Has it gone out?

rusty69

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

That would be brilliant, now if only there's an eco fan that would generate electricity, and delivering the power through a usb, the camera could then be economically ecological.

Eeekofans do generate Lektrickery ,I measured one Years ago ,1.2 Watts at peak Power.Just enough to rotate a "Blunt" Fan!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cereal tiller said:

Eeekofans do generate Lektrickery ,I measured one Years ago ,1.2 Watts at peak Power.Just enough to rotate a "Blunt" Fan!

Did you measure it with a Watt 'o' meter? They used to be available from Captain OHM Watts:)

78 posts and no real solution. I send 'er to have a shufty. One issue I have is if 'er goes and the fire is dying, she shouts should I put coal in and open t'bottom door? Annoyingly I reply yes! I then realise that 'er can't close bottom door as we gave recently installed new fire rope. I realise once this is settled in it won't be an issue. I think in addition I need to leave post it notes near the fire with instructions. (Not too close, obviously). She can be so dim sometimes. There's only so many times you can instruct 'er to do the same task. 

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I've only got a Lee Ho! meter.It measures leeway ya know!

There's no leeway on this vessel!!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

78 posts and no real solution. I send 'er to have a shufty. One issue I have is if 'er goes and the fire is dying, she shouts should I put coal in and open t'bottom door? Annoyingly I reply yes! I then realise that 'er can't close bottom door as we gave recently installed new fire rope. I realise once this is settled in it won't be an issue. I think in addition I need to leave post it notes near the fire with instructions. (Not too close, obviously). She can be so dim sometimes. There's only so many times you can instruct 'er to do the same task. 

Spot on.....unfortunately the complexity of it all means I am always the one to go an have a shufty. The advantage of having an infrequent red thermometer is that I only need to walk half way down the boat.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Spot on.....unfortunately the complexity of it all means I am always the one to go an have a shufty. The advantage of having an infrequent red thermometer is that I only need to walk half way down the boat.

I'm not really cruel. Our bed is halfway down the boat with the fire in the saloon which is at the front. She only has approximately eight or nine steps to ascertain correct operation of said appliance. Less if it's evident that te fire is in pre set parameters of operation. If fire okay then the kettle is put on. As you're up, dear! Our galley is aft and as she passes she insists on talking to me. What's that all about?

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

............as she passes she insists on talking to me. What's that all about?

Women - they do that quite a lot.

SWMBO asked me to sort out one of the lights in the bathroom (not working) - I agreed to do it but then ……….. on and on and one and on...…………..

I said to her "look, I told you I'd do it,you don't need to remind me every 6 months"

Women - strange creatures !!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jess-- said:

fit a cat flap in the sliding door

if the flap is being held open or flapping in the wind the ecofan is running (and therefore the fire is lit)

if the cats have curled up on the bed and the flap isn't flapping the fire has probably gone out.

for better results I suggest shaving one cat, the shaved cat gets colder quicker (and will therefore arrive on your bed before the fire has died completely)

then it's a case of count the cats on the bed

0 cats : fire burning nicely
1 cat : Fire burning but cooling down
2 cats : Fire has gone out

Well, I have reconsidered.I've shaved the cat and will implement this method.Even given it a name.

Measurement Over Winter BAssociation Given by Proximity Utilising Sight of Smelly Eco-propelled balding feline through catflap method.(MEOW BAGPUSS).

download (1).jpeg

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

No I'm shivering, the fire's gone out!

Saw you creep past my mooring about mid-day today, with Rusty watching the world go by from the counter.

If you had looked behind you, Zeus and I were waving at you ?

• Greenie 1

Just now, cuthound said:

Saw you creep past my mooring about mid-day today, with Rusty watching the world go by from the counter.

If you had looked behind you, Zeus and I were waving at you ?

I was not.I don't like sitting on cold surfaces!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Right chaps and chapessesss. I have decided to ignore all your good advice, and just continue with my current time tested method.

Thanks for all your replies

You have forgotten to take umbrage at some of the responses.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I have just sourced some new state of the art fluorescent fuel and a powerful fan (not of the eco variety). The fan has been installed outside at the front of the boat, pointing aft towards where we sleep.

The fluorescent smoke now blows past our window, and will be easy not to see in the dark should it stop.

Presumably that also frees up extra living space in the boat as you can remove the engine? Wouldn't work do well with a reverse layout, unless you mounted the fan in such a way that it could be easily turned around,

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, cuthound said:

A bit beyond, you were looking at the lilac cottage opposite our house and carefully negotiating the bridge. ?

I’ve finally sussed out which house is yours. It’s the one with Delta Queen moored outside! 

I passed the other day and I waved at a shadowy figure looking out the window. They turned around and pretended not to have seen me. Can’t blame them really! 

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I’ve finally sussed out which house is yours. It’s the one with Delta Queen moored outside! 

I passed the other day and I waved at a shadowy figure looking out the window. They turned around and pretended not to have seen me. Can’t blame them really! 

Sorry Mike, but no pretending, we either genuinely didn't see you or possibly the dog distracted us by barking at something (not at all unusual).

What boat were you in, I don't recall seeing Reg or Aldebaron pass?

Give us a wave next time you pass and we will wave back. ?

26 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Sorry Mike, but no pretending, we either genuinely didn't see you or possibly the dog distracted us by barking at something (not at all unusual).

What boat were you in, I don't recall seeing Reg or Aldebaron pass?

Give us a wave next time you pass and we will wave back. ?

I was sure you would have waved back actually so I concluded the person was not you. Or yes, dog distracting you would explain it. 

I was in Reg, and yes of course I'll wave again next time!!

• Happy 1