Featured Posts

Your not making much sense now, that barge is approx £168,000 it is in Holland, you either fit it out in Holland then get it to the UK or get it to a yard in the UK and complete the fitout. With transportation and fitout your well over your budget.

Send the seller an email for coatings to complete in Holland and transport to Uk or cost just to transport to the UK.

Just come to terms with it, your best bet with your budget is to buy a completed 2nd hand Dutch Barge. You could probably come in with offers circa £160K for the other one you listed and see what happens. As I said before not many people have your budget so your in a very good buying position.

By "Not making sense" please understand that I am new to barges, and am trying to make the best sense I can from the information I've been given, and have researched. It is far from complete and isn't perfect. Hence why I'm on this forum asking for help.

Been on sale for a while looking at the Ad and the phrase.

Please note that the asking price of 95,000 Euros converts into £78,500 @ today's Exchange rate 30/03/2014

The question becomes, why are these barges on the market for so long? Is the economy so sluggish in Europe that this can hinder sales, or are these boats failing on survey?

As a complete aside, any discussion of Tyler Wilson's boats drives us mildly crazy, because not only do we have a real Sheffield keel, we crew now and again on an actual brigantine. I can assure you that both are really quite straightforward to handle on a canal...

post-19732-0-64143100-1481896643_thumb.jpg

It means the bits that have been found to be too rotten have been replaced. The bits that were not found to be too rotten are still there. The bits that are still there with an unknown state may be good or rotten

Richard

Absolutely. All that shiny paint looks lovely but I wonder how long it might be before rich red rotten rust will rear its ugly head.

As a complete aside, any discussion of Tyler Wilson's boats drives us mildly crazy, because not only do we have a real Sheffield keel, we crew now and again on an actual brigantine. I can assure you that both are really quite straightforward to handle on a canal...

attachicon.gifDSC_1330.embedded.jpg

No problems with bridges then?

attachicon.gifDSC_1330.embedded.jpg

And it turns out I don't have anywhere near enough money to buy a TW 'Brigantine' or 'Sheffield Keel', in the spec I would want. The dynamic of this thread has changed to me finding out what sort of second hand Dutch Barge I can get for 200,000GBP

The question becomes, why are these barges on the market for so long?

Because they don't have a buyer, is the short answer. No idea what the European market is like, for the UK market they will have been hit by exchange rate changes and they are in the wrong place. Like Northernboater pointed out, they cost money to move, which needs to be budgeted for. And it would be madness to buy without visiting first, which means flights and more expense

Richard

And it turns out I don't have anywhere near enough money to buy a TW 'Brigantine' or 'Sheffield Keel', in the spec I would want. The dynamic of this thread has changed to me finding out what sort of second hand Dutch Barge I can get for 200,000GBP

Good, this is a worthwhile exercise then

You are going to buy a narrowboat, you know. Just wait and see

Richard

• Greenie 2

Because they don't have a buyer, is the short answer. No idea what the European market is like, for the UK market they will have been hit by exchange rate changes and they are in the wrong place. Like Northernboater pointed out, they cost money to move, which needs to be budgeted for. And it would be madness to buy without visiting first, which means flights and more expense

Richard

Good, this is a worthwhile exercise then

You are going to buy a narrowboat, you know. Just wait and see

Richard

Lol, That I won't do. It's not suitable for my family.

Something like this is where I'll likely land:

http://barges.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=480505

Lol, That I won't do. It's not suitable for my family.

I think this is the next thing for you to explore

Families come in all shapes and sizes - some even live on narrowboats (!). What is it about yours that makes your family incompatible with a narrowboat but compatible with a widebeam?

Richard

The question becomes, why are these barges on the market for so long? Is the economy so sluggish in Europe that this can hinder sales, or are these boats failing on survey?

Not many people have that kind of money to spend on a boat and if they did the one's with sense would buy a house.

The guy that runs the site Peter is only a salesman, he doesn't run a Marina or a water based brokerage. He sells the boats from there moorings all around UK and Holland. So he has very little outgoings which means he can tell the owners "yes put it on sale with me and I can get you £xxx" So he is in no rush to drop the price and can afford to hang on to them as he is not paying anything and will get his selling comission whenever the boat finally sells.

• Greenie 1

I think this is the next thing for you to explore

Families come in all shapes and sizes - some even live on narrowboats (!). What is it about yours that makes your family incompatible with a narrowboat but compatible with a widebeam?

Richard

What is it about my family? My unwillingness to have my family live on a narrowboat? I'm financially in a position that I can choose a variety of options, and a 6' beam narrowboat doesn't appeal to me at this stage of life.

Not many people have that kind of money to spend on a boat and if they did the one's with sense would buy a house.

The guy that runs the site Peter is only a salesman, he doesn't run a Marina or a water based brokerage. He sells the boats from there moorings all around UK and Holland. So he has very little outgoings which means he can tell the owners "yes put it on sale with me and I can get you £xxx" So he is in no rush to drop the price and can afford to hang on to them as he is not paying anything and will get his selling comission whenever the boat finally sells.

