Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
pearley

Whining Propellor

Featured Posts

We have just had our stern gear replaced, the prop because I'd taken a chunk out of it due to hitting something solid and the shaft, cutlass bearing and dripless stern gland (Volvo stuffing box) due to wear. On leaving the dock and heading up the canal we now have a whine in forward gear only from tickover to just over 1000 rpm. 

 

With the previous propellor there was about one finger of shaft exposed between the prop and hull. I can now get two fingers in easily. This gives less than an inch clearance between the end of the shaft and the leading edge of the rudder blade. Could this be the cause? 

 

It's a Vetus prop, shaft and bearing with a Vetus badged Centaflex coupling. Just the gland seal is Volvo Penta. 

Edited by pearley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At certain blade speeds you can get a "chirp" which is more of an off board noise, easier to hear from outside or in a nearby boat. This is dependant on the blade shape and edges and the position relevant to the rudder and hull.

 

A "whine" after repair because of a damage event would suggest gearbox or stern gland to me. Particularly if noticeable on board. Did they hammer the blade off the shaft?

 

So what precisely is the noise like?

Edited by Boater Sam
smellings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the words "with the previous propeller" are significant. I bet the previous one was more substantial than the replacement. I and others have complained about whining propellers. It is annoying if you suffer from it. In our case it was impossible to ignore. Sometimes filing the edges does the trick

 

How far the shaft extends beyond the stern gland seems to affect things too.

 

Our noise didn't go away until we replaced the propeller.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

At certain blade speeds you can get a "chirp" which is more of an off board noise, easier to hear from outside or in a nearby boat. This is dependant on the blade shape and edges and the position relevant to the rudder and hull.

 

A "whine" after repair because of a damage event would suggest gearbox or stern gland to me. Particularly if noticeable on board. Did they hammer the blade off the shaft?

 

So what precisely is the noise like?

It's a whine increasing in intensity until just over 1000 revs when it disappears. Stern gland is a dripless Volvo one and was replaced. Bearing was replaced. 

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

I think the words "with the previous propeller" are significant. I bet the previous one was more substantial than the replacement. I and others have complained about whining propellers. It is annoying if you suffer from it. In our case it was impossible to ignore. Sometimes filing the edges does the trick

 

How far the shaft extends beyond the stern gland seems to affect things too.

 

Our noise didn't go away until we replaced the propeller.     

Engineer has been back and tapped shaft further into the coupling. Whine when in gear whilst still tied up seems to have gone now. We'll see/hear properly when we move tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Cheap prop used?  Happens a lot.  Go see Crowthers for a proper one.

Old and new props are both Vetus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would guess that this is prop singing, usual cure is apparently filing the edges to sharpen them but when I had a singing prop it just went away eventually, I think that when the prop grew a coating of what is probably metal deposits from the anodes and hull it changed it just that little bit. I try not to think about that too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bee said:

I would guess that this is prop singing, usual cure is apparently filing the edges to sharpen them but when I had a singing prop it just went away eventually, I think that when the prop grew a coating of what is probably metal deposits from the anodes and hull it changed it just that little bit. I try not to think about that too much.

I suspect a few nicks from stones altered the vibration frequency of one or two blades a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.