Removing pump out toilet and septic tank

Kate89

Featured Posts

Hi guys, so we've started gutting our recently purchased boat in order to start renovations. It has a pump out toilet with septic tank which to our horror has a corroded patch on top of it so it's actually got a hole in it!! This isn't a problem as such for us as we'd planned to get rid anyway and get either a cassette or compost loo, but to be honest we don't want anything to do with this septic tank, we just want to pay someone to get rid of it! I've rang the nearest boat yard but they said they don't deal with septic tanks. Does anyone in the Hertfordshire area know anywhere that would do it? The boat is currently moored near Stansted Abbotts marina.

Apologies for my ignorance, may I ask what the correct term is for such a tank then?

Well it certainly held septic contents at some time or other, but they are generally known as holding or waste tanks on boats. Septic tank is a more commonly used term for household waste storage in areas where mains drainage is not locally available.

Well it certainly held septic contents at some time or other, but they are generally known as holding or waste tanks on boats. Septic tank is a more commonly used term for household waste storage in areas where mains drainage is not locally available.

Kate89,

Or Black water tank.

As has been said septic tanks are domestic houses, they also to an extent get rid of some of the liquid and do a poor job of breaking down the stuff.

Try the yards again and talk about a loo tank/black water tank etc, suspect that will bring a change in the response. It is not a nice job and I suspect will be expensive. smile.png

I hate portaloos smile.png

Edited by Geo

Thanks everyone.

Called the same marina again with the correct terminology and they laughed and said they knew what I was talking about, but whatever the correct name is it still contains poo so they won't touch it!

They said they don't know of anywhere that will do it, as most yards are of the same persuasion when it comes to other peoples excrement.

Very concerned that this may mean we're going to have to attempt removing a steel poo tank ourselves blink.png

Get in there , get some gloves on . Save a fortune , treat yourself or the boat with the savings .

How you find somewhere to get rid of the old tank i wouldn t have a clue but maybe others can suggest .

Look on it as your first major challenge with your new boat . If i ever get around to it i need to take mine out too , but mines plastic and i can just leave it for now .

Set aside a whole day and crack on !!

Edited by chubby

Thanks everyone.

Called the same marina again with the correct terminology and they laughed and said they knew what I was talking about, but whatever the correct name is it still contains poo so they won't touch it!

They said they don't know of anywhere that will do it, as most yards are of the same persuasion when it comes to other peoples excrement.

Very concerned that this may mean we're going to have to attempt removing a steel poo tank ourselves blink.png

It is not a nice job, and it is a heavy job. But that is one of the problems when one decides to refurbish a boat. Funny thing is if a yard was doing the refurb they would happily take the tank out :) Bad with the good sort of thing.

Then you will find out why no one else would 'touch it'.

help.gif

The other option is we just have it capped off and keep the tank, but it takes up so much space and encroaches on where we want to put the kitchen counters. Space is precious and it pains me to have it wasted on an empty poo tank.

Get in there , get some gloves on . Save a fortune , treat yourself or the boat with the savings .

How you find somewhere to get rid of the old tank i wouldn t have a clue but maybe others can suggest .

Look on it as your first major challenge with your new boat . If i ever get around to it i need to take mine out too , but mines plastic and i can just leave it for now .

As its steel do you think a scrap person would take it??

I'm very jealous of your plastic tank right now!

I think a day is not going to be enough, I would say two, prepare, remove all fixings, block all holes out of which could come the remains. Clear the way out of the boat, remove all soft furnishing that can be removed. Day two move it out to a van or something and transport to the local dump, you will be charged for dumping and just describe it as an old water type tank :)

I do not know how far you are stripping this boat back, but if you are removing partitions etc I would leave the tank until they are removed.

I suspect the scrap yard will say no, they like clean scrap :)

Before making any decision - measure the tank (and add a bit to allow for angles), then measure the door - the boat may have been built around the tank.

If it is 'close' then mock up a big cardboard box - you don't want to get the tank 'out' and have it lying around in the boat because it wont go out of the door.

Cutting up a tank 'inside the boat' is not ideal (splatter and spray)

Are you sure the tank is a 'free standing item - some of them use the base / side of the boat as part of the tank.

Do lots of investigation.

I think a day is not going to be enough, I would say two, prepare, remove all fixings, block all holes out of which could come the remains. Clear the way out of the boat, remove all soft furnishing that can be removed. Day two move it out to a van or something and transport to the local dump, you will be charged for dumping and just describe it as an old water type tank smile.png

I do not know how far you are stripping this boat back, but if you are removing partitions etc I would leave the tank until they are removed.

I suspect the scrap yard will say no, they like clean scrap smile.png

We're completely stripping the boat back, was ripping all the floor up yesterday and stopped when we came to the tank!

I might have to rope the father-in-law into this one (won't tell him exactly what we're doing first though rolleyes.gif )

Before making any decision - measure the tank (and add a bit to allow for angles), then measure the door - the boat may have been built around the tank.

If it is 'close' then mock up a big cardboard box - you don't want to get the tank 'out' and have it lying around in the boat because it wont go out of the door.

Cutting up a tank 'inside the boat' is not ideal (splatter and spray)

Are you sure the tank is a 'free standing item - some of them use the base / side of the boat as part of the tank.

