What distances from your boat?

sal garfi

Featured Posts

. And I'm not sure where we go from there.

I wouldn't worry. According to the OED "distance" usually applies to space, but it can refer to "time". The first example of the latter use is in Chaucer, so I reckon it's alright to use it in either sense.

But the thread title clearly states "distances", which are properly measured in miles or, by foreigners, in kilometres.

I guess that the use of time to express a distanced is an abbreviation. For example, I could say "We live 96 miles from our mooring. It takes us just over two hours to get there"; I could say "We live two hours from our boat", as it would be shorter and would still be understood.

But I don't.

OP said "So how much time are people willing to travel..." hence I answered in units of time. Had he/she said "how far" I would have answered in units of distance. Not that complicated is it?

OP said "So how much time are people willing to travel..." hence I answered in units of time. Had he/she said "how far" I would have answered in units of distance. Not that complicated is it?

Not for me, no, though I can't say if it is for you or not.,

Not for me, no, though I can't say if it is for you or not.,

I can. No problem whatsoever.

However I can say that it is 360 chains to get to my boat, for those who prefer a linear measurement.

Edited by Guest

Oh hang on, yes! I don't often go down that end. She's in Nordelph, moored quite near a short tug called Icarus and a boat with one of those common names, Narrow Escape, Longfellow or something. Starling has, I think, moored there for quite a while. I hadn't noticed her getting all scruffy, but I haven't been along that stretch since early November.

You got it!

I wouldn't worry. According to the OED "distance" usually applies to space, but it can refer to "time". The first example of the latter use is in Chaucer, so I reckon it's alright to use it in either sense.

A physicist would tell you that space-time is a single dimension.

post-11261-0-07709600-1484869917_thumb.jpg11300 miles in a straight line but because of compulsory stops in air terminals enroute more like 12000 miles. Takes a day and a half minimum. We only visit the boat once a year (for nearly six months though) although on our first year it was twice as a daughter chose an ill opportune time to get married. It is warm a sunny here in Auckland for working on the other 58ft boat in my life. Currently derigged to repair a split in the 65ft wooden mast so we are stripping all seven spars back to bare wood for revarnishing. Waitangi was built in 1894 and has been restored back close to original condition and still racing.
Don

Edited by DandV

I can. No problem whatsoever.

However I can say that it is 360 chains to get to my boat, for those who prefer a linear measurement.

My mental arithmetic tells me that its four and a half miles. Am I close?

My mental arithmetic tells me that its four and a half miles. Am I close?

Not sure, back in the mid-sixties when I started training to be a Surveyor a chain was 100ft, and you used a 100 ft chain for land surveys, throwing it out holding both handles to reach 50ft was quite an art, so was rewinding it.

We also used to have javelin 'throwing' contests with ranging rods, lunch in the village pub, and cutting 'chain lines' through scrub was fun. It invariably rained.

Life were fun in them days!.

L

Not sure, back in the mid-sixties when I started training to be a Surveyor a chain was 100ft, and you used a 100 ft chain for land surveys, throwing it out holding both handles to reach 50ft was quite an art, so was rewinding it.

We also used to have javelin 'throwing' contests with ranging rods, lunch in the village pub, and cutting 'chain lines' through scrub was fun. It invariably rained.

L

I took it as being 66 feet - the length of a cricket pitch, which I thought was a chain.

I don't think blue is the right colour for a dog. Even the Smurfs' dog isn't blue:

http://smurfs.wikia.com/wiki/Puppy_(character)

That's because he's not been painted yet, silly. http://smurfsfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Puppy_(Empath_stories)

I wonder why the links to that site don't work...

Interesting that the few remaining boatmen on the L&L when we were kids usually talked in hours to sail to somewhwere. If we asked how far it was from A to B you normally got the answer in hours, because they had no other means of measuring it.

Why? Don't you know where your boat is?

Never lost it yet, though I have lost me car a few times at the airport etc. smile.png

I confess to boarding the wrong boat once in the dark when more than a little drunk. Speckled Hen on draught is potent stuff.

It is.

22 yards in a chain, 10 chains to a furlong, etc.

We will be reintroducing these measurements after March.

Edited by Guest

L

A Chain is 22 Yards (66 feet). There are 80 Chains to the mile, 10 chains to the furlong.

An Acre is 10 square chains

Oh, and the railways still use distances in chains

A Chain is 22 Yards (66 feet). There are 80 Chains to the mile, 10 chains to the furlong.

An Acre is 10 square chains

Oh, and the railways still use distances in chains

There's a surprise. They still use £ s d around our way if they turn up. The staff went on a go slow last year and nobody noticed.

I confess to boarding the wrong boat once in the dark when more than a little drunk. Speckled Hen on draught is potent stuff.

Been there and done that at our marina!

For some reason I got up early morning after a heavy night out and decided to use the marina facilities instead of those aboard. On the way back I walked along the pontoon, got on what I though was our boat, took my shoes off and walked to the cabin door. It was only at this point that I looked up and realised, our boat doesn't have radar rolleyes.gif

I had got on the wrong S23 laugh.png

Although in my defence we were the only S23 on E Pontoon the week before wacko.png

I don't think blue is the right colour for a dog. Even the Smurfs' dog isn't blue:

http://smurfs.wikia.com/wiki/Puppy_(character)

According to this there are at least 7 breeds of dog that are blue. I think either them or I must be colour blind!

http://caninebreeds.bulldoginformation.com/blue-dogs.html

Edited to add the missing link. Doh.

Edited by cuthound

Been there and done that at our marina!

For some reason I got up early morning after a heavy night out and decided to use the marina facilities instead of those aboard. On the way back I walked along the pontoon, got on what I though was our boat, took my shoes off and walked to the cabin door. It was only at this point that I looked up and realised, our boat doesn't have radar rolleyes.gif

I had got on the wrong S23 laugh.png

Although in my defence we were the only S23 on E Pontoon the week before wacko.png

Nowt worse is there? Quite common with hire boats on the cut I am told. We have not had a human board our boat in error yet, though a few dogs and cats have. A black Lab came aboard once and started to settle down for the night, until the emabarrased owner asked to come aboard and shift it. Also regular to get dogs on the towpath poking their heads in the side hatch; I think the smell of food attracts them.

According to this there are at least 7 breeds of dog that are blue. I think either them or I must be colour blind!

I think one is a Kerry Blue? my neighbour once had a dog that was a something or other blue, though it was grey.

Edited by Guest