Ecofan

mayalld

If you have ever used an ecofan  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Did it make any difference

• Yes, it made a huge difference
    • Yes, it made some difference
    • Well, I suppose that it made some difference, but not enough to justify the expense
    • I couldn't detect any difference, it is fine as an executive toy, but no use for heat distribution
    • HOW MUCH did I pay for this snake oil

Featured Posts

I'm sorry Dave, but as with many pollsters, I feel that you already have an agenda here, which is that ecofans are rubbish. Your choice of options reflects this.

Richard

Actually, no I don't have an agenda.

I own an Ecofan, which was given to me as an absurdly generous gift by a friend for looking after his boat whilst he was out of the country (He was in Canada, and they are apparently cheaper there), so I really don't have an axe to grind.

I own an Ecofan, which was given to me as an absurdly generous gift by a friend for looking after his boat whilst he was out of the country (He was in Canada, and they are apparently cheaper there), so I really don't have an axe to grind.

OK, thanks for clarifying that. I haven't voted because I don't own one.

Richard

An entirely non scientific survey to sound out opinions on the Ecofan

A 6v motor running at less than 1v CANNOT move much air. They are executive toys without a doubt. Anyone claiming that they make a big difference is kidding themselves. I own one and I'm sure it is ineffective.

We don't believe you.

I do, so who are the "We"? As far as I know Dave has never posted on an Ecofan thread giving an opinion on their effectiveness.

So are they effective?

I like watching mine going round and round and round and round ...

but I'm still not sure if the fan helps or not, I'd assume the layout of any given boat is going to be a big determining factor, also the rest of the heating system ... once my back boiler kicks in and the rads get hot I don't think the fan has got much of a job to do

... but it is very twinkly as is goes round and round and round ....

I think the effectiveness of the eco-fan is improved by forward motion of the baot, making them more useful to continuous cruisers than to those who moor in one place for a long time.

Only if you have the front doors open.

I like watching mine going round and round and round and round ...

... but it is very twinkly as is goes round and round and round ....

Exactly. That's why I bothered to repair mine

We (the memsahib and myself, not the 'royal' we) have TWO, one in the house and one in the boat.

I bought a two bladed model for the boat from the canal shop at Whilton and tested it on the Stockton 4 stove in the lounge of the house. The increase of warm air circulation was very noticeable so the memsahib announced she wanted one for the house as well so, off I went back to Whilton and bought a three bladed model which is even better given the larger size of the lounge.

Now it's on the boat, the two blader works very well in the smaller space of the boat.

Me, myself, I and the memsahib all think very highly of the Ecofan.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

I bought one the other year. I does help move the hot air around places it wouldn't normally go, but if you already have good circulation of air don't bother.

When placed on the hotter parts of the stove you can feel the heat in the air blown from it.

Mike

I wouldn't say that it makes a huge difference and I don't think that it makes a noticeable difference towards the back of the boat. However, SWMBO sits nearest to the fire and says that she no longer feels like she is being toasted on the side nearest to the heat source so it would appear that the fan is pushing heated air away from the immediate vicinity of the fire.

Same here - how about adding "I don't own one yet, I'm awaiting the results of this poll"?

Well the doom-mongers can say what they like. I had the two blade model and it spread the heat around down the full length of my 59ft nb cabin quite well. No-one would pretend that the temperature was as good in the stern bedroom as it was in the forward saloon but it was a damn sight better than without. Also, it certainly helped to keep your legs warmer in the saloon than they were before without it. No, it's not psychosomatic, it really works.

Roger

We have an Ecofan and it not only moves warm air around the cabin, it heats the boat, cooks meals and provides propulsion instead of a diesel engine.

Honest! :lol:

Yes but apart from that is it effective or is it merely an expensive executive toy with a few useful attributes?

I bought one the other year. I does help move the hot air around places it wouldn't normally go, but if you already have good circulation of air don't bother.

When placed on the hotter parts of the stove you can feel the heat in the air blown from it.

Mike

I do not think it is just about circulation which it certainly helps in the vicinity of the stove. It is also a useful indication by the ferocity of its working how hot the fire is and whether it can be damped more, etc.

Hi all..

We moved on board just over 2 weeks ago.. and were struggling with our morso squirrel.. finally got the balance between the upper and lower dampers sussed..things were ok for a couple of days.. then I splashed out on a 2 blader.. IMHO they work.. waking up nice and warm.. ( ps stove is not at the pointy end.. say mebbe a quarter of the length in? and we sleep in the blunt end just in front of the engine space [trad layout.. but only a 1989 boat.. mitsubishi engine.. not a nice shiny one ])

as above, when paying no attention to said stove, the ecofan tells me to shut dampers by singing to me.

After two very cold winters, I would buy another tommorow if this one disappeared tonight.

My mum also now swears by it as , after having cold feet in the lounge at home for years, now doesn't after seeing mine and taking the plunge to buy one for her stove at home.

The best way of proving it's effectiveness is to take it off the stove on a cold night for a few hours.

I got one with a boat I bought and didn't notice any difference, whether it was on the stove or in a draw.

I gave it away to a friend who thought that it transformd her whole boat.

Faith? Scientific miracle? Who knows.

Waste of money, in my opinion, best thing since sliced bread, in others' (I don't like sliced bread).