Aquavac request

silverlode

Featured Posts

You may find it was Boilerman that brought it up, saying it was a BSS fail to have a bilge pump in the engine bay but did not mention the sealed engine oil trap, but you and I know it's not if all the correct anti-pollution procedures and filters are in place. The OP just wants to remove her water and is not interested in bilge pump placement, contamination or PPM filters.

The OP has had her question answered by the time it was brought up who ever that was, the point is that if something has been mentioned that is incorrect it should be corrected there and then even if no longer relevant to the original post or poster as many boaters read this forum and the threads do turn up in Google and it may be relevant to them. (Like if I read it, I would now be aware I would need a filter for my other boat if it didn't have one).

The OP has had her question answered by the time it was brought up who ever that was, the point is that if something has been mentioned that is incorrect it should be corrected there and then even if no longer relevant to the original post or poster as many boaters read this forum and the threads do turn up in Google and it may be relevant to them. (Like if I read it, I would now be aware I would need a filter for my other boat if it didn't have one).

Totally agree, that's why I couldn't work out why the BSS fail was mentioned when everyone knew what she was on about.

Hi Silverlode - The reason that your bilge pump doesn't pump the space under the stern gland dry is for two reasons.

1) If the pump leaves about an inch of water behind the oil and grease just floats on the surface and is not pumped out into the canal. Pollution control.

2) It is easier (lower cost) to design a pump that leaves a bit behind.

I leave the small 'chamber' under the stern gland wet, and pump it out from time to time. Some people are a bit fussy and want everywhere dry, but if properly painted there is no rust and I don't see it as a problem

Hi Silverlode - The reason that your bilge pump doesn't pump the space under the stern gland dry is for two reasons.

1) If the pump leaves about an inch of water behind the oil and grease just floats on the surface and is not pumped out into the canal. Pollution control.

2) It is easier (lower cost) to design a pump that leaves a bit behind.

I leave the small 'chamber' under the stern gland wet, and pump it out from time to time. Some people are a bit fussy and want everywhere dry, but if properly painted there is no rust and I don't see it as a problem

I assumed that was the case, thinking about it logically :)

Well in all honesty it needs a repaint, so whilst the water's not really a problem, it's sort of in the way!! Good to know it's no big deal though, thanks ?

The water in the bilge however, sploshes loudly occasionally and puts my nerves on edge, so I'll prioritise that.

Edited by silverlode

I lost any idea of contributing in a worthwhile way to this thread when i read " cannot afford a mop & bucket " .

I couldn t quite tell if the comment was a joke of some sort cos i really struggle to believe that someone cannot afford £1 for a mop & £1 for a bucket .

If the OP cannot affird a mop then presumably they cannot afford a sponge either or nappies either .

Tho , curiously they are able to participate in an internet forum using a computer or maybe a smartfone neither of which can be bought at poundshop as they are costly items

I ve found the entire thread plain weird to be honest .

One moment " theres a bit of water " the next " its sloshing around " . So , is there a little water or alot of water because " sloshing around " sounds like more water than i d like to have in my engine bilges .

Weird weird thread - i do hope the " cant afford a mop n bucket " was a joke that went over my head

cheers

Edited by chubby

I lost any idea of contributing in a worthwhile way to this thread when i read " cannot afford a mop & bucket " .

I couldn t quite tell if the comment was a joke of some sort cos i really struggle to believe that someone cannot afford £1 for a mop & £1 for a bucket .

If the OP cannot affird a mop then presumably they cannot afford a sponge either or nappies either .

Tho , curiously they are able to participate in an internet forum using a computer or maybe a smartfone neither of which can be bought at poundshop as they are costly items

I ve the entire thread plain weird to be honest .

One moment " theres a bit of water " the next " its sloshing around " . So , is there a little water or alot of water because " sloshing around " sounds like more water than i d like to have in my engine bilges .

Weird weird thread - i do hope the " cant afford a mop n bucket " was a joke that went over my head

cheers

If you can neither be nice nor helpful, please don't speak to me.

Just to clarify: I didn't know the pound shop sold mops and buckets, the cheapest I found (and didn't buy) locally was £4, which as I said, I can't afford. I'm pleased for you if you've never experienced that level of poverty; please appreciate it instead of making assumptions and leaving snarky comments.

Thank you to everyone who has tried to help.

I wasn t speaking to you . It is not " your thread " .