Well that is the real estate agents conundrum, but they work on commission. The incentive is to sell for whatever. You have the incentive backwards. (Freakonomics?)

What is it about my family? My unwillingness to have my family live on a narrowboat? I'm financially in a position that I can choose a variety of options, and a 6' beam narrowboat doesn't appeal to me at this stage of life.

Would you mind telling us about your family?

An example. I know we bought our boat with the expectation of regular family holidays. We didn't think through that our sons were just coming to an age that they would not be doing that, so in fact we used it twice that way

Richard

Yes, but there are other aspects involved. Personal financial issues which I won't go into here. Regardless, I can spend 200k on a boat. I want to spend 200k on a boat. I want the best I can get for 200k. I will not buy another house for 200k. Can we all please stop questioning my motives and address the actual issue, which is: if you had 200k to spend on a boat, what would you spend it on?

Yes, but there are other aspects involved. Personal financial issues which I won't go into here. Regardless, I can spend 200k on a boat. I want to spend 200k on a boat. I want the best I can get for 200k. I will not buy another house for 200k. Can we all please stop questioning my motives and address the actual issue, which is: if you had 200k to spend on a boat, what would you spend it on?

This:

http://www.burtonwaters.co.uk/boat-for-sale/Princess-45-Flybridge-FOR-SALE-5900790.html

Well that is the real estate agents conundrum, but they work on commission. The incentive is to sell for whatever. You have the incentive backwards. (Freakonomics?)

Not really if he has very little outgoings and if he is retired you don't need to sell that many boats a year to survive if the commission for each sale is 6% Edited by Northernboater

Would you mind telling us about your family?

An example. I know we bought our boat with the expectation of regular family holidays. We didn't think through that our sons were just coming to an age that they would not be doing that, so in fact we used it twice that way

Richard

\

Edited by Edward Mendelson

Please the genuine people on this site are not interested in your family life, so please remove it as it will only take your thread in the wrong direction. Keep your personal life off here and just ask sensible questions that you have thought about before posting. I would remove the family history details quickly.

Edited by Northernboater

Not really if he has very little outgoings and if he is retired you don't need to sell that many boats a year to survive if the commission for each sale is 6%

Commission is 2% and you don't understand the economics of brokerage if you think that. The additional work in holding out on a sale does not balance with the incentive to sell for the commission. It's been studied at great length. Google "freakonomics real estate agent".

Commission is 2% and you don't understand the economics of brokerage if you think that. The additional work in holding out on a sale does not balance with the incentive to sell for the commission. It's been studied at great length. Google "freakonomics real estate agent".

I know far more then you and most people on this site about boat brokerage and most brokers charge 4-6%, it obviously depends on price though. 2% on boats over £150k or 4% first £50k the 2% thereafter?? It all depends.

Edited by Northernboater

This.....or something very simiarl. http://www.houseboatsandbarges.com/belgium-spits.html 10m cut and shut to reduce in length to get in the lock at Limehouse then a "bit of a refit" and put it onto my mooring.. I would then airBnB my current WB out in London and find magical ways to circumvent CRT enforcement (ps this last sentence is a joke)

At 86 years old she's no youngster.

Is it my maths, your maths or are we looking at different boats? The one to which Rachel provided a link was built, according to the specsheet, in 1905, so 111 years ago.

I doubt whether the superstructure is anything like as old as that though - it looks modern. I do like the style, which is halfway between Dutch barge and motor cruiser.

Please the genuine people on this site are not interested in your family life, so please remove it as it will only take your thread in the wrong direction. Keep your personal life off here and just ask sensible questions that you have thought about before posting. I would remove the family history details quickly.

RLWP asked about my family situation, so I suppose I was dumb enough to answer in a public forum.

I know you have your heart set on a large boat and to be able to move it however I also had those ideas when I bought mine. The reality for me as a consultant is that I am also exceptionally busy and there is no real time for the type of travelling you are thinking of. That is unless your role gives you lots of time between whatever it is you are working on OR complete flexibility of location to work from (bear in mind canal wifi/3g isn't always practical to boat work).

The boat has become my almost permanent home (albeit I have a small land base somewhere else too) hence why Id be going for the biggest I can get on my mooring (29.5m x5.05m) as the reality for me is that I will not get to cruise it. I did enjoy the Olympic tour this year and if it happened again Id grab a spot on a neighbours boat.

Edited by widebeamboy

Is it my maths, your maths or are we looking at different boats? The one to which Rachel provided a link was built, according to the specsheet, in 1905, so 111 years ago.

I doubt whether the superstructure is anything like as old as that though - it looks modern. I do like the style, which is halfway between Dutch barge and motor cruiser.

Its a Dutch Tjalk.

I know that Northerners are noted for their bluntness (and I include myself amongst their number) but this is not very welcoming or friendly. Why should Edward not speak about his family? They influence his current boat-searching in a couple of ways, so they are relevant to the thread.

Its a Dutch Tjalk.

Yes, so the sales blurb said, I think. But the superstructure is not typical of an original 1900s tjalk, hence my feeling that it has been added or rebuilt fairly recently.