What distances from your boat?

sal garfi

Featured Posts

Ironbridge to Dover, 250 miles (?) Dunkirk to Valenciennes about 100. But sometimes its in Holland and sometimes its even further away in Burgundy so odd weekend visits are not really on so every summer is a trip of weeks or months. Even with the cost of travel and the worthless £ its still cheaper than UK licences and moorings.

That's dedication! Is there not an air route which would ease your journey?

All you people quoting distance in units of time, please stop it, only Americans do that!

I'm not sad enough to know the exact miles, furlongs, chains and feet between my front door and the boat's mooring. All I know is it takes about 2 hours, 15 minutes to get there.

However running it through Google Maps it says 138 miles.

But the thread title clearly states "distances", which are properly measured in miles or, by foreigners, in kilometres.

The OP just as clearly asks "So how much time are people willing to travel from their 'bricks and mortar' to enjoy the cut?"

Depends where i leave it, as have no mooring so changes but its normally near fam member frienfs on travel route to keep an eye on it

Ill happly leave it at liverpool or k & a depends where in the waterway i want to go

Yes, it's self-contradictory, isn't it?

No, because two questions can't contradict one another.

Or perhaps you're allowing yourself a little looseness in your use of language, and using "Yes, it's self-contradictory, isn't it?" as a sort of not-strictly-correct shorthand for something like "Yes, the OP is being inconsistent in asking first for a distance and then for a time, isn't he?"

Which is fair enough in an informal context like this; I knew what you were driving at, after all.

Just as we all knew what the OP was driving at when, speaking loosely, he asked about distances and then clarified that his real interest was in the time taken to travel those distances.

No, because two questions can't contradict one another.

Or perhaps you're allowing yourself a little looseness in your use of language, and using "Yes, it's self-contradictory, isn't it?" as a sort of not-strictly-correct shorthand for something like "Yes, the OP is being inconsistent in asking first for a distance and then for a time, isn't he?"

...and, in so doing, is being self-contradictory, as I said. Quod erat demonstrandum.

I always thought QED was an acronym for Quite Easily Done wink.png

Not when I was doing maths at school! My performance was often Quite Execrably Dire. My possession of an O level in maths is proof that miracles do happen.

Oddly enough I live in Nottingham and my boat's in Wales. We probably pass on the A38

Hah!! My drive is a good one, (I spoil myself on the M6 Toll road) but I still think that three hours plus is too much. I actually don't like driving out of mid-Wales: I've become a real country bumkin!

All you people quoting distance in units of time, please stop it, only Americans do that!

Well Mike, you better get at everyone for saying 'guy' and wearing baseball caps too. Unfortunately, this country's been well down the slippery slope to being Americanised for decades.. Ho hum.., and such seems to be the way of things... change and decay!

Edited by sal garfi

...and, in so doing, is being self-contradictory, as I said. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Nope. One can't contradict oneself by asking questions; only by making statements.

"It's perfectly dry and sunny out there; the sky's overcast and it's pouring with rain." - Self-contradictory

"What's the weather like? Will I need an umbrella?" - Not self-contradictory, although strictly speaking not consistent in terms of the information being requested.

I am surprised at the distances and times that some of you travel to get to your boats.

Clearly some of you don't just nip to the boat as and when the fancy takes you and only go for longer stints then a weekend.

Even with the 2hr+ journey time we have often just popped up for the day and more often than not just spend 1 night on board.

I don't have a boat, but my brother lives about 120 miles from his, which is pretty meaningless because London is in between. His journey is nearly all motorway, and can be done in under two hours on a good day. But the M25 doesn't have many of those and the M1's not much better, it's typically three to four hours. One Friday when he knew the Dartford Tunnel queue was bad we set off about 4pm and went for the Blackwall tunnel. This turned out to be a mistake, it took two hours to get north of the river then every main road we saw in East London was full of near-static traffic. We finally got out by going south a bit then east onto the M25 about 10pm, reaching the boat at midnight.

No, your example is not.

And yet this is?

"...how far away from your boat do you live?...how much time are people willing to travel from their 'bricks and mortar' to enjoy the cut?"

Or is that not what you're saying?

(I should walk away while I have a sense of irony left really; I was trying to make the point that it's a bit silly to get into nit-picky 'strictly speaking'-type arguments about the correct use of language in an informal context where all of us (yourself included) are speaking loosely all the time, but since you don't think you were speaking loosely, here I am up to my neck in just such a nit-picky argument...)

And yet this is?

"...how far away from your boat do you live?...how much time are people willing to travel from their 'bricks and mortar' to enjoy the cut?"

Or is that not what you're saying?

(I should walk away while I have a sense of irony left really; I was trying to make the point that it's a bit silly to get into nit-picky 'strictly speaking'-type arguments about the correct use of language in an informal context where all of us (yourself included) are speaking loosely all the time, but since you don't think you were speaking loosely, here I am up to my neck in just such a nit-picky argument...)

Yes, and you are sure that you're correct, and I am sure that I'm correct. But we both know what we mean, so I think it's time for a virtual handshake.

Hmmm...is that a lovat-coloured 54 foot Springer? I don't recognise the name but the description sounds familiar. If so, that's along our road and I know the family who bought it. It's one of the first Springers, built 1969.

Pretty certain it is not a Springer (no moustache) and if memory serves it is green. Reckon its around the 50ft mark though.

That's dedication! Is there not an air route which would ease your journey?

Ah, thing is that there's always some big lump to go to or from the boat, batteries, calorifier (sprung leak last summer) a hundredweight of spanners and tools, dog. paint (awfully dear in France) etc, etc. Boats, always something that needs fixing.

Pretty certain it is not a Springer (no moustache) and if memory serves it is green. Reckon its around the 50ft mark though.

Oh hang on, yes! I don't often go down that end. She's in Nordelph, moored quite near a short tug called Icarus and a boat with one of those common names, Narrow Escape, Longfellow or something. Starling has, I think, moored there for quite a while. I hadn't noticed her getting all scruffy, but I haven't been along that stretch since early November.

Ah, thing is that there's always some big lump to go to or from the boat, batteries, calorifier (sprung leak last summer) a hundredweight of spanners and tools, dog. paint (awfully dear in France) etc, etc. Boats, always something that needs fixing.

Am I the only one who read "dog paint"?

I was puzzling ? why you'd want to paint a dog...

Yes, and you are sure that you're correct, and I am sure that I'm correct. But we both know what we mean, so I think it's time for a virtual handshake.

I suppose so. You seem pretty sure that you've shown the OP to have contradicted himself by asking two inconsistent questions, and I'm equally sure that someone just cannot, logically, contradict himself by asking two questions. And I'm not sure where we go from there.