When do you run your engine?

dor

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Peeve is a word.  Why would you think it isn't?  It's a word.  It's spelled 'peeve'.  It means 'a thing you get peeved about'.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/peeve

You're right, it is a word, but it's not a word that's used much without adding 'ed, pet, 'ing etc. 

In my defence 'Your Honour' Google did reveal that is wasn't a Scrabble word, but blow me down, I lost the search.... and now can't find it! 

I'm convinced Google tells lies!

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

CRT have the power to mount a prosecution under the bylaws, but choose never to do so, claiming it is not 'practicable' (or something like that). 

Translated into normal language, they can't be arsed. 

Or maybe their words are accurate - I have a little knowledge of the legal system in a similar but different context and it's far far harder (and more costly) than you might think to mount such a prosecution. I'm not surprised they don't.

7 hours ago, Rickent said:

If he spent some of the pub money on a new set of batteries he wouldn't have to run his engine all the time.

CRT have been informed but apparently he has broken down. Doesn't seem to be doing much to sort himself out, got a feeling he is here for the winter.

Possibly running it at night, so that CaRT checkers don't get to know the engine's operational?

(I always was the cynical type, and I'm aware that a knackered gearbox or driveplate, or a missing propeller will also prevent movement :) )

11 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I would think running it at 11pm for 2 hrs is a nuisance.

Possibly, but CRT see fit to exclude it expressly, probably on the basis that they are either not sure it’s actually a nuisance, or they are certain it isn’t actually a nuisance.

5 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

You're right, it is a word, but it's not a word that's used much without adding 'ed, pet, 'ing etc. 

In my defence 'Your Honour' Google did reveal that is wasn't a Scrabble word, but blow me down, I lost the search.... and now can't find it! 

I'm convinced Google tells lies!

Google isn’t a word

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Council's have a statutory duty to investigate noise nuisance complaints, so your 'probably' is just an opinion which is 'probably' just based on a hunch, rather than any real knowledge.  That said, council's are incredbly depleted in staff and resources at the moment, so it can be especially irksome dealing with endless reports/complaints which are typically borne out of long standing neighbour disputes rather than anything of substance.

The issue with boats being able to move is just saying it as it is.  It's the same reason boats are exempt from the clean air act.  The authorities would have loved to include boats but it's just not worth it.  Of course, Saddique Khan is clearly looking at ways to crack down on boaters, with the new visitor mooring stretch in Islington outlawing engine running by installing electric bollards.

The thing that really interests me is what happens if you don't comply.  For example, if a boater moored on a visitor mooring by some houses with a history of complaining about boats, and then the boater ran their engine 24/7 indefinitely.  What would actually happen?  What would CRT do?

My experience of complaints to the council about noise is that they suggest that the complainant keep a diary and make recordings, before they can consider taking action.

So the issue gets kicked into the long grass unless the complainant does what is suggested.

(For clarity, am a landlord and work with a letting agent, so have a bit more experience than most of this type of thing, although rarely actual experience of the nuisance).

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

My experience of complaints to the council about noise is that they suggest that the complainant keep a diary and make recordings, before they can consider taking action.

So the issue gets kicked into the long grass unless the complainant does what is suggested.

(For clarity, am a landlord and work with a letting agent, so have a bit more experience than most of this type of thing, although rarely actual experience of the nuisance).

That’s exactly right. The diary provides the evidence base for any prosecution. It also helpfully weeds out time wasters. Anyone with a genuine issue will be keen to note it all down.