Rain deflectors or Roof gutter rails?

Chas78

Featured Posts

Hi All,

As you can see my boat is not fitted with roof gutters so when it rains the water runs directly down the windows which leak very badly there were supposed to have been sealed before i purchased her which i have receipts for i know the windows need to be re-sealed again :angry: But i was thinking of fitting rain deflectors or roof gutter rails the latter obviously being much more labour intensive but more in keeping with a Narrowboat so what do we all think Deflectors or Roof gutter rails?? any help or suggestions very much appreciated ;)

leaves 001.jpg

If the windows are sound they will not leak if you seal them properly. Its always been a problem for boaters over the years. My present boat had several that leaked so I took them out and fitted them correctly with sealing strips.Its a pain in the arress but has to be done. None of my windows leak  whatsoever now however heavy the rain is. Mine were a pain to get right but brilliant now. Have you removed any yet to reseal?

If your windows leak, cure the leak, don't try and bodge it by fitting "gutter rails".

Whilst handrails will reduce the amount of water running off the roof, it won't make a lot of difference if your windows leak.  There is no reason for windows to leak if they are fitted properly.  Unfortunately many boats' windows are fitted with silicone sealant or some other goo which might have been fine when it was fitted, but over time it will start to leak.

In my experience, the only way to fit windows to a steel narrowboat is to use proper window tape.  If the windows are in decent condition, i.e. not distorted by being over tightened or refitted badly, then window tape will do the job and they will stay watertight as well.  It is important that the steel of the boat is flat and that the windows are not distorted.  Sometimes windows are fitted with Sikaflex or similar which makes them difficult to remove. This results in them getting distorted when someone levers them off.  The frame needs to be very flat.

Do it properly, do it once!

Thanks both for the replies i know its a case of re-sealing them but there are eight windows on my boat and its a job that i could do without at the moment as i am in the middle of refitting the boat as previous the receipts say the windows were sealed so i thought its one thing off my mind but not to be obviously :angry: I also think the windows are of a crap design as they seem to be jointed at the corners all the screws are showing in the channel is there supposed to be a plastic/rubber bead that covers them?   

In the meantime use a temporary strip of waterproof tape along the top of each window to minimise the leak as best you can. All that water on your woodwork and behind your lining will be playing havoc. Be sure the tape you use is going to leave the paint intact when you remove it.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

I also think the windows are of a crap design as they seem to be jointed at the corners all the screws are showing in the channel is there supposed to be a plastic/rubber bead that covers them?   

Can't really see in your picture, but some windows just have screws holding the window in.  These could either be wood screws going into wood of the lining, or threaded screws going into a threaded hole.  The latter can cause problems if the steelwork is thin.  Other windows have the screws in a channel with a plastic trim strip over them. The best windows are clamped from the inside so no visible screws.

4 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

Sea Dog there is some roof flashing on the boat which makes me suspect he was going to use it on the windows as there is a thin strip already stuck on one :huh:

Ah, I love the smell of a bodge in the morning! ;) Perhaps it was a temporary fix, but Flashing sticks like xxxx to a blanket and will probably be a right dog to remove, so I'd be reluctant to use more if you can help it.  Your paintwork looks tidy too, so you won't want to go ruining it.  It's not the best time of year to be removing your windows or making a decent job of resealing them though, hence my suggestion. 

Whilst you're looking for outside jobs (!), keep an eye on those solar panels - the streaks running down your cabin side may be the first indications of corrosion starting underneath.

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Ah, I love the smell of a bodge in the morning! ;) Perhaps it was a temporary fix, but Flashing sticks like xxxx to a blanket and will probably be a right dog to remove, so I'd be reluctant to use more if you can help it.  Your paintwork looks tidy too, so you won't want to go ruining it.  It's not the best time of year to be removing your windows or making a decent job of resealing them though, hence my suggestion. 

Whilst you're looking for outside jobs (!), keep an eye on those solar panels - the streaks running down your cabin side may be the first indications of corrosion starting underneath.

Thanks for that i have recently removed the solar panel there is a hole where the chimney was which is where i intend to re-site the stove in its original place the rust is from where the previous owner left the rusting metal bare:huh: which i have now treated with rust stabiliser and temporarily covered from the elements;)

19 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

Thanks for that i have recently removed the solar panel there is a hole where the chimney was which is where i intend to re-site the stove in its original place the rust is from where the previous owner left the rusting metal bare:huh: which i have now treated with rust stabiliser and temporarily covered from the elements;)

Ah, you're clearly on top of it, good news. A few teathing troubles, clearly, but I hope they're soon behind you and they are not preventing you from enjoying your new boat. Good luck with her. :)

A close up picture of just a single window would give more detail.

However it looks like you have the type where the retaining screws are in a channel, and it is normal for there to be a cover strip over the top of them.

In my experience many boats with that type of window have some of the cover strip either hanging out or missing, so I have always assumed it to be largely cosmetic, and not essential to keeping the rain out.

However if your screws ar enot bedded in by something to seal them, it could be where the water is getting in.

More likely though is normally the actual join between frame and cabin side.  As "dor" says, if silicon sealant has bee used this can fail, often spectacularly.  (Often a tight gasket is formed between silicon and the window frame, but f you try and remove the window there is no corresponding seal to the cabin side).

Any attempt to deflect the water is at best a bodge - it will still get in, until you address the real problem.

11 hours ago, tree monkey said:

As a short term fix try capt. Tolley's creeping crack cure, it works.

+1

It has sorted out all but one of my window leaks (lasted six months to date). The other one I need to replace the foam rubber seal on the bit that opens. Strongly recommend and not too expensive.

11 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

Just looked up that Capt. Tolleys Crack Cure  , Would bet it is Just P.V.A.?

Yes, mainly PVA with a bit of ethanol added to reduce viscosity - so it goes into small cracks - plus a bit of biocide. Cpt Tolley seems to think it is permanant. It sealed the tops of our very aging windows. Hopefully it will last until we do a repaint in a year or twos time.

11 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

Just looked up that Capt. Tolleys Crack Cure  , Would bet it is Just P.V.A.?

I've used it successfully and guessed it was a type of latex compound, similar to some rust converters. The only limits to it's capability are larger cracks as it just runs out.

16 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

Thanks for all the replies i will fix temporarily with some duck tape or similar until the better weather then the task to remove the windows will begin don't you just love this boatings :rolleyes:  

Dont think you are far from me. If you want a quick botch I have a near full captain tolleys onboard you can have for nowt if you want and can pickit up. It may or may not get you out the crap up to you.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

Would Immodium be as Effective?

Leaking windows.  What mrsmelly and dor said.  Make sure you have clean flat surfaces before refitting.

As regards 'bunging up' you are better off buying Loperimide from the pharmacy counter,  it is the base for Imodium and much cheaper, no prescription needed.  ( I have unrepeatable tales of being dosed with the stuff in ICU).

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Dont think you are far from me. If you want a quick botch I have a near full captain tolleys onboard you can have for nowt if you want and can pickit up. It may or may not get you out the crap up to you.

Hi Tim,

That would be great thank you;) i am moored in Fazeley where abouts are you?