Featured Posts

Yes, I realise ;-)

But funnily enough that would work well for me - if someone wants a trip to london and to stay in my home and look after it for a week or two, whilst I get to explore their neck of the woods in their narrowboat... I don't see why that wouldn't work, as long as the relationships are solid and trustworthy. That would be awesome. I get my big London boat, and the opportunity to occassionaly go meandering through the narrow canals!

Yes I think it is a perfectly viable plan. The hardest part will be striking up that close relationship. Both of you will be deeply concerned about the wellbeing of your boats in the other's hands.

A possible stumbing block will be insurance. What if you sink their boat (or someone else's)?

Considering he only paid £150K for it, not a bad profit if he could sell it for £250K, Jonathan Wilson Sheffield.

How much are you expecting to pay for a full fit Brigantine?

The reason the Brigantine handles better is that it was designed with the larger continental waterways in mind hence different hull design, the Sheffield was designed to give maximum living space. Both handle fine and manoeuvre well. You will get to handle the boat no matter which one you choose it's just a matter of experience and getting used to the size.

I know it isn't the right reason, but the Brigantine just looks better. It looks like an elegant boat. The Sheffield, to me, doesn't have as attractive lines. On top of that, I know the Brigantine handles better, which will help my novice hands (I only skip yachts to date). This is much about WANTING a Brigantine as needing one. I know the interior space suffers, but I can compromise on that regard - which is why I want to stretch it to 65 or 70'

Yes I think it is a perfectly viable plan. The hardest part will be striking up that close relationship. Both of you will be deeply concerned about the wellbeing of your boats in the other's hands.

A possible stumbing block will be insurance. What if you sink their boat (or someone else's)?

Yeah, there will be hurdles. And I generally try not to sink boats until their owners aren't looking.

Considering he only paid £150K for it, not a bad profit if he could sell it for £250K, Jonathan Wilson Sheffield.

How much are you expecting to pay for a full fit Brigantine?

The reason the Brigantine handles better is that it was designed with the larger continental waterways in mind hence different hull design, the Sheffield was designed to give maximum living space. Both handle fine and manoeuvre well. You will get to handle the boat no matter which one you choose it's just a matter of experience and getting used to the size.

I have between 180 and 200 to spend (with no contingency fund... that's the absolute maximum)... For that i think I can get the specs I want on a new build

Well you are certainly doing a fantastic job of getting Tyl. WILS. Brigant..up the Google searches with your tags and posts.☺

Not intentional - I was asking for advice and it has kind of snowballed into a conversation that has been the most informative for me in my whole boat-buying process! I'm impressed by the number of people who have jumped in with helpful opinions!

I have between 180 and 200 to spend (with no contingency fund... that's the absolute maximum)... For that i think I can get the specs I want on a new build

Not intentional - I was asking for advice and it has kind of snowballed into a conversation that has been the most informative for me in my whole boat-buying process! I'm impressed by the number of people who have jumped in with helpful opinions!

Why not buy a boat up North where they are sensibly priced and then ship it down south?

This Tyler Wilson Sheffield Keel has recently sold (brand new) for £90k.

http://cvmarine.co.uk/2016/05/25/tyler-wilson-60ftx12ft-sheffield-class/

I doubt you will get a fully fitted Tyler/Wilson Brigantine for that price, especially 70ft x 12ft and fitted out to their normal standard. Good Luck you may need to look at a different builder or used.

I don't know enough to know if you're being sarcastic. My impression was a boat of 250k should have AGM or Victron GEL batteries?

Unless you have a fair bit of 'off-grid' living experience and managing to generate and 'manage' your own electricity I would strongly suggest that you go for the cheapest batteries you can whilst you intend to 'cruise', once you are settled into the Marina as a 'floating flat' then look to upgrade when you have unlimited power and can run whatever domestic appliances you want.

You can kill in a week, £2000 worth of batteries, (or £200 worth of batteries just as easily) until you get the hang of battery management and limiting electrical usage.

Thinks like Kettles, Washing Machines, Hair Dryers, Microwave Ovens, immersion heaters etc are all pretty much 'no-no' until you know how much electricity you use, how much you need to put back and how you are going to put it back.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Unless you have a fair bit of 'off-grid' living experience and managing to generate and 'manage' your own electricity I would strongly suggest that you go for the cheapest batteries you can whilst you intend to 'cruise', once you are settled into the Marina as a 'floating flat' then look to upgrade when you have unlimited power and can run whatever domestic appliances you want.

You can kill in a week, £2000 worth of batteries, (or £200 worth of batteries just as easily) until you get the hang of battery management and limiting electrical usage.

Thinks like Kettles, Washing Machines, Hair Dryers, Microwave Ovens, immersion heaters etc are all pretty much 'no-no' until you know how much electricity you use, how much you need to put back and how you are going to put it back.

I have a fair bit of experience already, and what I don't know, I've spent a few months reading about - I'm pretty confident I would make it work without killing battery packs the first few attempts. Having said that, I also am adamant on wanting a generator so I can run my computer, air pump for blow-up dolls etc..........

I doubt you will get a fully fitted Tyler/Wilson Brigantine for that price, especially 70ft x 12ft and fitted out to their normal standard. Good Luck you may need to look at a different builder or used.

Heading to London Boatshow in Jan to meet with a few builders to find out what can be done within my budget. Will reassess then if needs be.