It is a forum where comments go back and forth .

I am free to make , what i consider to be reasonable comments .

Your bilge is full of water . You need to Scoop it up or soak it up or pump it out .

Rain isnt the bane of your life - it seems a little unreasonable to blame rain in a country in NW Europe that is known to be " a little drizzly " on occasions

. You have leaks . Find them Fix them .

In the meantime , youll be getting your hands dirty to clear out the water .

Sorry if i come across as a bit harsh .

Actually ... no im not

ETA :

Its not reasonable to use the word " poverty " either . You own a boat , you clearly own a computer or a smartfone .

Get yourself on a plane - theres no end of real poverty in the world but whingers who dont have £2 for a mop and bucket are exactly that - whingers & poverty isnt a word thats suitable

Edited by chubby

Hosepipe= Stick one end in the water, other end in yer gob and suck like anything to fill the hose. You can either keep sucking to fill yer gob and spit it out every time or gauge when the water's getting close to it, withdraw from gob, put thumb over end to trap the water in, remove other end from bilge and into a can, remove thumb to eject, repeat as necessary. the longer the hose the more water it will contain, depends on you sucking power. closedeyes.gif

Edited by bizzard

I wasn t speaking to you . It is not " your thread " .

It is a forum where comments go back and forth .

I am free to make , what i consider to be reasonable comments .

Your bilge is full of water . You need to Scoop it up or soak it up or pump it out .

Rain isnt the bane of your life - it seems a little unreasonable to blame rain in a country in NW Europe that is known to be " a little drizzly " on occasions

. You have leaks . Find them Fix them .

In the meantime , youll be getting your hands dirty to clear out the water .

Sorry if i come across as a bit harsh .

Actually ... no im not

ETA :

Its not reasonable to use the word " poverty " either . You own a boat , you clearly own a computer or a smartfone .

Get yourself on a plane - theres no end of real poverty in the world but whingers who dont have £2 for a mop and bucket are exactly that - whingers & poverty isnt a word thats suitable

What a lovely person you seem to be.

Hosepipe= Stick one end in the water, other end in yer gob and suck like anything to fill the hose. You can either keep sucking to fill yer gob and spit it out every time or gauge when the water's getting close to it, withdraw from gob, put thumb over end to trap the water in, remove other end from bilge and into a can, remove thumb to eject, repeat as necessary. the longer the hose the more water it will contain, depends on you sucking power. closedeyes.gif

Tried that with a fishtank once, didn't end well!

If you're going to use nappies or similar I'd do this first: Assuming the bilge pump isn't central in the engine bay put your body weight to the side that the pump is on. The water will 'slosh' over to that side, making it deeper. You should then be able to operate the bilge pump and get maybe half the water out. If there's a fat bloke nearby who is willing to help, all the better.

To be honest though, if rain water gets in there, it will get wet again the next time it rains. My boat suffers from this problem, the steps at the rear drain into the engine bilge. I've given up with the idea of keeping it dry. Don't think it matters really.

Silverlode

If you cannot afford a mop and bucket use an old towel or something similar to dip in the bilge water and then wring it out into the canal.

Steve

That's an idea, thanks Steve ?

If you're going to use nappies or similar I'd do this first: Assuming the bilge pump isn't central in the engine bay put your body weight to the side that the pump is on. The water will 'slosh' over to that side, making it deeper. You should then be able to operate the bilge pump and get maybe half the water out. If there's a fat bloke nearby who is willing to help, all the better.

To be honest though, if rain water gets in there, it will get wet again the next time it rains. My boat suffers from this problem, the steps at the rear drain into the engine bilge. I've given up with the idea of keeping it dry. Don't think it matters really.

That's exactly what happens to me. I need to sort out my windows really; that's where the rain gets in. That will have to wait though. I know it's not a huge problem - just don't like occasionally hearing water in the bilge! I guess I'll just get used to it :)

Ok

How certain are you that this water in the engine bilge is coming thru leaky windows ?

Can it be coming thru the boards above your engine ( if its a cruiser stern ) ?

Can it be coming thru the stern gland . Water enters my engine bilge drip by drip when cruising - its fairly normal .... not ideal but not a problem either . .

Could this be happening to you too ?

Could the water be entering your engine bay by all the above methods ?

You need to get the water out of the engine bilge really . Once dried out the investigations as to where its coming from will be easier tho not necessarily easy .

