CART RECORD HOLDER?

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Hi Peeps

Am I a record holder? Yesterday I left my mooring for the first time this year and went under one bridge and moored up 400 yards from my mooring in a proper no problem location. This was about 3pm and I said hi to the CART boat logger as he went by.

This morning 19 hours after mooring up I receive an email from CART stating I had overstayed ...14 days........bl;ah blah. So I ring given number and of course answerfone so I left message and emailed them at 1041 with the facts. I received a poilte apology by email exactly ten minutes later at 1051 so I am making a claim for speed of receiving said notice and reply can anyone beat this? No cheating mind. :D

• Greenie 1

Maybe the last time the boat checker went past you were moored in that zone (maybe last year) so the system has two sightings 4 months apart.  Quite an overstay.  But when I say system, it probably isn't really a system, just the best they can do with out spending some money.  Not good enough to start accusing people of rule infringement though.

It is possible that the antiquated system was capable of ignoring you mooring location whilst ina  marina (but still recorded it) but when you moved it looked at the last known physical location and calculated that you had not 'moved 'enough'. Chewbacka's comment is, however, the over-riding factor and the ease with which you obtained a correction suggests that the staff are well aware of the shortcomings. Whilst it is annoying to receive a false report (does it really amount to an allegation?) it is only really important once the enforcement process decides to take legal action, including trying to refuse a licence. I suspect that at that point the evidence is carefully reviewed by at least one, probably more, human whilst it is only economic to use the sort-of automatic system to highlight potential overstayers.

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

It is possible that the antiquated system was capable of ignoring you mooring location whilst ina  marina (but still recorded it) but when you moved it looked at the last known physical location and calculated that you had not 'moved 'enough'. Chewbacka's comment is, however, the over-riding factor and the ease with which you obtained a correction suggests that the staff are well aware of the shortcomings. Whilst it is annoying to receive a false report (does it really amount to an allegation?) it is only really important once the enforcement process decides to take legal action, including trying to refuse a licence. I suspect that at that point the evidence is carefully reviewed by at least one, probably more, human whilst it is only economic to use the sort-of automatic system to highlight potential overstayers.

I think this is the problem as my bone fide mooring is towpath side but privately rented by Oxfordshire narrowboats so in effect I am in the same location albeit NOT the same location :wacko: It is a bit worrying but their SPOKESPERSON said it will be immediately removed from " my record " I am very much in favour of the long abused legislation at last being enforced but it must be done correctly and with a system " Fit for pupose " which is obviously not the case.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I once came home and was suprised to find a patrol notice pinned to the side step.

Opened it up and it said "Hi, this isn't a patrol notice, just saying hi but you weren't in" from a BW enforcement forum member.

Thats cos u r famous :D

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I once came home and was suprised to find a patrol notice pinned to the side step.

Opened it up and it said "Hi, this isn't a patrol notice, just saying hi but you weren't in" from a BW enforcement forum member.

So which forum member is involved in enforcement? 

I see an opportunity here....

Pitchforks! Flaming torches! Stakes! Get them now, before demand increases!

47 minutes ago, FadeToScarlet said:

So which forum member is involved in enforcement? 

I see an opportunity here....

Pitchforks! Flaming torches! Stakes! Get them now, before demand increases!

I did say BW...

There were quite a few BW persons on the forum in the old days before they had to sign the official secrets act of CRT. 

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, nicknorman said:

It does highlight just how incompetent the boat logging system is.

Oh I dunno. I got a similar email the day after my Winter Mooring Permit expired.

My polite enquiry as to why revealed that one doesn't get 14 days tacked on the end of a WM, one is required to get on with one's journey immediately. All explained equally politely.

6 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Maybe the last time the boat checker went past you were moored in that zone (maybe last year) so the system has two sightings 4 months apart.  Quite an overstay.  But when I say system, it probably isn't really a system, just the best they can do with out spending some money.  Not good enough to start accusing people of rule infringement though.

7 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

This morning 19 hours after mooring up I receive an email from CART stating I had overstayed ...14 days........bl;ah blah.

