Heating oil, kerosene urgent info needed

bigcol

Featured Posts

Before I get a large delivery, where in Milton Keynes area can you buy heating oil, kerosene 

I would like to buy 50 Litres to wet the tank, get the Rayburn commissioned

he needs a small amount to get it all started and tested

please I really would appreciate any help or where to get.

the big supplier near here won’t help unles it’s 1500 ltrs

internet says petrol stations and listed a couple

and it’s a no so where does somebody by heation oil in small quantities

col

Most of the oil suppliers, certainly in this area, will supply Kero,28sec oil in 205litre drums. It is used that way in the building trade for hot air dryers in new or flood damaged  buildings. It will not be as cheap as a bulk delivery as you will have to cover the cost of the (usually) non-returnable drum. Kero fuel is about the same price as red diesel.You may be able to take your own drum to the depot to be filled. Minimum tanker delivery here is 500litres.

Clean, empty drums can be had for a fiver or less from car dealerships etc. if you can transport them yourself.

Edited by billh

54 minutes ago, bigcol said:

so where does somebody by heation oil in small quantities

Generally I don't think you can.

How about asking the commissioning bod to bring some?

(He may be able to drain some and buy it from another customer's oil tank.)

Most distributors will fill your 25 lt drums for self transport, or some even sell 25lt drums for collect only. Once commissioned, how big a tank do you have to hold your fuel? Also, you will need to have an accessible point for bulk delivery, and a suitable connector on your tank to take the tanker hose, usually 1 1/2" BSP., or an open top to allow it to dangle into the tank. Also your tank will need a suitably sized vent to allow the tanker fuel rate to deliver.

Assuming the tests prove satisfactory, won't you need more oil anyway

But why 1500L ?, it should only take a couple of litres oil just to test the burner to see if it works.

I am not an expert on 'oil' but isn't 'white' diesel much the same as heating oil - in which case you can fill a can at the local garage.

11 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

I am not an expert on 'oil' but isn't 'white' diesel much the same as heating oil - in which case you can fill a can at the local garage.

Not when one is accurately setting up the CO2 on an oil burner, it isn't!

White diesel is the same viscosity as red diesel AIUI. Heating oil and kerosene are significantly thicker. 

I'd have thought it was worthwhile setting up the Rayburn to run on red diesel anyway, given its ease of availability on the cut compared to kerosene. 

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

White diesel is the same viscosity as red diesel AIUI. Heating oil and kerosene are significantly thicker. 

Are you sure kerosene is thicker than diesel! 

• Greenie 1

Heating oil and kerosene is 28 sec oil.

Gas oil, red diesel and white diesel is 35 sec oil and heavier.

personally I would get the min delivery, you will probably use majority of it before June

Edited by Robbo

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not when I worked for an oil company, they weren't!

51 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Not when I worked for an oil company, they weren't!

And it wasn't when I did either! Oil companies are great big friendly outfits when it come to supplies (but completely different when it comes to sales....)

Which Rayburn have you got? It may be possible to run on 35 sec oil, but with small throughputs, you may need a preheater on the nozzle to assist starting. Also if the flue is low level, then 35 sec is a no-no because of the high temperatures. Presumably on a boat, the flue will be low.

37 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Which Rayburn have you got? It may be possible to run on 35 sec oil, but with small throughputs, you may need a preheater on the nozzle to assist starting. Also if the flue is low level, then 35 sec is a no-no because of the high temperatures. Presumably on a boat, the flue will be low.

The cooking ranges designed to run on diesel use preheat well this one does anyway http://nb-calbourne.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-sandyford-cottage-cooking-range.html

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

Hi there thanks for all your replies.

ive got a Rayburn XT. With a power flue. Just had a new power flue fan fitted, and of course want it commissioned by a Rayburn engineer.

hes asked me to get a small amount of kerosene. Which I’ve been told I have to use.

ive asked a supplier Hills, and Tom told me it’s parafin, which I can get in many places????

so I know company’s that will supply me the bulk amount, but it’s a new tank, and he wants to try the heating direct from a can.