I have a fair bit of experience already, and what I don't know, I've spent a few months reading about - I'm pretty confident I would make it work without killing battery packs the first few attempts. Having said that, I also am adamant on wanting a generator so I can run my computer, air pump for blow-up dolls etc..........

If you think about it, you are talking via your computer to people living on boats (not us though) who all have computers of some kind. Not all of them have generators

Solar is a very practical power source, perhaps not for a power hungry boat, but certainly for normal living

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I keep seeing the word "'compromise "' relating to this new boat . Can soneone explain how a 65 x 12 ft boat compromises any space .

It seems to me the only compromises likely to be made are by the poor bastards who have to get out the way on GU canal as you ponce around your ocean going liner .

Get a massive boat , put it on your mooring , count the profits - coa thats wot this about , & hire a narrowboat for your holiday s . You don't exactly sound skint now

• Greenie 3

I know it isn't the right reason, but the Brigantine just looks better. It looks like an elegant boat. The Sheffield, to me, doesn't have as attractive lines. On top of that, I know the Brigantine handles better, which will help my novice hands (I only skip yachts to date). This is much about WANTING a Brigantine as needing one. I know the interior space suffers, but I can compromise on that regard - which is why I want to stretch it to 65 or 70'

Yeah, there will be hurdles. And I generally try not to sink boats until their owners aren't looking.

you know when you are sat inside you cannot see said elegant lines? You're paying premium to look good for others and the occasions you see it across the marina when walking home. I'd rather save the money and spend it on a better fit out as I reckon that would make a better return in a marina environment than the best hull.

If you think about it, you are talking via your computer to people living on boats (not us though) who all have computers of some kind. Not all of them have generators

Solar is a very practical power source, perhaps not for a power hungry boat, but certainly for normal living

Richard

I'd say the vast majority of us living off grid this time of year WILL have a generator, given the negligible output of solar in winter. For example I have 560W of solar on my roof, I'm moored in direct, brilliant sunshine in the middle of the day and the solar controller says 3.2A charge current. That will subside to zero in a couple of hours.

I'd say the vast majority of us living off grid this time of year WILL have a generator, given the negligible output of solar in winter. For example I have 560W of solar on my roof, I'm moored in direct, brilliant sunshine in the middle of the day and the solar controller says 3.2A charge current. That will subside to zero in a couple of hours.

The OP hasn't said, my guess is that this boat will cruise in the summer and live on a couple of power points in winter

Richard

are there going to be some at next years show as there were ZERO at the 2016 show.

Good point. Crick is THE show to visit for people wanting to buy an ocean liner.

(Nice one Mr Chubby. I tried to say the same thing earlier but was being more polite about it!)

IF you are in London this weekend and in the Limehouse marina area and fancy seeing what a second hand Polish boat with a good fit out looks like feel free to message as Ill be at home most of the weekend carrying on with my bath swap out. I think you could get so much more for a lot less than your budget although if you're set on the Brigantine then its unlikely to sway you at all.

I keep seeing the word "'compromise "' relating to this new boat . Can soneone explain how a 65 x 12 ft boat compromises any space .

It seems to me the only compromises likely to be made are by the poor bastards who have to get out the way on GU canal as you ponce around your ocean going liner .

Get a massive boat , put it on your mooring , count the profits - coa thats wot this about , & hire a narrowboat for your holiday s . You don't exactly sound skint now

Well yes, but that assumes I'm going to be an arse about it... I've been on a narrowboat, I know what it's like when the widebeams come storming past - I also know that a bit of respect (and some bow thrusters) help getting out of the way a bit. It's not ideal, sure, but the compromise is in everyone using the canals. You can't say that larger widebeams can't use the canals - many members of this forum have widebeams. I'm not "counting profits" I'm trying to compromise between having a good 'home' for my family and a chance to explore a small part of the UK's waterways!

No need to start throwing stones at me just yet.

IF you are in London this weekend and in the Limehouse marina area and fancy seeing what a second hand Polish boat with a good fit out looks like feel free to message as Ill be at home most of the weekend carrying on with my bath swap out. I think you could get so much more for a lot less than your budget although if you're set on the Brigantine then its unlikely to sway you at all.

I'm in Australia, til Jan 3rd, but thanks anyhow.

Polish - as in Viking Boats? I like them - have been in talks.

Good point. Crick is THE show to visit for people wanting to buy an ocean liner.

(Nice one Mr Chubby. I tried to say the same thing earlier but was being more polite about it!)i

It's a shame that owners of Ocean Liners can't navigate the canals because they're full of those annoying narrowboats. Without narrowboats, I could have a 70 x 14 ;-)

• Greenie 1

Lesley's boat is a 57/60ft and she only cruisers the big canals/rivers on the Northern network and she rarely goes out. Cruising half mile and back on a 60ft Sheffield class to and from Jonathan Wilsons yard on a straight canal is a bit different then a 70ft x 12ft on the London system. Anyway I'm not going there. There is more space in the Sheffield for residential, that's why Jonathan started building them.

Lesleys boat is 60 x 12.6 she was constant cruising for nearly a year so if that is hardly going out i dont know, she hs been on holiday with us a couple of times and went up to york on her own last year i think. The brigantine is chined so it gets in to moor easier the loss of space minimal but the better handling worth the cost. Up and down the sheffield was enough to know which is the better craft of the two for sailing