Light my fire - should I?

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Lutine has a solid fuel stove that can heat the radiators. Trouble is it hasn't been used in my ownership of the boat (because I haven't been on board much in winter). I'm a little worried that if I light the fire and the valve operated by the thermostat is stuck, the hear exchanger in the back of the fire will get very hot indeed. 

Any suggestions how to proceed?

I have already tested with old, slightly damp newspapers to check smoke goes up the chimney and not from somewhere it shouldn't

Photo shows arrangement at the back of the fire 

20180127_083518.jpg

I am not sure what that grey plasticky looking thing is.

I would make sure the header tank is full and the rads bled. then light a small fire using kindling, gradually adding more kindling while I waited to so if the system worked.  I think that by keeping the fire low and with small kindling size pieces it would be easier to damp down if it started boiling.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

If it has wires coming out I'd suspect its a thermostatic switch to run a pump for the system.

If that's the case, make sure it has power before lighting the stove, as it might mean your system does not thermosyphon so needs the pump.

Seconded. I had a similar arrangement on one boat.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

If it has wires coming out I'd suspect its a thermostatic switch to run a pump for the system.

If that's the case, make sure it has power before lighting the stove, as it might mean your system does not thermosyphon so needs the pump.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Seconded. I had a similar arrangement on one boat.

That's what I think it is, and my fear is that in four years inactivity something about it will have stuck - but that is very difficult to test without lighting the fire!

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am not sure what that grey plasticky looking thing is.

I would make sure the header tank is full and the rads bled. then light a small fire using kindling, gradually adding more kindling while I waited to so if the system worked.  I think that by keeping the fire low and with small kindling size pieces it would be easier to damp down if it started boiling.

Thanks - that's a very helpful way forward

21 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Keep a bag of salt handy to put the fire out safely in an emergency, if need be. Don't just chuck water on it, it will explode in your face.

Hadn't thought of that? presumably in the same way that sand puts a fire out?

I extinguished the newspapers with a spray rather than direct water, but on a proerp fire I can see a spray may well not get near enough before evaporating

If it is a thermostat? mine used to be wired to a tiny 12 volt pump to circulate water when the temp reached a certain point, Could you not remove it? apply heat somehow and see if it works by use of a multimeter?

22 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If it is a thermostat? mine used to be wired to a tiny 12 volt pump to circulate water when the temp reached a certain point, Could you not remove it? apply heat somehow and see if it works by use of a multimeter?

And first, just short it out to see if the pump runs, which will at least prove the pump and the wiring.

27 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I extinguished the newspapers with a spray rather than direct water, but on a proerp fire I can see a spray may well not get near enough before evaporating

There are firefighters on here who will tell you there are just three ways of putting a fire out:

(1) cool it down

(2) remove the fuel source

(3) prevent oxygen getting to the fuel.

That's it!

The temperature knob is next to the wall. Pivot it round to gain access to it-note what its set too and then turn it down to mininum. Hair dryer or heater directly on it will soon tell you if it (and pump) is working without all the excitement of a stove hissing and banging.

Or as suggested-take the grey cover off and bridge the two terminals.

Usually if you push the temperature knob in it will override the thermostat setting and the switch will turn on.  You can check with a multi meter, but if the pump and wires are OK you should hear it start up before you get a meter on it.  I always suggest a conventional switch in parallel with the stat as that way you can check the pump is OK before lighting the fire and bypass the stat if it all gets a bit hot.

N

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

There are firefighters on here who will tell you there are just three ways of putting a fire out:

(1) cool it down

(2) remove the fuel source

(3) prevent oxygen getting to the fuel.

That's it!

There are also extinguishants which don't do any of the above and work because they interfere with the chemical oxidation process.  I think most of them got banned in Montreal though.

N