Wigrams turn marina

Featured Posts

42 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Well we could have run the engine but with oil lights and hand start it would have created only heat... it was before the 8 pm thing though and we had a full commercial licence. I think it was the wearing of D J s that really upset her. Mine had Wimpy on the back and Dr S’s had MPSC. 

In Hull Marina a few years ago, there was a very nice 40ft motor-sailer, owned by a businessman from Wakefield. He took great delight, when returning to the marina after a days sailing on the Humber, by wearing a National Coal board Donkey Jacket, a flat cap,  waving a can of beer and speaking loudly in a broad Barnsley accent. There were some marina "gongoozlers" who tutted and made caustic comments about overpaid miners etc! He spent a lot of time looking in antique shops for a stuffed Whippet or a Greyhound to finish off his "look" but alas he could never find one!:boat:

Howard

• Greenie 2

DJs?

I thought you meant dinner jackets at first :unsure: !

I used to have a lovely DJ with dayglow orange shoulders and 'British Coal' in big bold black capital letters on the back.

I brought it home.

My mother hated it.

I think she threw it out when I wasn't looking.

?

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:28, RLWP said:

With electrical posts to restrict the width, so when you are pushing a trolley full of tools you  have to get right near the edge....

yes I would say this is the only negative feature about mooring at Wigrams Turn.   Otherwise found it a nice place to be and very handy for several routes in the area!

On 3 August 2018 at 17:06, Dr Bob said:

I wasnt going to post on here 'selling' Wigrams Turn but I just cant accept that.

Yes, the washing machines are always busy but we have one on the boat. The toilets were re-fitted last year and are in good condition. We only use them infrequently but NEVER found them dirty or unusable in the last year. Since being there from May last year, I have only found the bins overflowing once and bags were then placed neatly in front - and it was picked up/emptied later that day. They often get full but only that once overflowing. They are also often empty. The car park is not always full. I have NEVER not found a spot in the main car park (summer or winter). There is an overflow car park up which has taken pressure off the main car park.

Came into the marina this morning for temp mooring. Great staff. Clean well kept marina. Only a fifteen minute drive to the two boats for beer with that old Phart  Nightwatch. What's not to like? ?

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Came into the marina this morning for temp mooring. Great staff. Clean well kept marina. Only a fifteen minute drive to the two boats for beer with that old Phart  Nightwatch. What's not to like? ?

Not being to stay for another. I, to, am back onboard suffering Emmerdale. Less of he old!!

Edited by Nightwatch

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Not being to stay for another. I, to, am back onboard suffering Emmerdale

Yep it's been on here too and a second session later ?

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

We called Wigram's reception this morning, and said we thought we'd be filling our diesel tank on Saturday. They said the diesel point wont be open on Saturday as it's a busy turn-around (Black Prince) day.  Just thought I'd mention this.

Yes it does say that at the marina entrance. There is no way hire fleet turround staff have the time to mess about with diesel and pump outs for private boaters when they have hire boats to sort out, that's the same at most hire bases.

Stay on the tow path outside the marine (Braunston Side) and fill up when they're not so busy. Seems a common reason for not supplying normal service. Calcutt do the same. Although I would, personally, prefer to use Calcutt

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep it's been on here too and a second session later ?

Yes it does say that at the marina entrance. There is no way hire fleet turround staff have the time to mess about with diesel and pump outs for private boaters when they have hire boats to sort out, that's the same at most hire bases.

The sign has actually softened from what it used to say.  Previously it just said no services on a Saturday, now it says that on a Saturday to call first.  Seems fair if it is rammed there with the BP boats.  You can always go to Calcutt for fuel, you have to go down one lock though, but they do services anytime they are open.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The sign has actually softened from what it used to say.  Previously it just said no services on a Saturday, now it says that on a Saturday to call first.  Seems fair if it is rammed there with the BP boats.  You can always go to Calcutt for fuel, you have to go down one lock though, but they do services anytime they are open.

Not always. Seriously, if they're busy they don't.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Nearly caught up with you!

We're in the Napton flight overnight, 3 locks down, 6 to go tomorrow morning then lunch in the Folly probably.

Down Calcutt locks and into Ventnor Marina (Wigram's sister marina, also managed by Steve) on Saturday.