Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Actually I have another idea. How about Tom himself buys a boat to renovate and films himself undertaking the project? 

He would get shedloads of advice on here about how to do it and earn considerable towpath cred.

Didn't something like this happen with a boat called "Dover." :captain:

If I remember correctly needed replating not long after.

37 minutes ago, Robbo said:

You could call it “Re-Restoring Dover”

9 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Hence my suggestion on the program name..

Appears to be for sale

https://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/dover-historic-converted-large-woolwich-narrowboat/

As its available Maybe the op might want to do a followup type programme, possibly in conjunction with Alan herd? 

Eta

Just noticed video says now sold. Still might be an option if nothing else turns up. 

Edited by reg

1 hour ago, reg said:

It was my impression from the start that this was never really a programme about boats but more a programme about interiors, in this case the interest would be on the boats interior and 'interesting' fit out and personalities. 

So not really a boat programme more a lifestyle programme. 

Would this be a correct assessment? 

Might be useful to those who may wish to get involved if this is clarified. 

Hey Reg, 

Happy to clarify. It's not really an interiors show - it's about amazing and unusual homes, so focus for the most part is really on the building itself (exteriors, structural design and location), although with a boat that's more challenging unless it's wildly unusual (a repurposed oil rig lifeboat or something of that nature), so we probably would want it to have nice interiors as there's only so much footage you can shoot of the outside.

There's no presenter, it's not really a "lifestyle" show in the way that term is usually used, more just a profile of cool properties. 

Just to add as well, there's a few people suggesting we want to find 'canal people' to make them look like oddballs. That isn't remotely the case, we're really after people with warm personalities, youngish couple would be ideal but open to all possibilities at this stage.  

Have a great evening, 

Tom 

11 minutes ago, rapidriverswinding said:

Hey Reg, 

Happy to clarify. It's not really an interiors show - it's about amazing and unusual homes, so focus for the most part is really on the building itself (exteriors, structural design and location), although with a boat that's more challenging unless it's wildly unusual (a repurposed oil rig lifeboat or something of that nature), so we probably would want it to have nice interiors as there's only so much footage you can shoot of the outside.

There's no presenter, it's not really a "lifestyle" show in the way that term is usually used, more just a profile of cool properties. 

Just to add as well, there's a few people suggesting we want to find 'canal people' to make them look like oddballs. That isn't remotely the case, we're really after people with warm personalities, youngish couple would be ideal but open to all possibilities at this stage.  

Have a great evening, 

Tom 

Thanks for the reply and the clarification.

Its just that a number of people have been burnt, or at least singed, by a program editors idea of what constitutes a canal character. When the person doesn't fit their ideas then the have been edited to make them out to be who, and I've known some personally, they are not. Bad practices in all fields of life I suppose. 

Hope you find what you need and we can all be pleasantly surprised. 

Edited by reg

43 minutes ago, rapidriverswinding said:

Hey Reg, 

Have a great evening, 

Tom 

Well you seem to have addressed all of the doubts and questions raised by everyone, so well done there ……… oh, hang on …. no you haven't, there was the relevant question about remuneration.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Redundant word.

Or is there such a thing as new adage? :giggles:

But good point all the same.

Murphy’s law is a relatively new adage ;)

3 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Call it 'A Narrowboat is born' and have it presented by Mark Evans. This format did start with a Car and went on from there. So the format does work. Plus he lives on the River Wey.

A Car Is Born (build of an AC Cobra replica) - 15 episodes

A Plane Is Born (build of a 200 mph kit aeroplane) - 15 episodes

A Car Is Reborn (total restoration of an E Type Jaguar) - 15 episodes

A Chopper Is Born (build of a kit, two-seater helicopter) - 15 episodes

A Bike Is Born - Harley (restoration of a Harley WLC45) - 5 episodes

A Bike Is Born - Bonneville (restoration of a Triumph Bonneville T120R) - 5 episodes

A Bike Is Born - Trike (build of a Boom Power Trike) - 5 episodes

A Race Car Is Born (build of a Westfield race car) - 15 episodes

A 4x4 Is Born (build of an extreme off-road Land Rover) - 15 episodes

An MG Is Born (restoration of an MGB Roadster) - 10 episodes

I pitched the idea of A Narrowboat is Born to another company but they told me that i2i TV (who made the ‘Is Born’ series) already had one in the pipeline and it turned out to be the Alan Herd ‘Dover’ series. 

3 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

have it presented by Mark Evans.

Not only is he heavily into diesels (and animals) these days but ‘Pete Mate’ is very frail now. 

It might help journey with jono to get his interior fitted out, as there seems no end in sight, but it won't be impressive, it will be practical and technical.

Jono is the guy with a passion for lithium batteries. 

Colin Jaques is a great guy, with all the skills, but I can't see him being pushed to finish to meet a timescale like that.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Ray T said:

And completely re-refitting after that!

I'm amazed more people have not picked up on.....

1. Ideally a boat that is still being worked on but that will be finished in August (although one that has just been finished might also work)

Does the OP have any idea just how slowly things move in the world of cana; boat restoration or refitting?

Unless they mean August 2019, of course?

Edited by alan_fincher