Featured Posts

I thought the dock / Marina in question didn t allow the use solid fuel stoves ? There was a chap on here in the last fortnight seeking advice etc regarding a boat currently for sale at the same location and solid fuel stoves aren t allowed there . I imagine this is because of the flats all around the dock .

If your stay there is a temporary one and then you seek to move elsewhere then I wouldn't overly concern yourself with specifics regarding a new stove . If your hooked up to leccy then you heat water with an immersion coil fitted to the calorifier ( hot water tank ) and perhaps run a diesel type stove such as a refleks or a kabola old dutch .

I think that your priority is first and foremost to find and acquire your boat , ideally it ll be 80% or more the way you want it and then look to get into the details about how to make it as you would really want it . You may find that some of your preferences change ?

Its always a good idea to think about what you want from your boat & changes you would like to make but firstly find and buy your boat & take it from there .

I think that your priority is first and foremost to find and acquire your boat , ideally it ll be 80% or more the way you want it and then look to get into the details about how to make it as you would really want it . You may find that some of your preferences change ?

Its always a good idea to think about what you want from your boat & changes you would like to make but firstly find and buy your boat & take it from there .

I think the OP getting ahead of himself, as he keeps referring to the 61ft Dutch Barge on Apolloduck moored on the K&A and is looking to buy and move on late 2017.

A lot of things can happen in a year, the boat will be more then likely sold by then never mind the availability of moorings. So if I were he I wouldn't be worrying about batteries, heating, moorings and grey water tanks, when I haven't even looked at any boats yet.

Edited by Northernboater

Er, Peter, those are the same thing!

Perhaps you mean that ours has more sophisticated controls; as I mentioned earlier, I've had two; the previous one was a converted Royal which did indeed have fewer control options.

Sorry for late reply Athy thats what i was pointing out i tried to post yesterday but windows 10 has done a good job of wrecking my puter. I agree it could have been the oven glass on the refurbed rayburn it was 2 years ago and i was saying that your new rayburn if oil fired can do central heating in isolation whereas mine cant

Sorry for late reply Athy thats what i was pointing out i tried to post yesterday but windows 10 has done a good job of wrecking my puter. I agree it could have been the oven glass on the refurbed rayburn it was 2 years ago and i was saying that your new rayburn if oil fired can do central heating in isolation whereas mine cant

Quite correct - our 460K (I think that's its index number) can, and does, do that.

I still operate Windows 7, they have offered me a free "upgrade" to Windows 10 but I have heard mixed reports about its desirability.

Quite correct - our 460K (I think that's its index number) can, and does, do that.

I still operate Windows 7, they have offered me a free "upgrade" to Windows 10 but I have heard mixed reports about its desirability.

are you on a landline for your internet, because one upgrade of windows 10 used all my mobile allowance. secondly can you cope with your puter nearly stopping at times, removing norton security in preference to it its security [what a virus i got because of that] and from what i have had no gain of anything at all, just pain. i will load windows 7 back on when i am back at the boat its all to much hassle for me

Agree with,Peter ref Win 10, Mr Gates must be in cahoots with mobile providers because every so often there comes a massive allowance eating update/download, with many smaller ones inbetween.

Phil

it does make you wonder at times whether its all worth the hassle i cant touch the caps lock and the shift key produces this at he moment precisely nothing or a capital a weird to say the least. i have had this problem on and off since i downgraded to windows 10

Agree with,Peter ref Win 10, Mr Gates must be in cahoots with mobile providers because every so often there comes a massive allowance eating update/download, with many smaller ones inbetween.

Phil

You can set your connection to be a "metered connection" and win10 should not do updates. You can then go to the pub to do the updates.

This works fairly well though I strongly suspect that a few "secret" updates still get through, especially update updates that are done to undo the mess made by a previous update. These don't even appear on the update list but I know they have happened.

.................Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, an update. Thanks to the many helpful members of this forum, I've decided to purchase a modern replica Dutch Barge. I've found the boat I like, am waiting on some quotes for some minor alterations and then prepared to proceed.

The best news of all, and the biggest hindrance to this entire project, is that I got my Limehouse mooring!

Sincere thanks to all who helped with this decision. I'll have a great home, one that I can cruise on the Thames up to Oxford, and I can explore the canals in a hire boat, without bringing yet another massive boat onto the congested canals.

Ok, an update. Thanks to the many helpful members of this forum, I've decided to purchase a modern replica Dutch Barge. I've found the boat I like, am waiting on some quotes for some minor alterations and then prepared to proceed.

The best news of all, and the biggest hindrance to this entire project, is that I got my Limehouse mooring!

Sincere thanks to all who helped with this decision. I'll have a great home, one that I can cruise on the Thames up to Oxford, and I can explore the canals in a hire boat, without bringing yet another massive boat onto the congested canals.

Many congratulations :)

A link to the boat?