irregular gunwales?

Markinaboat

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Isn't a lot of what is going on here "long lens" effect?  It is very foreshortened in the picture surely?

Does it really look like that to the naked eye, if not viewed through a camera lens?

That's a fair comment and one I considered myself but it was obvious enough to the naked eye for me to take some pics. I'm a fussy old .......... :ninja:

36 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

That's a fair comment and one I considered myself but it was obvious enough to the naked eye for me to take some pics. I'm a fussy old .......... :ninja:

If I can remember to take some, I'll amuse you some time with an equivalent picture taken along "Flamingo".  It has to be one of the "Towns" with the least straight hulls, though my memory is that the cabin conversion is remarkably straight, even though the outsides of the gunwales are all over the place..

21 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

If I can remember to take some, I'll amuse you some time with an equivalent picture taken along "Flamingo".  It has to be one of the "Towns" with the least straight hulls, though my memory is that the cabin conversion is remarkably straight, even though the outsides of the gunwales are all over the place..

'Town' as in Woolwich? I look forward to it!

1 hour ago, Markinaboat said:

Just to save this taking the wrong route and in appreciation of all of your input/efforts, the boat is most definitely an Allen (mid 90's).

Fair enough, if you know it for sure.  Have to say it's surprising.

10 hours ago, ianali said:

‘‘Tis shockingly bad steelwork. Not something I’d be happy to have produced or own. 

I looked on it with horror. Both Allen's steelwork was of the highest quality. There was a longstanding joke that their hulls tended to lean a bit because their sit wasn't very level. Not only is the side deck waney but it's irregular in width AND the welding is.......

I was going to buy my hull from Bob, but he never answered the phone. Went to Graham Parker instead, who did a super job

On 3/31/2018 at 10:07, Markinaboat said:

Noticed this boat recently which I believe is a Les Allen. Would any of you know if the somewhat irregular gunwales and wavy cabin sides are the norm for a Les Allen hull? I am aware that wavy cabin's can be the result of more frequent framing/welding and therefore strength but this much?

std gunwale.jpg

port gunwale.jpg

port gunwale wide.jpg

That's not "Iberia" is it?