Growlights aboard?

Jenwil

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

We freeze chillis at home. Always have a freezer bag full of them. Every bit as good as fresh for cooking but a bit soggy if you really want to eat them raw. 

They might be an altogether different variety though. Maybe your freezer technique wouldn't work for everyone, such as those who need the kind of 'chili' that is easy to roll up and set light to? ;)

Just now, Sea Dog said:

They might be an altogether different variety though. Maybe your freezer technique wouldn't work for everyone, such as those who need the kind of 'chili' that is easy to roll up and set light to? ;)

Yes, that argument kind of fails at the point where you want to use your 'chili' which has to be dried for use making it easy to store

Richard

19 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Personally I cannot understand people's facination with chillies. In my experience all they do is destroy the flavour of everything else they are served up with.

I can onlty assume that some poeople relish the idea of going to bed with a mouth that feels like it has had a bonfire in it all evening.

The heat from chillies causes the brain to release endorphins to counteract the pain of the burn. It's a bit like self mutilation, the more pain the more pleasure, it becomes highly addictive. I have to order extra spicy vindaloo in order to be able to taste the chilli heat theses days, more often than not I am still disappointed :(

1 hour ago, Bewildered said:

The heat from chillies causes the brain to release endorphins to counteract the pain of the burn. It's a bit like self mutilation, the more pain the more pleasure, it becomes highly addictive. I have to order extra spicy vindaloo in order to be able to taste the chilli heat theses days, more often than not I am still disappointed :(

So if chillies no longer release those endorphins for you then time to consider your other suggestion and get the whip out for a bit of self flagellation.............

4 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

As her current set up is 200W flourescent, then an LED equivalent is probably (guessing) 50W or so.  You can get these for a lot less than £500

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60W-LED-Plant-Grow-Light-Indoor-Vegetable-Flower-Full-Spectrum-Lamp-RED-4colors/352195858645?hash=item52008250d5:g:45IAAOSw1NFaK6Of

I doubt that you could even grow cress successfully with these, the spectrum being less important than total quantity of light delivered, with rare exceptions  (I.e, low pressure sodium light).

Edited by BWM
Double image!

22 minutes ago, BWM said:

I doubt that you could even grow cress successfully with these, the spectrum being less important than total quantity of light delivered, with rare exceptions  (I.e, low pressure sodium light).

I am successfully growing 1 plant on a 20w full spectrum LED light, it has no other light source. so I wouldn't think cress would be a problem.

2 hours ago, rasputin said:

I am successfully growing 1 plant on a 20w full spectrum LED light, it has no other light source. so I wouldn't think cress would be a problem.

Is it safe to assume that it is a single source, rather than the multi coloured one in the eBay listing? 

There is also quite a difference between growing a plant under artificial light, and generating a viable harvest of whatever the fruit of choice may be. 

16 minutes ago, BWM said:

Is it safe to assume that it is a single source, rather than the multi coloured one in the eBay listing? 

There is also quite a difference between growing a plant under artificial light, and generating a viable harvest of whatever the fruit of choice may be. 

I think you will find that grow lights have to output a range of colours or they don't work, but they don't need to have much green light, as green light is reflected by plants rather than absorbed, so supplying green light is wasted energy.  Plants also don't need much blue light, mainly red, so I think you will find a lot of LED grow lights - because you can tune the colour of the output for efficiency - tend to be a bit purple in colour.

43 minutes ago, BWM said:

It is this one, 20W par light

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3W-1200W-LED-Grow-Light-Lamp-Full-Spectrum-Blue-Red-For-Indoor-Veg-Flower-Plants/351725553711?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Will let you now how fruiting goes, but it looks v healthy so far

Edited by rasputin

7 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I think you will find that grow lights have to output a range of colours or they don't work, but they don't need to have much green light, as green light is reflected by plants rather than absorbed, so supplying green light is wasted energy.  Plants also don't need much blue light, mainly red, so I think you will find a lot of LED grow lights - because you can tune the colour of the output for efficiency - tend to be a bit purple in colour.

The light source needs to be within a certain spectrum but outside of quite a wide range, quantity is more important. Prior to the availability of LED, high intensity discharge were the norm in horticulture and spectrum wise, metal halide had a better colour range but a high pressure sodium was more efficient-watt for lumen. In general, colour adjustment filters output.

the led lamps I used on my aquarium (that made the plant life go ballistic) were a mix of tropical pro and marine white (1 of each)

I suspect that they would work fairly well as grow lights (especially the tropical pro)

spectrums for both below

colour-charts-tropical-projpg.jpg (283×295)colour-charts-marine-white.jpg

33 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

the led lamps I used on my aquarium (that made the plant life go ballistic) were a mix of tropical pro and marine white (1 of each)

I suspect that they would work fairly well as grow lights (especially the tropical pro)

spectrums for both below

colour-charts-tropical-projpg.jpg (283×295)colour-charts-marine-white.jpg

Aquatic plants are adapted to lower, diffused light and are not comparable to a high energy, fruiting plant.

The colour adjusted fluorescent aquarium lights of the past were never used in serious horticulture, but more common office type bulbs would produce reasonable results. 

9 hours ago, WotEver said:

There’s a very interesting article about LED lighting for plant growth here. It stresses how much less ventilation is required with cool LEDs vs hot metal halide.

http://www.kessil.com/horticulture/publications_201009.php

A lot of useful information in the article, I didn't realise that the spectrum could be altered at source, rather than applying a filter. 

I've grown orchids, fuchias, tomatoes and various other plants under HID lighting, and also maintained turf on long term film sets in studios, but the choice of LED wasn't available at that time.

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Could someone who knows going on here say whether this might also be a good thread for asking for information on growing poppies, or would that be off topic? :detective:

I’m no expert but I thought that poppies were one of the easiest things in the world to grow, no?

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

I’m no expert but I thought that poppies were one of the easiest things in the world to grow, no?

I was wondering about them being grown on a narrowboat in winter, rather than in Afghanistan. Well, actually, I was wondering whether this thread is really about growing chillies or if we were really discussing more general, perhaps more recreational, plant growing. 

22 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I was wondering about them being grown on a narrowboat in winter, rather than in Afghanistan. Well, actually, I was wondering whether this thread is really about growing chillies or if we were really discussing more general, perhaps more recreational, plant growing. 

That, young marine hound, is the $64,000 question

Opinions differ on the subject

Richard