Facebook, yobs canal boats and a lock

bigcol

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, artleknock said:

I've read through this thread, the gung ho 'whack em where it hurts' and the bleeding heart liberals that think the kids are not understood and have a hard life at home.

You missed out the majority (often silent) who acknowledge the societal causes of such behaviour but still believe an individual should be held responsible for their actions.

4 minutes ago, artleknock said:

I've read through this thread, the gung ho 'whack em where it hurts' and the bleeding heart liberals that think the kids are not understood and have a hard life at home.

To put the whole thing in perspective-

I showed my wife the video on Utube, she said "Thats horrible, I would be terrified if that happened to us, perhaps we should cancel our holiday and stay at home"

Maybe you could offer an opinion instead of pointless name calling? 

Technohead, modern crap.

2 minutes ago, artleknock said:

They obviously knew they were doing wrong, why else would they cover their faces?

Because they are soft lads. Big men in a group but silly little boys on their own, I have met many in my lifetime. Much the same as the big hard rioting types over the years with scarfs over their faces.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Absolutely correct. Having ideals is great as long as others don't do the real work for you.

Are you suggesting that an army medic who is willing to walk into Belsen without a gun is not doing real work? 

Tim, I know you like to act as a bit of a protagonist, but that's pretty insulting to a different kind of hero. 

Maybe sometimes a more grown up response is required?

11 minutes ago, Wanted said:

Maybe you could offer an opinion instead of pointless name calling? 

A damn good flogging, or a day or two in the stocks, followed by a good dose of public shaming.

11 minutes ago, Wanted said:

Are you suggesting that an army medic who is willing to walk into Belsen without a gun is not doing real work? 

Tim, I know you like to act as a bit of a protagonist, but that's pretty insulting to a different kind of hero. 

I don't think that is what he is suggesting at all. The point being made was he would not have got anyway near Belsen without others prepared to do the fighting.

7 minutes ago, Phil. said:

A damn good flogging, or a day or two in the stocks, followed by a good dose of public shaming.

I don't think that is what he is suggesting at all. The point being made was he would not have got anyway near Belsen without others prepared to do the fighting.

Then I'm sure you will both agree a better choice of words may have been more wise? 

17 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

Personally i think it comes down to what is perceived as "acceptable behaviour"  which is a learned behaviour throughout childhood both from parents and the childs peers.

I had a hard upbringing came from a broken home , but i was bought up to respect those around me especially my elders, its these values that are missing for a few in todays society ... i say a few as i have the pleasure of having contact with some very driven and respectful kids.

Despite my background i served 27 years in the paras then spent 3 years living in Kuwait as a training officer for the Army. ... whilst in Kuwait i never locked my door, i used to go out and start my £40k 4x4 every morning then go back to my apartment to have my breakfast while the a/c kicked in ... i had a boat moored in kuwait city for weekending i left the keys in, a motorbike again i never took the keys out and no one would touch anything ....

When i came back to the uk i bought a  full length narrowboat and in the first six months it was broken into twice the second time it was totally trashed and even the bed had been defocated on ... just to add salt into the would my car was also stolen from the marina car park all in the space of a few days i had been away working.... i sold the boat at a considerable loss as i just didnt want to look at it again..... What would i have done had i caught the perputrators?  exactly what i would do now ... no excuse would wash, they would be swimming with the fishes and no i am not a daily mail reader , just someone who has worked F@kkin hard for what i have got and now just want to be left to enjoy it, so should someone choose to interfere with that thinking i am just some old git to be intimidated then thats their lookout.

Rick

Is Kuwait the Place where a Thief's Right Hand is Amputated as Punishment?

42 minutes ago, Wanted said:

Not what I was saying at all and you know it. The FACTS are that in the real world pacifism is a joke as in the real world men has since time immemorial and will forever wage war wether pacifists like it or not. The reason that guy could walk in without a gun is that the vast majority of every body else were carrying one.

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Is Kuwait the Place where a Thief's Right Hand is Amputated as Punishment?

They at one time as in saudi had friday public punishments where if you were to thieve you lost a hand if you committed adultery you were either stoned or publicly flogged for murder you would be beheaded... and to be fair although those things are very seldom done if you saw the prisons , they make turkish jails look tame! 

To give you an idea of what its like i was out in the souk bartering over a new video camera and tv and had put my wallet down on the little table outside the shop whilst haggling the price ... i went off to the fish market on the other side of town to get some shrimp and realised i had left it behind ... i returned an hour later and not even the shop keeper would touch it to put it behind the counter, it was still sat on a table in the street with somewhere around 2 grand sat in it, so coming back here after 3 years was an education to say the least! 

Rick

• Happy 1

36 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Not what I was saying at all and you know it. The FACTS are that in the real world pacifism is a joke as in the real world men has since time immemorial and will forever wage war wether pacifists like it or not. The reason that guy could walk in without a gun is that the vast majority of every body else were carrying one.

I don't know it, you wrote 

'absolutely correct. Having ideals is great as long as others don't do the real work for you.' 

Which is why I took it as what you said. 

I accept your explaination but I still think you might have chosen your words better. 

Oh, and writing 'FACTS' in capitals doesn't make it fact, that's pure Trump-talk! SAD...

Edited by Wanted

11 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

They at one time as in saudi had friday public punishments where if you were to thieve you lost a hand if you committed adultery you were either stoned or publicly flogged for murder you would be beheaded... and to be fair although those things are very seldom done if you saw the prisons , they make turkish jails look tame! 

