Asbestos removal

Sir Percy

Featured Posts

There's a grey board fixed to the wall behind where the stove used to be. I haven't been able to find out what it is for definite from the previous owner, so there's the possibility that it might be asbestos. It would take a lab test to determine whether it is or not. Would anyone have any useful experience of removing asbestos from their boat?

Thanks

There's a grey board fixed to the wall behind where the stove used to be. I haven't been able to find out what it is for definite from the previous owner, so there's the possibility that it might be asbestos. It would take a lab test to determine whether it is or not. Would anyone have any useful experience of removing asbestos from their boat?

Thanks

It is UNLIKELY to be asbestos, more likely to be masterboard or similar.

I agree that it is unlikely to be asbestos. How old is the boat, for god's sake?

I suggest that for a householder or a boatowner, removing a small amount of asbestos, using sensible protective gloves and a good breathing mask, and proceeding carefully, avoiding smashing it up or sawing it, there is little risk. Most of these carcinogenic materials present a significant risk only for someone who does it regularly (like a demolition man) without protection.

What Murflynn says is right, as far as it goes, but only a single fibre of asbestos is needed to cause disease and it could be the one that gets through the mask - hence the extreme (and well justified) caution. Many industrial diseases are dose-related but asbestosis is not.

Having said that, I think it's very unlikely to be asbestos in this marine application. .

• Greenie 1

It depends on the age of the boat. If built before 2000 assume it is. That is the cut off date for buildings. A coat of paint will seal one surface. Wear a mask double bag and dispose of at a licences household waste site. You may need a permit to do so.

When I worked for BT they had a major asbestos removal problem for old main frames in telephone exchanges.

They developed a method of spraying the frame and the 1000's of wires connected to it with dilute PVA adhesive.

This trapped any loose fibres, allowing the wires to be cut and the old frame removed.

Might be worth painting your fibreboard with PVA before you start removing it.

However in my limited experience of asbestos board, it is usually white/cream not grey, so you probably have masterboard.

Edited for tryping.

Edited by cuthound

Sir Percy

it's not just the disposal that is a problem but removing it that is likely to cause the problems. Asbestos is dangerous and needs to be treated with respect.

Very true.

You should not cut or drill asbestos board, as this will release this he dangerous fibres into the atmosphere.

Edited for spillung.

Edited by cuthound

Sir Percy

it's not just the disposal that is a problem but removing it that is likely to cause the problems. Asbestos is dangerous and needs to be treated with respect.

Yes disturbing it in the first place is daft. Introduces a whole new level of health risk.

A different and better approach is to encapsulate it. Cover it with something and seal around the edges. And put a label on saying what's been done. This is a recommended method on the govt website about dealing with asbestos.

Yes disturbing it in the first place is daft. Introduces a whole new level of health risk.

A different and better approach is to encapsulate it. Cover it with something and seal around the edges. And put a label on saying what's been done. This is a recommended method on the govt website about dealing with asbestos.

... if it is actually asbestos. Otherwise, get rid of it.

If this were my boat and I wanted rid of it I would definitely try the PVA spray thing and then when dry do any work with it very well wetted. I would not attempt to drill, cut or break the board.

On the odd occasion I encounter asbestos seals in boilers I wet them with WD40 to trap loose fibres.

Yes but how would the OP know without the risk created by chopping lumps off it to test?

For simplicity my view is just encapsulate it, whatever it is.

Not sure how the test kits work, Mike, but I imagine the procedure is as safe as it can be made. Perhaps a tiny scratch, rather than a great big lump?

But I don't think we are radically in dispute here.

Hello again,

Thank you for your comments - yes, I do appreciate the dangers of disturbing it in the removal. The floor panels are going to be coming up, in a top-to-bottom refit, so there is the risk of the board being disturbed / damaged in the process.

The test kit that I've just had a look at seems to consist of safety equipment, tools (not specified, but not a hammer, you'd hope) and a bag for a lab test.

perhaps we should put the matter into proper perspective:

NHS advice:

Asbestosis is a chronic (long-term) lung condition caused by prolonged exposure to asbestos.

Asbestos is a general term for a group of minerals made of microscopic fibres. In the past, it was widely used in construction.

Asbestos can be very dangerous. It does not present a health risk if it is undisturbed, but if material containing asbestos is chipped, drilled, broken or allowed to deteriorate, it can release a fine dust that contains asbestos fibres.

When the dust is breathed in, the asbestos fibres enter the lungs and can gradually damage them over time. For asbestosis to develop, prolonged exposure to relatively high numbers of the fibres is necessary. However, it is not the only factor, as many people avoid getting asbestosis, despite heavy exposure.

Edited by Murflynn

I've just ordered one of the post-in lab kits (for about £25), for a similar reason: a 1987 boat, with the paloma attached to a fireboard (white, in this case). The problem being that the paloma is knackered, and attempts at repair haven't been hugely successful. Anyway, I was surprised to find that the sample required is actually an inch square piece. In my case, this means that taking a sample is likely to pose a higher contamination risk than just removing the thing would, so I think I'll have to take it off (FFP3 mask, plastic sheeting on carpet, much wetting down, etc., etc...), then cut off a piece once it's off the boat, to work out how I need to dispose of it. So to the OP: don't go ordering a test kit assuming that you'll just need to scratch a tiny piece off - maybe the amounts vary between labs, but it's worth checking first.