Advice Re: Traction Batteries Please

Bod

Featured Posts

My boat came with 4 Hawker Oldham 3KQ11/VPB6/200 batteries, series/paralleled to give 12v 440amp/hr.

Checking the SG of each, has given 2 batteries at 1.25-1.3. 1 battery at 1.2. The last , 2 cells at 1.15, 1 cell not reading.

Given these batteries have had a previous career powering a Cherry picker, and as best I can judge from other posts is, some say change all batteries, if only one is duff, others say, change out only the duff one!

The cost of these batteries (modern equivalant, as 3KQ11s have not been made for nearly 10 years) is very much on par with 110amp "leisure", taking in the cost of rebuilding the battery box, etc.

Should I replace, just 1, or 2, or all 4?

Thanks Bod

I would change all 4, crikey 10 yrs service cant complain, I can give you a supplier same size but slightly more powerfull for a £100. each. And if you get another ten years service, @£40.00 a year that should keep you happy gluck regards Martin

I'd probably buy something like a couple of Trojan T105s unless you can get by with just a pair of the existing.

Use the two new ones as a series pair, with the best two of the old set forming another series pair. Of the remaining two old ones, possibly keep the better one as a spare.

Then keep an eye on things, check the SGs from time after a FULL charge and a bit of a rest period, maybe check after a typical discharge too.

I'm not sure replacing just one would work all that great when used in series with an existing one, but who knows? Also the two weaker existing ones might respond to some careful EQ tho it sounds like the worst one really is kaput.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I would not mix old and new battereis that are connected in series but would if they were in parallel. As all of yours have one in series I would advise 4 new. (One battery with high resistance - or low - would have a detrimental effect on its pair charging wise.

Bit the bullet... Changed all 4.

Replaced with 4 off 6PC-185 from Powercell in Essex

They were the only firm at the Crick show, who knew what a 3KQ11 was!

So much power now!!

Just letting the Smartgauge reset itself.

Tip of the day.

Do not replace batteries in a heat wave.

Thanks all.

Bod

So much power now!!

Tip of the day.

Thanks all.

Bod

Presumably Powercell 6V 185Ah, so you have 370Ah at 12V?

How much per battery and what are their dimensions? May suit some of us better than Trojans.

Thanks

So much power now!!

Tip of the day.

Thanks all.

Bod

Fair enough, if the old set have a couple of decent ones you could probably sell them to a needy boater for a bit over scrap £.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

• 2 weeks later...

Presumably Powercell 6V 185Ah, so you have 370Ah at 12V?

How much per battery and what are their dimensions? May suit some of us better than Trojans.

Thanks

Sorry to be so long getting back, been checking the new batteries on a cruise!

They are Dyno Europe GC2-HD. 6 volt 220(20HR). 180(5HR)

261mm long

181mm wide

275mm high over terminals

Terminals have both the tapered posts and M8 studs.

Make sure you get a lifting strap with them, they are very heavy!!

£120 inc VAT each + del

2 batts in series to give 12 volts

2 series paralleled to give 440 AH at 12 volts

All being charged on the go with a 50 amp alternator.

I believe these batteries can be safely discharged down to 20% charge rather than the normal 50%. However the recharge time would be very much longer!!!

Bod

Similar in price, size, and shape, to Trojan T105s. My batteries are 363mm x 175mm, so would have the same problem with fitting as I would with Trojans.

They would be quite quick to charge from your 20% to 70% or so, probably taking the full 50A for much of the time, 4 hrs or so, then slowing down towards 100%.

I had proper traction batteries on this boat when I bought it. They were 2 volt units with 8mm thick lead plates and weighed 54 kilos each. 4 were good one was ok ish and one was rather naffed all down to total misuse over a period of years. Rather than pee about getting two new ones at great cost or fitting six new ones at astronomical cost I gave them to a pikey to take away and had the battery bit rewired and put good old cheapo 110 amp hour 12 volt jobbies fitted instead. A very good decision. 2 years on my cheapos are still going strong and very easy to replace.

Tim

I had proper traction batteries on this boat when I bought it. They were 2 volt units with 8mm thick lead plates and weighed 54 kilos each. 4 were good one was ok ish and one was rather naffed all down to total misuse over a period of years. Rather than pee about getting two new ones at great cost or fitting six new ones at astronomical cost I gave them to a pikey to take away and had the battery bit rewired and put good old cheapo 110 amp hour 12 volt jobbies fitted instead. A very good decision. 2 years on my cheapos are still going strong and very easy to replace.

Tim

You use electrickery? I didn't have you down as someone using all that newfangled stuff.

You use electrickery? I didn't have you down as someone using all that newfangled stuff.

he's done really well to keep his cheapos in good nick for two years,being hooked up to a landline hasn't helped at all.

my cheapos are just entering year 7,although I do have one to remove for revitalising or scrapping very soon.

he's done really well to keep his cheapos in good nick for two years,being hooked up to a landline hasn't helped at all.

my cheapos are just entering year 7,although I do have one to remove for revitalising or scrapping very soon.

True the last year has been on hook up but their first year was not. I have found through over twenty years without hook up that even cheapo batteries will last two years or even three if charged daily. Traction batteries still go duff unless kept correctly charged just like any other battery. I will be sticking to cheapo. They are still about sixty quid if you know where to buy them and it makes them easy and cheap to replace.

Tim

True the last year has been on hook up but their first year was not. I have found through over twenty years without hook up that even cheapo batteries will last two years or even three if charged daily. Traction batteries still go duff unless kept correctly charged just like any other battery. I will be sticking to cheapo. They are still about sixty quid if you know where to buy them and it makes them easy and cheap to replace.

Tim

Our battery plan had always been to replace our leisure bank every couple of years as we dont see the point in battling on with dying batteries that are on their last legs, its a false economy.

However we replaced our leisure bank with a pair of 105ah Vartas three years ago and they refuse to die. After three years there is no noticable drop in capacity (im sure there has been some but not enough to notice just yet). At £75 each they have been worth every penny of that money. We will certainly be using Varta batteries again.

Our battery plan had always been to replace our leisure bank every couple of years as we dont see the point in battling on with dying batteries that are on their last legs, its a false economy.

However we replaced our leisure bank with a pair of 105ah Vartas three years ago and they refuse to die. After three years there is no noticable drop in capacity (im sure there has been some but not enough to notice just yet). At £75 each they have been worth every penny of that money. We will certainly be using Varta batteries again.

£125+ now