So any contacts, phone numbers Milton Keynes area. Would be great pleeeese, and what is this parafin thing ?

so confusing  heating oil, kerosene, parafin im going to have to hope I get some answers and phone numbers from the forum

col

15 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Hi there thanks for all your replies.

ive got a Rayburn XT. With a power flue. Just had a new power flue fan fitted, and of course want it commissioned by a Rayburn engineer.

hes asked me to get a small amount of kerosene. Which I’ve been told I have to use.

ive asked a supplier Hills, and Tom told me it’s parafin, which I can get in many places????

so I know company’s that will supply me the bulk amount, but it’s a new tank, and he wants to try the heating direct from a can.

So any contacts, phone numbers Milton Keynes area. Would be great pleeeese, and what is this parafin thing ?

so confusing  heating oil, kerosene, parafin im going to have to hope I get some answers and phone numbers from the forum

col

It all goes back a very long way. Before anyone thought of central heating folks occasionally used the Valor type of wick fed stove and you fuelled it by wandering down to the local hardware store and bought / topped up a can of what folks called paraffin. It was in essence a slightly more refined version of what is known as Kerosene. Along came oil fired central heating and for those away from mains gas supplies used kerosene fired boilers. 'Kerosene' sounded vaguely industrial  and put people off - so the trade used the term 'heating oil' Everyone happy.

If you had a very, very large house a kerosene fired unit wasn't powerful enough, so you had to have a more industrial unit that was fired by Diesel - Gas Oil in the trade. There are very few of these now so when you ask for central heating oil you'll be offered heating oil = kerosene = paraffin M'Lord in his castle and separate boiler house may use oil fired heating but he'll probably buy it by the tanker load - and most suppliers will guess which fuel he really needs.

IME Rayburn and (smaller) Aga units use a vaporising unit  and those only use kerosene (unless somebody corrects me, so I was surprised when folks on here started talking about diesel / gas oil.

Does that clarify anything??

37 minutes ago, Robbo said:

You can get paraffin at B&Q, Homebase and most garden places in 4ltr containers.  Not the cheapest way tho.

https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-paraffin-4l/257116_BQ.prd

29 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

20 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

It all goes back a very long way. Before anyone thought of central heating folks occasionally used the Valor type of wick fed stove and you fuelled it by wandering down to the local hardware store and bought / topped up a can of what folks called paraffin. It was in essence a slightly more refined version of what is known as Kerosene. Along came oil fired central heating and for those away from mains gas supplies used kerosene fired boilers. 'Kerosene' sounded vaguely industrial  and put people off - so the trade used the term 'heating oil' Everyone happy.

If you had a very, very large house a kerosene fired unit wasn't powerful enough, so you had to have a more industrial unit that was fired by Diesel - Gas Oil in the trade. There are very few of these now so when you ask for central heating oil you'll be offered heating oil = kerosene = paraffin M'Lord in his castle and separate boiler house may use oil fired heating but he'll probably buy it by the tanker load - and most suppliers will guess which fuel he really needs.

IME Rayburn and (smaller) Aga units use a vaporising unit  and those only use kerosene (unless somebody corrects me, so I was surprised when folks on here started talking about diesel / gas oil.

Does that clarify anything??

Does my head take it all in, no, is my answer,  when the professionals seem to agree and not agree, I’m going to get 2 bottles of parafin.

and when it comes to filling the tank, I buy from the dealer, heating oil or what ever it’s called

thank you so much peeps

Have you asked your potential supplier of bulk supplies if he sells small quantities for collection. I will be amazed if he does not. 28 sec heating oil is paraffin so your little bottle should do the job. To commission the unit, the technician should run it for at least 15 minutes, so I would think you will need at least a gallon so that the temporary supply does not start to hunt. I don't know what you expect Rayburn to tell you that you have not already been told on here, once you sift out the self declared red herrings. They will tell you you need 28 sec heating oil, as specified in the Manufacturers Instructions.

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

I was looking at that model at one time.  Will be interested into how you installing the flue.

Hi there 

the coker is being placed alongside a bulkhead the flue out let carry’s into a 90, straight up then another 90 towards the outer wall, into the fan box fixed to the out wall,of the barge.

we haven’t used thenflue to run under floor etc. But to be fair so far simples.

power supply to fan through a cable.

the flue is clamped to the wall in 3 places, making a very strong sturdy flue.

by your question, I’m thinking that you may know somthing I don’t.?

col