wyrley essington

haza

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, haza said:

hello every one would any one now why the wyley essington is about  12 inches down thanks 

The Wyrley & Essington is on the Wolverhampton level so that would mean the whole level is down. That's very surprising and I would have thought it would require some significant event to achieve that. It was fine at the weekend before the massive storms.

You aren't on the Rushall flight are you?

JP

9 minutes ago, haza said:

hello every one would any one now why the wyley essington is about  12 inches down thanks 

No idea but it was very good at 4am on Sunday, very fast.  If it is 12in down then basically there is no water in it.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

School holidays , Wolverhampton flight probably emptied or a sluice lifted somewhere.

12" off the line from Smethwick locks, including the Bradely arm, the bit to the top of the 21, the W&E, Daw end, Cannock extension and Anglesey basin?

That's a lot of water

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Google led me to Wikipedia!

Ahh, bet you underestimated then

im near brownhills im looking at the waterline now ..and i would say its down more then 12 inch ..if i knew how to put photos up i would ...why would i say such a thing if it was not so ,,

I had in mind that the Wolverhampton Level was about 50 miles, and the Birmingham Level about 60, but Wikipedia suggests both are about 10 miles less. Perhaps my figures are for the full extent before the closure of various arms and branches.

I remember being in Paddington basin in 2010 when someone opened all the Camden lock paddles during the night. Next morning the pound was almost 2 feet down and lots of damage caused around Camden locks to the towpaths and ad joining properties. That pound including Slough arm is 22 miles

Just now, haza said:

im near brownhills im looking at the waterline now ..and i would say its down more then 12 inch ..if i knew how to put photos up i would ...why would i say such a thing if it was not so ,,

Because you are sat in the middle of an enormous pound of water, and there has be a lot of rain over the past few days. I was boating in a thunderstorm there at 3:00am on Sunday morning and it hammered down

Losing 12" of water in such a short time is very unlikely

There is an overflow on the towpath side opposite Silver Street/ Tescos at Brownhills. Can you see a foot of concrete between the lip of that and the water level?

Richard

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I had in mind that the Wolverhampton Level was about 50 miles, and the Birmingham Level about 60, but Wikipedia suggests both are about 10 miles less. Perhaps my figures are for the full extent before the closure of various arms and branches.

Canalplan gives Longwood to Engine Arm as 31.31 miles, adding the bits is probably another 7 miles or so, so a bit under 40 miles I would say.  A lot of water at 12 inches down, particularly as the level was above normal on Sunday I would say.

Has the OP spoken to CRT?

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Canalplan gives Longwood to Engine Arm as 31.31 miles, adding the bits is probably another 7 miles or so, so a bit under 40 miles I would say.  A lot of water at 12 inches down, particularly as the level was above normal on Sunday I would say.

Has the OP spoken to CRT?

Lots of mine workings under that area, although I'd expect the OP to be asking about the flow on the canal, not the level if the canal was draining away

Walsall locks is another possibility, they';re still quite a long way from Brownhills

11 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Lots of mine workings under that area, although I'd expect the OP to be asking about the flow on the canal, not the level if the canal was draining away

Walsall locks is another possibility, they';re still quite a long way from Brownhills

Unless it’s gone into mime workings, you would expect somewhere is seriously flooded.  I really think CRT need to be on this.

Just now, john6767 said:

Unless it’s gone into mime workings, you would expect somewhere is seriously flooded.  I really think CRT need to be on this.

If it really is down 12", they absolutely do

17 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Because you are sat in the middle of an enormous pound of water, and there has be a lot of rain over the past few days. I was boating in a thunderstorm there at 3:00am on Sunday morning and it hammered down

Losing 12" of water in such a short time is very unlikely

There is an overflow on the towpath side opposite Silver Street/ Tescos at Brownhills. Can you see a foot of concrete between the lip of that and the water level?

Richard

We were moored there overnight. Woke this morning with boat aground and listing. The weir board was showing about 3 inches. We left this morning for Bentley Bridge. The gauge board at the Fingerpost Pub would indicate the level about 6 inches down and where there was piling so you could see the watermark would seem to confirm this. I spoke to CRT this morning who said they were aware and investigating. 

Terrible journey to Bentley Bridge, bumping over stuff in the bridgeholes and filled 3 bin bags with stuff off the prop. Worst thing was striking something solid and taking a chunk out of the prop. 

So back into the dry dock in a couple of weeks. 

Just because it's 12" down in one place, it's not safe to assume it's 12" down over the whole 40 miles. It'll take a long time to drain 40 miles of shallow, meandering canal through a point leak. I just googled "hydraulic gradient" and was boggled, but my intuition is that  the canal could be empty at one point and still full only a few miles away, at least for a while.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

Just now, MoominPapa said:

I just googled "hydraulic gradient" and was boggled

This is why the often suggested 'let's use the canals for shifting lots of water' idea doesn't work. No-one wants to raise the towpaths by four foot at the upstream end

Richard

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

There you go - I'm wrong and the OP is right

I wonder where all that lovely water has gone?

Richard

No, you were not wrong. The level was down but it seemed 3 inches to me going by the amount of board showing at the overflow weir at Brownhills. At Pelsall it was 6 inches down and it is still 6 inches down at Bentley Bridge. 

Don't know where the OP is moored, presumably the Longwood side of Brownhills. 

2 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Just because it's 12" down in one place, it's not safe to assume it's 12" down over the whole 40 miles. It'll take a long time to drain 40 miles of shallow, meandering canal through a point leak. I just googled "hydraulic gradient" and was boggled, but my intuition is that  the canal could be empty at one point and still full only a few miles away, at least for a while.

MP.

If it was 3 inches down at Browhills this morning and it is 12 inches down now, the level is going to be empty by morning you would think.

8 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

Following that it led me to

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chézy_formula

Which for some bizzare reason they tried to hammer into my head at uni.

Anyway sorry to wander off topic

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

If it was 3 inches down at Browhills this morning and it is 12 inches down now, the level is going to be empty by morning you would think.

No, it's only 6 inches down, and has stayed at that since 11am. We'll see in the morning if it's stabilised or hopefully recovered. 

thanks pearley for that .have a safe journey ..and to the others i never said the whole canal .but i should have just said around brownhills ..i am just going to have a  walk to to the overflow point .i wil report back later .