Do lots of investigation.

We're going to investigate tomorrow, that was may concern that it may be welded to the baseplate or side

I believe,some years ago,Martin,ex Doghouse, had a Pump Out removed,including the tank. Cost a few bob. But there are those that will take on such a job.

Sometimes the tank is integral to the hull, meaning it's welded in. Some are just placed on the hull.

I'm not too good with terminology.

We're completely stripping the boat back, was ripping all the floor up yesterday and stopped when we came to the tank!

I might have to rope the father-in-law into this one (won't tell him exactly what we're doing first though rolleyes.gif )

We're going to investigate tomorrow, that was may concern that it may be welded to the baseplate or side

Poor father in law being twist round Kate's finger smile.png

If it is weld to the base plate and the base plate is the bottom of the tank, that could be a big can of worms. I think I would want it out of there so I could check the base plate and do any work required to it. You could use an angle grinder to cut it away, butt take care NOT to cut into the base plate, cover the walls, ceiling and floor with plastic sheet if there is any sign of the tank not being perfectly dry, there is always somewhere it is still wet. Wear full coveralls google and glove. Better still see if one of your friends is a grinder expert and smile the big smile smile.png

Edited by Geo

Apologies for my ignorance, may I ask what the correct term is for such a tank then?

Sorry for the brief message - I was on the phone.

Yours is a holding tank, and is designed only to hold the waste until it is pumped out. A domestic septic tank is part of a system which is designed to treat waste water for properties not on mains drainage. The septic tank holds the waste water while the waste is broken down by bacteria, and the system is designed so that the treated water overflows into a drainage soakaway - something you definitely don't want in a boat!

I seem to remember Capt Ahab, of this parish, blogged about doing this job a while back. Linky to his blog:

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/

You will have to search for the appropriate posts.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

ETA Or perhaps you could seek his advice via a pm?

Edited by Victor Vectis

As has been said septic tanks are domestic houses, they also to an extent get rid of some of the liquid and do a poor job of breaking down the stuff.

septic tanks (if treated properly) can do a very good job of breaking things down.

the trick is to not use large amounts of chemicals that kill bacteria.

A neighbour constantly uses every type of cleaner known to man and has to get his tank pumped out at least once per year, we use only the basics when needed and have not yet had to have the tank pumped out in over 5 years despite having the same size tank as our neighbour and there being twice as many people in this house.

Umm -

It's a holding tank and if the only apparent poor condition is the corrosion on the top - as Kate stated, then is it possible to get the boat to a pumpout machine (or vice versa) ?

If so pump and flush several times - that should clear most of any unpleasantness.

If the hole in the top is large enough, could you get the 'head' into the tank -or with a length of flexible pipe grafted on to it. That would remove the resut of the crud.

Then it's a matter of kitting up with long rubber gloves, oilskins and a facemask and cut the steel with an angle grinder.

Unpleasant - but job done.

Perhaps it's because I'm used to clearing out cow and horse poo as well as my own domestic holding tank that it really is not much more than unpleasant.

The first time is the worst.....

Umm -

It's a holding tank and if the only apparent poor condition is the corrosion on the top - as Kate stated, then is it possible to get the boat to a pumpout machine (or vice versa) ?

If so pump and flush several times - that should clear most of any unpleasantness.

If the hole in the top is large enough, could you get the 'head' into the tank -or with a length of flexible pipe grafted on to it. That would remove the resut of the crud.

Then it's a matter of kitting up with long rubber gloves, oilskins and a facemask and cut the steel with an angle grinder.

Unpleasant - but job done.

Perhaps it's because I'm used to clearing out cow and horse poo as well as my own domestic holding tank that it really is not much more than unpleasant.

The first time is the worst.....

I'm a vet so I'm no stranger to animal poo... but I can't say I'm too happy about having to deal with human poo!! That will be a new experience!!

I would pump it out then through the inspection hatch or cut a hole in the top, give it a good blast with a jet washer and pump it out again.

It needs to be empty when you move it as water is heavy, and will all run down one end when trying to get it out of the boat causing whoever is at the heavy end to drop it.

Unfortunately a pump out is not cheap, but if you can do it at a boat yard they may give you a special price.

If you really don't like the smell a painters mask with a carbon filter does work, though make sure it is a tight fit or it will leak in smelly air.

Something like - http://www.screwfix.com/p/draeger-painters-agricultural-half-mask-with-filters-p3/73127

I would pump it out then through the inspection hatch or cut a hole in the top, give it a good blast with a jet washer and pump it out again.

It needs to be empty when you move it as water is heavy, and will all run down one end when trying to get it out of the boat causing whoever is at the heavy end to drop it.

Unfortunately a pump out is not cheap, but if you can do it at a boat yard they may give you a special price.

If you really don't like the smell a painters mask with a carbon filter does work, though make sure it is a tight fit or it will leak in smelly air.

Something like - http://www.screwfix.com/p/draeger-painters-agricultural-half-mask-with-filters-p3/73127

oops - I meant a portable pump out (or moving the boat to a yard with a fixed variety) - not to buy one.

Alternatively - if there's not too much muck in the tank and the boat's on hard standing - then syphon it out....

The paint mask seems like a v.good idea!