wyrley essington

haza

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Must have been a lot of water heading down to the Staffs and Worcs as according to Birmingham live the locks down the Wolverhampton flight were 20 feet deep last night!

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/firemen-rescue-three-men-20ft-14737320

Crap local newspaper reporting I think!  By 20ft down do then mean 3 locks down from the Wolverhampton level, or did they just make up a number.

28 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Crap local newspaper reporting I think!  By 20ft down do then mean 3 locks down from the Wolverhampton level, or did they just make up a number.

It's actually a quote from the West Mids Fire spokesman, but don't let that stop you having a go at the journo.

23 hours ago, RLWP said:

Not really. I can't see how the Birmingham level is down 6" because of a breach on the higher Wolverhampton level. More of an opinion piece

Richard

Its my blog, I mentioned the level being down on the OML came from someone on the OML, I was using it to illustrate that the suggested explanation of boat movements could possibly have a parallel on the OML. I considered it unlikely as did others and sadly we were shown to be correct in our surmising following the discovery of the breach. 
Glad to see the work is progressing at pace. Be interesting to see the extent of the damage and how long it will take to repair.

3 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

It's actually a quote from the West Mids Fire spokesman, but don't let that stop you having a go at the journo.

You might be right it’s hard to tell, but the newspaper still published it, perhaps if the fire service were not making sense they should have clarified what they meant, it does not change the fact the statement does not really mean anything.

52 minutes ago, AMModels said:

Its my blog, I mentioned the level being down on the OML came from someone on the OML, I was using it to illustrate that the suggested explanation of boat movements could possibly have a parallel on the OML. I considered it unlikely as did others and sadly we were shown to be correct in our surmising following the discovery of the breach. 
Glad to see the work is progressing at pace. Be interesting to see the extent of the damage and how long it will take to repair.

Thanks for the photos Andy, keep taking them

Richard

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Thanks for the photos Andy, keep taking them

Richard

Some very good friends are in the area and taking the pics for me, next update will be tomorrow now, photographer will try and get as close to the action as possible. The engineer I mention is very clued in on this sort of thing and his insights have been invaluable. 

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, springy said:

IMG_1286.JPG.43d968ef695d6d187a7a65fbae1082ce.JPG

above taken at about 2:30 - northern side dam framework in progress, at 6:30 the gang were still working, the northern framework was complete and they had started on the southern dam - close to teeces bridge & much shorter span than the northern one. Don't know how late they will be working but I was told that engineers hope to inspect the culvert tomorrow so they've got a bit to do, it's warm there and I reckon they'll deserve a pint when they finish !

springy  

Told you Richard!

Always fascinates me when I see an empty stretch of canal to see exactly what we are boating over. 

Hope everyone who was grounded are now afloat again. 

Edited by reg

A few pics from this evening - on site the depression resulting from the collapse can be seen, its a bit less obvious on the pics

IMG_1293.JPG.4e2148931a86422282b16f3b4f5adb7d.JPG

Usual debris

IMG_1289.JPG.0caf68ea8c18376d1ec2c264ab9ac411.JPG

Slight depression line between pallet bottom left and the single plank 

IMG_1296.JPG.ced028d3b5f42a2fe455fe02de6ba77f.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG.98ee425668065bf457d7cd1237fe14bb.JPG

IMG_1304.JPG.93a6ef9379e22cee62e542e297d8ff20.JPG

springy

crt guy just told me abt 4 weeks ..but the same guy told me it was the valve at chase water ..he also said as they got the iron man event this weekend at chase water  and  they dont want to turn the valve on ....funny old world hey .could being stuck on the bed of the canal  for 5/6 weeks do any damage regards 

Being sat on the bottom is unlikely to damage a steel boat ( unless something small & hard finds a soft spot), what is more possible is that sitting there for a few weeks you will be more "stuck in the mud" and low well deck drains could possibly be caught as the level rises again - unlikely but possible.

Wooden boat or wooden bottom - be ready with a pump ! - you might not need it and it things may even improve, but ...

springy   

1 hour ago, haza said:

crt guy just told me abt 4 weeks ..but the same guy told me it was the valve at chase water ..he also said as they got the iron man event this weekend at chase water  and  they dont want to turn the valve on ....funny old world hey .could being stuck on the bed of the canal  for 5/6 weeks do any damage regards 

I wondered if they were not able to use Chasewater to fill that side up given there isnow a stoppage restriction on Rushall locks. Hopefully they will be able to turn it on after the weekend.

4 hours ago, haza said:

4 weeks to fix the leak or 4 weeks to refill the canal?

Not sure what the CRT guy is talking about but according to rangers/locals the Chasewater valves have been running since mid April and are still running now. CW is full according to those who have walked around it, easily up to the grassed areas and all boat ramps are usable. As springy has mentioned the level is rising to the section north of the dam and the only place water comes from to do that is Chasewater, I would suggest he is either pulling your leg or talking round his hat.

Closing Rushall locks makes sense as it would take water out of the section that is already low, I would imagine they will reopen once the level is back to normal. Although theres no mention of any closure on CRT stoppages page.

Edited by AMModels

49 minutes ago, AMModels said:

Not sure what the CRT guy is talking about but according to rangers/locals the Chasewater valves have been running since mid April and are still running now. CW is full according to those who have walked around it, easily up to the grassed areas and all boat ramps are usable. As springy has mentioned the level is rising to the section north of the dam and the only place water comes from to do that is Chasewater, I would suggest he is either pulling your leg or talking round his hat.

Closing Rushall locks makes sense as it would take water out of the section that is already low, I would imagine they will reopen once the level is back to normal. Although theres no mention of any closure on CRT stoppages page.

The stoppage notice for Rushall is here https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13213/rushall-locks

• Greenie 1