On this day.

bizzard

Featured Posts

Now that's interesting. Didn't know that.

Did they eat him?

Apparently, no. They were not cannibals on Hawaii, but they believed that the power of man was in his bones, so they Cooked him to release his bones more easily.

If I had been Cpt Cook I wouldn't have gone within a thousand miles of the South sea islands with a name like that, at that time.

Edited by bizzard

Apparently, no. They were not cannibals on Hawaii, but they believed that the power of man was in his bones, so they Cooked him to release his bones more easily.

If I had been Cpt Cook I wouldn't have gone within a thousand miles of the South sea islands with a name like that, at that time.

Just wondering,did he have his name Embroidered on his uniform ?

CT

Not 'This Day', but 'This Year' is the 70th anniversary of Kennet entering service. Kennet is currently at Ellesmere Port, and will be open during the Working Boat event at Easter, - for those who want to see inside a proper boat. I will be giving a talk one day in the Waterways Archive, where there will hopefully be a display of Canal Transport Limited material, some relating to Kennet.

Long before the murder of Mrs Collins at Rugeley, the Norfolk Chronicle on this day 15th February 1817 reported:

"A most daring act of atrocity has been lately committed in the neighborhood of Rickmansworth. As two girls were walking along the banks of the Grand Junction Canal, two young men belonging to a Derby boat pursued them, and overtaking one, she was brutally forced into the boat, and there violated in spite of her screams and entreaties for mercy, by two miscreants and another who happened to be on board. They have been taken to Hertford goal for the capital offence. They were of the age of 25, 19 and 16."

Recently the RCHS Waterways History Group has renewed the discussion on the Rugeley Murder, but this offence was over 20 years earlier!.

The remarkable case reported by the Norfolk Chronicle- actually recorded a series of events that took place on January 24th. The girl dragged onto the boat was Sarah Summers and the three boatmen ; Richard Staines, William Tookey and Joseph Tookey. At Stockers Lock the girl was released from the boat. Her mother, the next day had involved the constable of Rickmansworth and after establishing the identity of the culprits from the lock keeper had caught the coach to Derby to pursue the boatmen. He caught up with Staines and his companions after the boat had loaded at Derby and brought them back to St Albans goal. From there they went to Rickmansworth magistrates and then onto the assizes. At the subsequent trial, Sarah varied her evidence and the Grand Jury decided that the case was "not a true bill". It seems that banns of marriage had been put up between the supposed ravisher and the prosecutrix and it was left to the Church and not the Law to decide the controversy!