Unfortunately theres no nice way of getting that water out . The bilge pump will only get X amount out and the rest will involve a fair bit of physical effort as they aren t comfortable places to work in .

A combination of scooping or hand pumping followed by nappies should do it .

Then you can check how the waters getting in .

Maybe cover the deck boards with tarpaulin completley when it rains next . If the bilge is fairly dry after a heavy downpour ( or pour buckets of water on ) then the engine boards may be suspect ?

Check the stern gland with engine running - are there drips coming thru at the rear of the engine bay ?

Maybe put a small bowl underneath to catch them so u can tell for certain that theres a drippy stern gland

Ironically now is exactly the time , whilst its rainy , to check for the leaks in the windows and deckboards . You may not be able fix the windows till the weathers better but you can seek identify the problem at least . It could be a chore finding out the problem , but you cannot create a solution until you have identified for certain how the water is getting in

Unfirtunatley , it us likely you ll need to spend some money , hopefully not much but i suspect you will need to spend some .

Maybe tarpaulin , gaffer tape , nappies etc .

Get the water out , get the bilge as dry as poss and next time it rains you might stand a better chance of discovering how its got in there

Edited by chubby

If its a boozer stern boat a simple tent can be erected over it to keep rain out. The boat pole or any pole or length of wood will make the ridge pole. Lay one end on the cabin top with the other end tied with a shoe lace or string the the tiller arm. Sling a tarp over it and tie down all around securely. You can dangle milk cartons filled with water from the eyelets to hold it down, but at least two proper tie downs each side will be needed or it will take of and blow away in a strong wind. If you use the stern end to go in and out of the boat leave a bit of the tarp easy to raise and lower. New ordinary Tarps with eyelets are CHEAP. A translucent one will let in the light. Velcro could be stuck on and used as tie downs also.

Ok

How certain are you that this water in the engine bilge is coming thru leaky windows ?

Can it be coming thru the boards above your engine ( if its a cruiser stern ) ?

Can it be coming thru the stern gland . Water enters my engine bilge drip by drip when cruising - its fairly normal .... not ideal but not a problem either . .

Could this be happening to you too ?

Could the water be entering your engine bay by all the above methods ?

You need to get the water out of the engine bilge really . Once dried out the investigations as to where its coming from will be easier tho not necessarily easy .

Unfortunately theres no nice way of getting that water out . The bilge pump will only get X amount out and the rest will involve a fair bit of physical effort as they aren t comfortable places to work in .

A combination of scooping or hand pumping followed by nappies should do it .

Then you can check how the waters getting in .

Maybe cover the deck boards with tarpaulin completley when it rains next . If the bilge is fairly dry after a heavy downpour ( or pour buckets of water on ) then the engine boards may be suspect ?

Check the stern gland with engine running - are there drips coming thru at the rear of the engine bay ?

Maybe put a small bowl underneath to catch them so u can tell for certain that theres a drippy stern gland

Ironically now is exactly the time , whilst its rainy , to check for the leaks in the windows and deckboards . You may not be able fix the windows till the weathers better but you can seek identify the problem at least . It could be a chore finding out the problem , but you cannot create a solution until you have identified for certain how the water is getting in

Unfirtunatley , it us likely you ll need to spend some money , hopefully not much but i suspect you will need to spend some .

Maybe tarpaulin , gaffer tape , nappies etc .

Get the water out , get the bilge as dry as poss and next time it rains you might stand a better chance of discovering how its got in there

Pretty certain the windows were the main culprit. I temporarily fixed them with duct tape, which seems to have worked, judging by the lack of puddles this morning! That will have to do until summer, when I'll take the windows out and re seal them.

Boards above the engine aren't great, so I think that's the main source, but will check the stern gland too (it DID leak slightly but was fixed.) Will get a tarp asap in the meantime.

Not at all adverse to hard work and/or mucky jobs, I just asked about the Aquavac on the offchance. But, I guess towels and nappies it is!

Thanks for your advice.

This is it ,

Its likely to be a combination of things thats leading to a watery bilge . As i say , i think the best that can be done is to get the bilges as dry as poss and then get the stern covered with a tarp .

Im a million miles from being being knowledgeable but id bet that the stern deck boards ( if its a cruiser ) are likely to allow water into the bilge more than the windows .

So , atleast your Spring / Early summer boat maintenence schedule is now planned ?

For now , dry the bilge as best as poss & try to cover the decks