Christmas boating

nicknorman

Featured Posts

We have just tied up below Haywood lock by the packhorse bridge. Very tranquil here with only 3 boats on the Shugborough Hall straight, and none on the 48 hr moorings between bridge and lock. We'll spend Christmas Day here, Boxing Day mother and sister are coming for roast beef so we will take a trip round Tixall Wide. My only worry is that I don't see how Santa can deliver his presents unless I leave the stove door open! Is anyone else boating this Christmas? (stupid question!)

Anyway, wishing everyone a very Happy Christmas!

Edited by nicknorman

Not any more - when Trojan was moored at the end of our garden (as in my avatar) we used to take her a couple of miles to the next winding hole at Outwell around noon, turn round and call at the Globe Inn in Upwell on the way back. Usually a few local people hitched a ride, we draped some tinsel on the boat and got hoots and waves from passing motorists. Happy memories, enjoy your floating Yuletide.

We have just arrived at nc. Plan is to head out for a short cruise to Saxilby tomorrow for a few dinner time pints.

Sadly we have to be back in Sheffield for Boxing Day evening for a party but we are back again on Friday morning, or I may stay of the booze and drive back on Thursday evening.

Our first Christmas on the boat, plan is to pick better half up from work at 09.30, get back to boat, untie and just go. (Life long ambition, wind permitting). A good way to relax before the family onslaught on Boxing Day (some how I got stitched into cooking for 18 at the inlaws.) Have a good one

Andy.

Have a great Xmas Meggers and keep an eye on your lines as the level has come up about a foot today.

Phil

Not where you are I know but we expected the water levels on the Fossditch to be high today. We were pleasantly surprised to find it at normal levels, if anything perhaps an inch of so high but nothing to worry about.

We have just tied up below Haywood lock by the packhorse bridge. Very tranquil here with only 3 boats on the Shugborough Hall straight, and none on the 48 hr moorings between bridge and lock. We'll spend Christmas Day here, Boxing Day mother and sister are coming for roast beef so we will take a trip round Tixall Wide. My only worry is that I don't see how Santa can deliver his presents unless I leave the stove door open! Is anyone else boating this Christmas? (stupid question!)

There was a thread recently entitled "shall I leave the cowl off" ... this would seem to me to be a crucial question if Santa is to have any hope at all!

Merry Christmas!

Boat all provisioned,fuelled and watered.

Alas the Thames at Windsor is running rather fast

Summer flow 11-20 CUMECS,full flood is 170,at present is 140.

can navigate at that flow,but not fun ,just work!

Cheers everyone,raise a glass to the boating life,41 years so far!

There was a thread recently entitled "shall I leave the cowl off" ... this would seem to me to be a crucial question if Santa is to have any hope at all!

Merry Christmas!

I have been told that he can get into modern blocks of flats that don't even have chimneys or fireplaces! Perhaps he has got some magical powers. I am going to wait up tonight and ask him.

George ex nb Alton retired

Boat all provisioned,fuelled and watered.

Alas the Thames at Windsor is running rather fast

Summer flow 11-20 CUMECS,full flood is 170,at present is 140.

can navigate at that flow,but not fun ,just work!

Cheers everyone,raise a glass to the boating life,41 years so far!

A CUMEC, for those wondering, is a cubic metre per second. Or a ton per second. It was actually 149 tons/sec at Maidenhead this morning, the maximum in recent years being 189, if I remember correctly.

For those on drying moorings it's rather nice. We don't dry out.

We're moored in Whaley Bridge and it's our first Christmas afloat - we are having beef and roasters and a lovely walk through Bugsworth Basin up the old tramline to the top past Chinley! Have s lovely day all (Santa doesn't need a chimney but it helps)

Normally we go out on the boat, have toasted bacon &mushroom sandwiches for lunch, then go home as it gets dark for the traditional Christmas blow-out. This year we are down in Bristol so slightly different.

The one to remember was a few years ago when, preparing the boat on Christmas Eve, I fell off the back, cracked a couple of ribs followed by a full immersion! Still went out next day though - well you have to don't you?

ETA: And merry Christmas everyone!

Edited by dor

I have been told that he can get into modern blocks of flats that don't even have chimneys or fireplaces! Perhaps he has got some magical powers. I am going to wait up tonight and ask him.

George ex nb Alton retired

Not sure how he got into nc but he has been :)

Naughty Cal

This bit from a previous post is a bit worrying.

but we are back again on Friday morning, or I may stay of the booze and drive back on Thursday evening.

Driving on Friday, still stay off the booze, more 'drunk drivers' are caught in the morning than the evening.

Have a good time but stay safe.

I'm staying on the boat because I'm working all over Christmas, and the commute is easier by car from here than it is from home. We're hoping to go out for my three days off from Saturday, but if the next storm comes in as forecast I not sure it would be wise...

I thought I recognised your boat name, we are one of the three at shugborough. I love your red led lit gunwales!

We ventured out today, cruising for a couple of hours then returned to shugborough. It has been beautiful.

Merry christmas everybody :)

Edited by Monkey 1