To give you an idea of what its like i was out in the souk bartering over a new video camera and tv and had put my wallet down on the little table outside the shop whilst haggling the price ... i went off to the fish market on the other side of town to get some shrimp and realised i had left it behind ... i returned an hour later and not even the shop keeper would touch it to put it behind the counter, it was still sat on a table in the street with somewhere around 2 grand sat in it, so coming back here after 3 years was an education to say the least! 

Rick

I do hope they offered the Perpetrators Counselling prior to Decapitation?:D

1 hour ago, artleknock said:

In my day (showing my age now ) if I put a foot wrong I got a clip round the ear'ole or a boot up the jacksey from th local Bobby. I always carried a sheath knife and a catapult, but never would dream of doing anyone any harm with them, the worse I ever did was steal the odd potato from the alotments to roast on a fire down the fields.

What is wrong with society today is that there is no space for the kids to have the freedom we were brought up with, and they dont suffer for any wrong doing. I get realy annoyed when I see parents say to a child "Please don't do that darling" when the little brat is creating mayhem in the local supermarket. When I was a kid we get a clip round the lugs, and behaved ourselves.

The young need discipline and love, not a plee to behave while Mummy pays attention to her smart phone.

God, the amount of times our local Bobby dragged me home by the ear.

the worst we ever really did was play on the building sites or do doubies on the bikes.

we were on first name terms with all the local coppers and still meet up with some for a beer.

does anyone still get grounded in their room for a week.

I take my kids camping so that they can jump on their bikes and go climbing and exploring, coming back when they are hungry. much like I spent most of my child good. I would never let them do this at home.

They( other kids) say it's because they are bored but surely there is so much more for them to do than I had 30 years ago.

We cycled, played in the woods. went camping and played footie.

We never had the need to go around in gangs trying to intimidate others because we were bored.

Edited by thebfg
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, thebfg said:

I take my kids camping so that they can jump on their bikes and go climbing and exploring, coming back when they are hungry. much like I spent most of my child good. I would never let them do this at home.

Out of interest why do you consider it better/safer/preferable to take them to an unfamiliar place rather than let them do it at home?

34 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Out of interest why do you consider it better/safer/preferable to take them to an unfamiliar place rather than let them do it at home?

we camp in the new forest. they don't need to leave the campsite to go cycling, climbing, exploring and making friends. 

we currently live on an inner city housing estate. they are 10 and 6. not an age i want them running around here. it's not a bad city but it's still a typical estate whet exist of the neighbours kids are not the kind of role models I would like for them.

Just now, thebfg said:

we camp in the new forest. they don't need to leave the campsite to go cycling, climbing, exploring and making friends. 

we currently live on an inner city housing estate. they are 10 and 6. not an age i want them running around here. it's not a bad city but it's still a typical estate whet exist of the neighbours kids are not the kind of role models I would like for them.

Thank you.   Having lived most of my life in rural areas I was wondering.

7 hours ago, dccruiser said:

Rick

thanks for posting, folks know it's a deterant, if the punishment is fast and swift, then thieves think twice.

over in the western world, there's nothing. That's why we have yobs growing up thinking it's acceptable to cover their identitys, intimidating, and violating peoples property.

I'm not posting or wanting to keep mentioning the video, I'm saying that this mentality is all around us nowadays.

for those who commented that they've seen the video, and they can't make out what all the fuss is about, then shame on you.

if this scenario happened to you, your partner your parents or you children, you wouldn't feel so ( forgot the word)

anyway there are GOOD things also happening around us all the time,

how many of us members have stormed down to the school, because their child has been upset by the teacher.

if I had a teacher that was upset with me,visa versa, I certainly would NOT tell my parents!!!!!

8 hours ago, artleknock said:

In my day (showing my age now ) if I put a foot wrong I got a clip round the ear'ole or a boot up the jacksey from th local Bobby. I always carried a sheath knife and a catapult, but never would dream of doing anyone any harm with them, the worse I ever did was steal the odd potato from the alotments to roast on a fire down the fields.

What is wrong with society today is that there is no space for the kids to have the freedom we were brought up with, and they dont suffer for any wrong doing. I get realy annoyed when I see parents say to a child "Please don't do that darling" when the little brat is creating mayhem in the local supermarket. When I was a kid we get a clip round the lugs, and behaved ourselves.

The young need discipline and love, not a plee to behave while Mummy pays attention to her smart phone.

Well said!!

Later on in life, this is what makes inconsiderate people/boaters/MPs who they are?

they really don't understand right from wrong, even people in Goverment.

8 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

I do hope they offered the Perpetrators Counselling prior to Decapitation?:D

Thankyou for making us laugh

So, just so I understand this..

In order to stop name calling we should call people names? 

In order to stop the threat of violence we should threaten violence. 

We should vote for a party that systematically remove activities for kids and then set up a system that provides activities for kids. 

can you see a pattern? We need to break a cycle and that starts with the grown ups. 

In just posting a different opinion I have been called a bleeding heart liberal and have have been told I should be ashamed. Isn't that the same behaviour as you are so upset by? 

My take on it is a bunch of bored kids who have over stepped the mark and a bunch of angry older people who are by default prejudice towards teenagers and have forgotten their own path towards such upstanding pillars of our communities. 

• Greenie 1