Looking for info on living abroad in Europe

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking my boat over to Europe in a year or two and am looking for any useful sources of info. I'll have the boat taken over by lorry so don't need to worry about crossing the channel and would plan to live aboard in Europe for a few years.

Have a look at the DBA site - there are dozens of people doing exactly that, and the site should answer all the queries you have and a lot you've not thought of yet; http://www.barges.org

Excellent idea, if it wasn't for the sea crossing then Brit canal users would see the European mainland as a natural extension of their cruising ground. One day maybe someone will form a dedicated service to take boats over the channel and back. I spent a lot of this summer trying to think of a cheap and easy way to do it.

Remember, Britain did not sign up to the Shengen Treaty, so better check that out, need a Shengen visa maybe.

Phil

At the moment as long as you have "sufficient means" and medical insurance you can stay as long as you like.

When we leave unless Mrs May negotiates something better the normal is no more than 3 months (no return within 3 months) in the whole of the Shengen area, longer visas can be had in one or two countries but are expensive and difficult.

At the moment as long as you have "sufficient means" and medical insurance you can stay as long as you like.

When we leave unless Mrs May negotiates something better the normal is no more than 3 months (no return within 3 months) in the whole of the Shengen area, longer visas can be had in one or two countries but are expensive and difficult.

But we won the war! How can they impose conditions on how long we get to stay in their countries? wacko.png

MP.

I takes very few post on this forum to change an innocent question on boating in europe to a whinge from frustrated remainers on the subject of Brexit.

Well, the one will probably impinge upon the other. The terms of Brexit will be likely to affect British people's movements and sojourns in EU countries. For example, though Phoenix makes his position clear, his advice is sound.

Excellent idea, if it wasn't for the sea crossing then Brit canal users would see the European mainland as a natural extension of their cruising ground. One day maybe someone will form a dedicated service to take boats over the channel and back. I spent a lot of this summer trying to think of a cheap and easy way to do it.

My boat insurance covers me for many of the 'European Inland Waterways'

This is a map of my coverage.

post-11859-0-74122300-1479031310_thumb.png

Keep to a boat less than 15m long. That's probably all you need to know.

I'm sure that Meggers would like to know why. I suspect that it's to do with licensing, insurance and the type of driving test you have to take before cruising it on France's waterways. Perhaps you could elaborate?

For vessels between 15 and 24 metres there are licensing requirements. Google CEVNI and ICC. Vessels over 24 metres come into other categories of licensing. There are certainly things to consider if you are planning on cruising some of the major commercial rivers such as the Rhine as well.The Dutch Barge Association is a treasure trove of information for someone planning on going over the channel.

I takes very few post on this forum to change an innocent question on boating in europe to a whinge from frustrated remainers on the subject of Brexit.

Unfortunately it's happening across a number of forums at the moment. As soon as any body mentions anything to do with Europe whether it be boating, caravanning, using mobile phones abroad, currency etc etc etc....someone always manages to drag in the 'B' subject.

And it's frankly very tiresome.......

What about ######

smile.png

I suspect this was aimed at another thread Laurie but you missed by a mile...

Edited to add: But to answer your question within the context of this thread...I believe it has now been stuffed so will no longer need a pet passport.

Unfortunately it's happening across a number of forums at the moment. As soon as any body mentions anything to do with Europe whether it be boating, caravanning, using mobile phones abroad, currency etc etc etc....someone always manages to drag in the 'B' subject.

Now if we has a sub-forum where a moderator could pick up the post and drop it somewhere more appropriate...

Edited by DHutch
Comment removed from quoted post.

Not so easy when you are taking your own boat and its over 15mts (48 feet)

No, your 48-foot boat will be fine. 15 metres is about 49 feet, so yours is comfortably under the limit.

And it's frankly very tiresome.......

Isn't it simply because such aspects of life may well be affected by Brexit, and because people are taking a keen interest in developments?

Isn't it simply because such aspects of life may well be affected by Brexit, and because people are taking a keen interest in developments?

Yes but the problem is as soon as its touched on a whole very interesting thread gets derailed because topics not remotely relevant start being discussed. And we already have a thread running for the ruddy 'B' word.

For vessels between 15 and 24 metres there are licensing requirements. Google CEVNI and ICC. Vessels over 24 metres come into other categories of licensing. There are certainly things to consider if you are planning on cruising some of the major commercial rivers such as the Rhine as well.The Dutch Barge Association is a treasure trove of information for someone planning on going over the channel.

German waterways are not open to you if your boat is over 15m and French, Belgian and Netherlands waterways authorities are all tightening up on the imposition of the regulations whereas they used to turn a blind eye on narrowboats. The TRIWV regs in particular are to be more rigorously enforced with 2018 being quoted as the year that all boats over 20m using mainland Europe waterways have to comply. These are very difficult for a narrowboat although it is apparently possible with a 'reduced' certificate. I think we will have returned before this.

Edited by wandering snail

Yes but the problem is as soon as its touched on a whole very interesting thread gets derailed because topics not remotely relevant start being discussed. And we already have a thread running for the ruddy 'B' word.

Brexit and its implications directly affects all answers to the OP's question. Burying one's head in the sand won't make these issues go away. Post #8 says it all. If you're planning a trip to Europe with your boat in two and a half years' time you will only be able to stay for three months.

How is that 'derailing the thread'?

The main concern for those with boats over there already is that, like current boats visiting from outside the EU, after six months they become liable for VAT on the value of the boat with boat seizure until paid the likely and immediate action.

That is not trivial but I will wager anything you like that such a minority interest will get lost in the noise over Brexit negotiation. The rapaciousness of many European customs is legendary (try going to France with red diesel in your tanks) and if it isn't spelt out they will seize the opportunity to make money from boaters.

Edited by hounddog

The main concern for those with boats over there already is that, like current boats visiting from outside the EU, after six months they become liable for VAT on the value of the boat with boat seizure until paid the likely and immediate action.

"VAT paid" status is rigorously enforced 'on the continent' and visitors are frequently asked to show the proof of 'VAT Paid' in the EU.

However, it should not be a problem for the majority of UK boats as they will have been VAT paid and there should be a 'Certificate' of VAT in the 'ships papers'.

If there is not then you can apply to HMRCE for a "T2L" form and providing you can provide evidence, they will issue a 'VAT Paid' certificate (T2L) retrospectively.

When we bough our yacht in Croatia, the owner could not find the VAT Paid certificate so had to go to the Croatian Customs, who issued the "T2L"

See below :

Lagoon 380 T2L.pdf

He subsequently found the original so now we have both documents.