Installing new battery

Featured Posts

The grease that should be applied is white lithium grease. ... The idea is to apply the grease to the terminal after you have connected and tightened the battery cable. This will create a layer of grease between the conducting surfaces and the surrounding air and moisture, and thus, prevent corrosion.

a quote from t’internet which I accord with.

Greasing after making the connection is fine. I never bother though and none of my battery terminals show the slightest hint of corrosion, so I consider it pointless. Just makes the terminals messy to removal again when the time comes. 

Grease is an electrical insulator however, so greasing battery posts before making the connections is inviting trouble. 

No, battery terminal dressing or Vaseline applied to the post before fitting the clamps. Any that squeezes out spread over the clamp (especially the threads) and any exposed conductors where the insulation has shrunk back.

The idea is that it is all but impossible to stop acid weeping up the post/lid seal and with Vaseline filling any gaps between clamp and post the acid can not get to the interface and cause corrosion.

Sticking grease on the outside of the clamps is a modern idea from the motor trade where its easy to do and shows the customer something has been done.

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

No, battery terminal dressing or Vaseline applied to the post before fitting the clamps. Any that squeezes out spread over the clamp (especially the threads) and any exposed conductors where the insulation has shrunk back.

The idea is that it is all but impossible to stop acid weeping up the post/lid seal and with Vaseline filling any gaps between clamp and post the acid can not get to the interface and cause corrosion.

Sticking grease on the outside of the clamps is a modern idea from the motor trade where its easy to do and shows the customer something has been done.

Yup,

That is what I was taught to do over 40 years ago, after first burnishing the post and inside of clamp to bright metal.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect

33 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

No, battery terminal dressing or Vaseline applied to the post before fitting the clamps.

This is a recipe for a high resistance battery connection in my personal experience. 

Did it on my car when I was 17, following advice in a car mag. Engine wouldn't turn over afterwards, until I thoroughly cleaned off all the vaseline. 

No it isn't.

We used to install hundreds of battery banks for telephone exchange backup, thousands of amps at 48 volts and all the battery makers insisted on proper terminal grease on every cleaned connection before fitting with the excess wiped off after fitting. And they should know, they have to guarantee the batteries on pain of immense liability.

The grease does not interfere with the connection as long as it is clean and tight.

Smearing it all over the outside of the clamp is a garage con trick to look as though they care, but not enough to strip and clean the connection.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

proper terminal grease

So what is the difference between proper terminal grease and any other grease?

'Proper' because it is electrically conductive, I bet!

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

So what is the difference between proper terminal grease and any other grease?

'Proper' because it is electrically conductive, I bet!

Vaseline is not, neither is Holts terminal dressing. At all points the clamp and terminal touch it gets squeezed out so you get metal to metal contact.

This regularly crops up and some time ago Gibbo said what I already knew and have just described.

9 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

No it isn't.

We used to install hundreds of battery banks for telephone exchange backup, thousands of amps at 48 volts and all the battery makers insisted on proper terminal grease on every cleaned connection before fitting with the excess wiped off after fitting. And they should know, they have to guarantee the batteries on pain of immense liability.

The grease does not interfere with the connection as long as it is clean and tight.

Smearing it all over the outside of the clamp is a garage con trick to look as though they care, but not enough to strip and clean the connection.

I agree - fine in an environment where regular checks are carried out and those fitting the batteries do not rip the post out of or crack the lid be trying to over-tighten but on a boat where batteries are beasts to get at and are very rarely checked for corrosion I feel the excess is better employed trying to keep acid out of the conductor bundle and protecting the threads.

The proper grease has an acid neutraliser to prevent the battery acid corroding the terminals, its not conductive as far as I know. The battery makers always supplied it.

I have seen Copperslip used but don't know if that is a good idea. I suspect that this is non conductive too, like aluminium paint, despite its metallic content.

20 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

The proper grease has an acid neutraliser to prevent the battery acid corroding the terminals, its not conductive as far as I know. The battery makers always supplied it.

I have seen Copperslip used but don't know if that is a good idea. I suspect that this is non conductive too, like aluminium paint, despite its metallic content.

That gives me concern and I have also seen it used. So instead of lead alloy, brass and tin plating copper gets added as well. Not at all sure what it will do but in an acidic environment I would not risk it

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is a recipe for a high resistance battery connection in my personal experience. 

Did it on my car when I was 17, following advice in a car mag. Engine wouldn't turn over afterwards, until I thoroughly cleaned off all the vaseline. 

Me too. Been called out to many cars in the past because of it.  If the lugs and terminals are perfectly clean and burnished bright, then maybe okay. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

35 minutes ago, bizzard said:

If the lugs and terminals are perfectly clean and burnished bright, then maybe okay.

Not in my case. I burnished mine all clean and bright, plastered them with Vaseline, assembled cables up to battery properly and carefully.... and ZILCH.

Took bloody AGES to clean it all off enough to get the engine to turn over again. I was well-surprised. First of many lessons about how car magazines dispense useless advice and obviously never tried what they were suggesting.

• Greenie 1

this is such an important issue - we should really set up 2 sub-groups on CWDF, to be known henceforth as Dry Spigots, and Greasers.

members' profiles could include a number of code letters to distinguish certain preferences, for example:

- cassetteers, composters and pumpers

- thrusters and non-thrusters

- preference for thick or thin (boats, that is)

- reverse or conventional positioning

- any preference for spray hoods and cratch covers  

.......................................... coat  :blush:

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well i always put Vaseline on the contact surfaces, with no issues.

Spreading an insulating material on the mating surfaces before making an electrical joint intuitively seems wrong.

I accept plenty of evidence says it is done regularly and works, but equally Bizzard's and my empirical evidence illustrates it doesn't always.

55 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

this is such an important issue - we should really set up 2 sub-groups on CWDF, to be known henceforth as Dry Spigots, and Greasers.

members' profiles could include a number of code letters to distinguish certain preferences, for example:

- cassetteers, composters and pumpers

- thrusters and non-thrusters

- preference for thick or thin (boats, that is)

- reverse or conventional positioning

- any preference for spray hoods and cratch covers  

.......................................... coat  :blush:

What about 

- eco fans ( other fans are available)

- ducks

???

eta... if you then reorder the list it could be called the 'crapdet' rating. First letters,,,,,,

Edited by Dr Bob

It's always useful to come on here and get a couple of entirely opposite views on what's best to do.  At least now my confusion is better educated.

(This is not a grumble, by the way. The more information one gets the more likely it is that the coin I toss will fall the right way up...)

12 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's always useful to come on here and get a couple of entirely opposite views on what's best to do.  At least now my confusion is better educated.

(This is not a grumble, by the way. The more information one gets the more likely it is that the coin I toss will fall the right way up...)

Only the mighty Gulper makes us boaters unite. :)

• Greenie 1