Could you do us a favour and post up the actual text of the email please? Because I don't think the current email they send out states you have overstayed.  I think it says something along the lines of "Our records suggest you may have overstayed, please update us with more information if this is incorrect."

Mind you as a Home Moorer, the computer might send you a different, older, shirtier email.

Many thanks.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

41 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Could you do us a favour and post up the actual text of the email please? Because I don't think the current email they send out states you have overstayed.  I think it says something along the lines of "Our records suggest you may have overstayed, please update us with more information if this is incorrect."

Mind you as a Home Moorer, the computer might send you a different, older, shirtier email.

Many thanks.

Hi Mike

I dont have a clue how to load it on here so I will type it verbatum

Reminder: Moored up for more than 14 days? please continue your journey.

Dear Tim 

To make sure everyone has a fair chance of mooring on our canals and rivers its important that boaters respect the movement requirements and cruise to a new place at least once a fortnight.Weve been looking at our sighting records and they suggest that your boat blah blah has been moored in the same general area for more than 14 days.

If this is not the case or you have any questions please give me a call on 01908 681277 so you can have a chat to us about your circumstances. remember to quote your boat index number and to tell us where your currently moored.

If you have been moored up for longer than 14 days please continue your journey to avoid overstaying.

You can find out more about mooring rules on our website blah blah

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi Mike

Dear Tim 

To make sure everyone has a fair chance of mooring on our canals and rivers its important that boaters respect the movement requirements and cruise to a new place at least once a fortnight.Weve been looking at our sighting records and they suggest that your boat blah blah has been moored in the same general area for more than 14 days.

If this is not the case or you have any questions please give me a call on 01908 681277 so you can have a chat to us about your circumstances. remember to quote your boat index number and to tell us where your currently moored.

If you have been moored up for longer than 14 days please continue your journey to avoid overstaying.

That seems to be a reasonable polite enquiery to me.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi Mike

Dear Tim 

That's more or less the email is got, I guessed where I had been spotted "in the same general area" but asked them to confirm it was Lower Heyford.  I had moved about half a mile through the lift bridge. In just over two weeks. One of those all too familiar Lutine engine problem incidents...

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

That seems to be a reasonable polite enquiery to me.

It is polite as was my reply but thats not the problem here. The problem is I get contacted advising me that their sightings tell them I have probably overstayed when I had been off my mooring for less than 24 hours and been at this spot less than 24 hours not over 14 days. This is a cock up and shows to me who is very pro CART that their monitoring system is not fit for purpose and could result in mistakes being made. This is in everybodys interest to get sorted out.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

That's more or less the email is got, I guessed where I had been spotted "in the same general area" but asked them to confirm it was Lower Heyford.  I had moved about half a mile through the lift bridge. In just over two weeks. One of those all too familiar Lutine engine problem incidents...

Hi Patrick

Then I suppose you will not have had a problem with it as you had actualy just about overstayed albeit with good reason. Problem is their system appears to be flawed to say the least hitting me with an email in less than 24 hours off my pukka mooring and on a 14 day spot. Good ere innitt.

Edited to add Also in Lower Heyford.

Edited by mrsmelly

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi Mike

Copy and paste!! Click and drag over the text in the email to highlight it, right click on it and select "copy to clipboard", then past it into a post on here.

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi Mike

Dear Tim 

And thanks for taking the trouble to type that lot in again!

No accusations of overstaying then, just a polite enquiry as I thought.

32 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi Mike

Dear Tim 

If you have been moored up for longer than 14 days please continue your journey to avoid action for overstaying.

Our email was a little more threatening because it included the words "action for".   Perhaps they decided to tone it down a bit

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi Patrick

Then I suppose you will not have had a problem with it as you had actualy just about overstayed albeit with good reason. Problem is their system appears to be flawed to say the least hitting me with an email in less than 24 hours off my pukka mooring and on a 14 day spot. Good ere innitt.

Edited to add Also in Lower Heyford.

Indeed, it was a fair cop although to make up more than 14 days required CRT to combine my time at two moorings separated by half a mile and a lift bridge. Oxfordshire Narrowboats did say they'd had their hire boats clocked which also seems a tad over zealous