London Liveraboard

Drayke

Featured Posts

Seen on an advert on ApolloDuck, Your thoughts on this sort of advertising.

Stunning new 60x12 London Liveaboard.

Being a Continuous Cruiser in London is a fantastic lifestyle. The license stipulates you need to move 20-30 miles a year, moving every 2 weeks and costs around £1000. It's a great way to get to know the most beautiful parts of our fine city and literally every spot is great in its own way. There are enough canals in London to ensure you're always near a tube or overground station wherever you stop and satisfy CRT at the same time. 

Hee, hee, hee norty...... but then again everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

C&RT have never defined that rule, so what's the argument?

It always comes down to Caveat Emptor because those that want to buy will see what they want to in the blurb of those who want to sell.

Big problem developing in the building market with Leasehold properties sneaking in when people have become used to freehold .The pitfalls being 99 year leases and ground rents can be increased throughout the term .So it is a good but misleading statement for boat sales.

London getting full are people going to breast up with widebeams ?

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

I think this claim would leave them open to challenge - "1000w solar with MTTP controllers - never have to run the engine for power" and this "1000w of solar power provides all the electricity you'll need. "  even in December?????

I live on my boat all year round  , i have 400 w of solar & a 40 A Tracer controller . Fitted in April 2014 . 

Since fitting i have never once ran my engine solely for the purpose of charging batts or making hot water . Im moored up most of the time and have no shore line 240 V . Hot water is from an eberspatcher . Fridge turned off from October to March .

However - im cautious about my power needs and im also a very low key , low tech chap . At this time of year i run  all the 240V stuff i want via an inverter to operate a twin tub & a small dyson vac . I havent looked at a TV on the boat since the end of the last world cup in summer 2014 . 

In winter im cautious about my 240 V usage and always check my smartgauge as to check my batts ( 4 years old ) . So basically i use as i please in summer and im careful thru winter . 

In winter i ll go for short cruises over several days which does of course charge batts and provide hot water but i dont run the engine at my mooring for that purpose . Last winter due to studying i was able to go cruising much less than normal but i got by no problem at all . 

Having said this its worth noting that im on the boat by myself . No big power concerns , no big widescreen TV , in winter no fridge . All very basic - because i like living this  simplistic way . This boat appears to be aimed at the " london dreamer " of which there many . No doubt the boat description will involve the words " stunning " & " bespoke " & its interior will be painted in " london narrowboat white " & have one of those silly bathroom sinks with a " waterfall " tap and Ikea or cooke & lewis kitchen cabinets etc etc . Im GUESSING that the seller is expecting a london dreamer to buy it based on the likelihood ( i haven t looked on the actual ad yet ) that its more like a flat ( i mean luxury apartment - no one build flats in London anymore ...) than a boat . 

Therefore i suspect that such a buyer MAY not be aware that living afloat will mean having to make considerations about power usage before just using such power thoughtlessly like in a house . 

So , you can ( i can rather ...) get by on 1000 w of solar , but i would suggest the " market " the seller is aiming at may find this less straightforward . 

Im going to find the ad now ......

cheers

Edited by chubby
  • Greenie 1

It can be done . I manage to do it only because im very very basic . But thats because tho my boat is my home , i just don t need all the technological " fluff " that many others do . 

I watch no TV - tho i do watch occasional DVDs , i have no computer except for an iphone , no big washing machine , tumble dryer , no Xbox . Infact i have virtually sod all . But thats how i like it - simple , less is more etc & im on my todd .

Other folk will want and need more " stuff " and thats of course entirely fine and will mean that thier electrical needs are greater and so recharging used 12 V batts or using a genny is necessary , but for me and my attitude to " stuff" its not necessary . 

I would say that my usage is probably in the minority .

1 hour ago, chubby said:

It can be done . I manage to do it only because im very very basic . But thats because tho my boat is my home , i just don t need all the technological " fluff " that many others do . 

I watch no TV - tho i do watch occasional DVDs , i have no computer except for an iphone , no big washing machine , tumble dryer , no Xbox . Infact i have virtually sod all . But thats how i like it - simple , less is more etc & im on my todd .

Other folk will want and need more " stuff " and thats of course entirely fine and will mean that thier electrical needs are greater and so recharging used 12 V batts or using a genny is necessary , but for me and my attitude to " stuff" its not necessary . 

I would say that my usage is probably in the minority .

I would say that cavemen died out very many years ago? :D you are so right though that too many boaters still think a boat is a floating house and have all manner of electrical crap that simply makes noooo sense off grid.

15 hours ago, F DRAYKE said:

Seen on an advert on ApolloDuck, Your thoughts on this sort of advertising.

Stunning new 60x12 London Liveaboard.

Being a Continuous Cruiser in London is a fantastic lifestyle. The license stipulates you need to move 20-30 miles a year, moving every 2 weeks and costs around £1000. It's a great way to get to know the most beautiful parts of our fine city and literally every spot is great in its own way. There are enough canals in London to ensure you're always near a tube or overground station wherever you stop and satisfy CRT at the same time. 

I haven't seen the actual advert, but i don't see a lot wrong with the bit you've included in your post. 

Which bit are you not happy with?

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Where does the licence stipulate you need to move 20-30 miles per year?

Its known as a " nearly " continuous moorers licence......recently introduced by CART.

15 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So can you point to somewhere where they have said this publicly, and any prospective CCer can see it?

No, because i have no interest in that sort of thing. But i can 100% tell you that I've seen people talking about it on here so feel free to do a search if you're that interested.

My intention was to try and find out what the OP actually has an issue with, because i couldn't see anything in his/her post that looked like anyone could take issue with it?

Edited by junior

35 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So can you point to somewhere where they have said this publicly, and any prospective CCer can see it?

On the C&RT website  - to save you looking here is a cut-&-paste

The BW Act 1995 does not state a minimum distance but it does set out the requirement to use the boat bona fide for navigation throughout the licence period, and the Trust’s Guidance is our interpretation of this requirement.  We do agree that the law isn’t precise but we have to interpret it so we can manage the waterways safely and fairly.  Whilst we cannot set a universal minimum distance for compliance, we can advise that it is very unlikely that someone would be able to satisfy us that they have been genuinely cruising if their range of movement is less than 20 miles over the period of their licence.  In most cases we would expect it to be greater than this.  Our Guidance is based on our understanding of the law, and also reflects the views of Judges who have independently considered all the legal arguments in making their Judgments in the past.

....... If you’re cruising in a smaller range than this you may run into trouble when it comes to renewing your licence.   

Whilst certainly not saying '20 miles is enough', it is often taken by the 'non-CCing, CCers' to mean that move 20 mile and you won't end up under enforcement. - It does appear to suggest this 20 mile range (note RANGE) is sufficient.

It also goes on to say:

As well as establishing an acceptable range we’re also looking for boats to be generally on the move within that overall range: for example if a boat stayed in a five mile area for most of their licence and then went on one 60-mile trip over the course of two weeks, they’d be unlikely to meet our requirements for bona fide navigation.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I like the bit that says "Large water tank (lasts 8 weeks)"

And

"2x 13kg gas canisters (each lasts 4 months) "

17 minutes ago, Vicky said:

The Rayburn which runs the heating? I don't think it's actually fitted, just sitting there. There is no chimney and you can see the unconnected water pipes sticking out the side.

The rayburn certainly doesn't look like its connected. Think the squirrel is though. 

Edited by rusty69