Stolen Boat

Mutts

Featured Posts

They were metaphorical clinkers Mike - not everyone gets those!

I knew that really. It was an idle attempt to derail the thread before it turned into a witch hunt!

(I definitely get metaphorical clinkers though. I should probably see a doctor about it...)

I don't think Chris and Graham are "forum people" and seldom, if ever read this forum. yes, there are folks out there who don't :-)

I agree, that's why I wrote:

"It's up to them whether they contribute to the forum or not, but all this 'legal reasons' stuff is rather silly in my view."

The second part of that sentence is my point. Although I am left wondering whether Taybrite does produce clinkers. ;)

In my experience both produce a lot of ash. But no clinkers.

What do members here actually mean by 'clinkers'? I never get them in any of my stoves. I associate clinkers with burning coke rather than smoekless fuel.

I've had lumps of ash a bit like lava with one fuel in the past, and that's what I think of as clinkers. It may or may not have been Taybrite though! However, I do actually use XL and particularly because I get very little ash.

If whatever happened has lead to a crown court hearing it could be months before they can talk

As I recall there was enough speculation and negativity interspersed with the good stuff to maybe put them off further engagement.

From personal experience I can say that it is amazing how even the most innocent of comments online can be twisted to the advantage of someone accused of a crime. I hope that their silence is because police have told them to say and do nothing. I just hope they are happy to have their pride and joy back again.

I agree, that's why I wrote:

"It's up to them whether they contribute to the forum or not, but all this 'legal reasons' stuff is rather silly in my view."

The second part of that sentence is my point. Although I am left wondering whether Taybrite does produce clinkers. wink.png

If they have been instructed not to talk about "the case", possibly due to prejudicing it, then it is not silly. That is the way the Law works.

Actually i couldn't give a stuff about whether the like XL or Taybrite, there is no requirement or compulsion for people to join in on a daily basis just because they joined the forum.

What i would like to see from them, or somebody else is a statement along the lines of...

" at this time no arrests have been made in connection with the theft of this narrowboat but enquiries are ongoing"

Or

"A 54 year old female/male has been arrested by police in connection with the theft of this narrowboat and has now been released on bail".

Both of those, and words to that effect are statements you see every day up and down the country in the immediate period after crimes have been committed. They do nothing to harm any kind of legal process, and i assume are worded carefully for that reason.

For example, immediately after the Croydon tram crash the other day we were told that the 48 year old driver had been arrested by BTP and was helping them with their enquiries.

I fail to see why Chris & Graham can't do either of the above.

• Greenie 2

Actually i couldn't give a stuff about whether the like XL or Taybrite, there is no requirement or compulsion for people to join in on a daily basis just because they joined the forum.

What i would like to see from them, or somebody else is a statement along the lines of...

" at this time no arrests have been made in connection with the theft of this narrowboat but enquiries are ongoing"

Or

"A 54 year old female/male has been arrested by police in connection with the theft of this narrowboat and has now been released on bail".

Both of those, and words to that effect are statements you see every day up and down the country in the immediate period after crimes have been committed. They do nothing to harm any kind of legal process, and i assume are worded carefully for that reason.

For example, immediately after the Croydon tram crash the other day we were told that the 48 year old driver had been arrested by BTP and was helping them with their enquiries.

Possibly because until the police release the information no one else is permitted to.

Or

On a vaguely related note are you going to let the forum know how your hire trip in September went? It would be nice to know.

JP

• Greenie 1

Perhaps after their traumatic experiences when the boat was nicked they don't feel like coming on here and chatting about any 'boaty' issues. They may even have decided to sell their boat or perhaps even given up boating altogether.

Or their computer may be broken, or the finger(s) they use to tap on the keyboard hurt.

Of course it would be much too difficult to inform the forum about such a situation.

Peter.

Going by the posts they made while the search was on they were extremely grateful for the help give. We have been told by Yank on the cut that they have been asked not to say anything about the situation as has he.

Surely what is needed now is a little patience on the part of those in the forum who are desperate for news. Eventually we will know one way or the other.

Or is may be because whoever stole the boat was a reader of this forum and learned where searches were being carried out, what the identifying features were etc on here. IF that was the case (I seem to remember there were suspicions on that front) I can understand why the Police may have told the couple not to say anything on here. Also, if that was the case I think I might understand the couples reluctance to say anything anyway.

Just a thought.

I must admit to feeling a bit uneasy about some folks views that we are owed an explanation. While it would be nice to know what happened, especially if like us you have a boat moored in that area, we may have to accept that one is not forthcoming. At least not yet.

haggis

• Greenie 2

With all due respect

I wasn't having a niggle. Just asking the question of, has there been any updates recently?

Personally (in my opinion of course), I think it's turning into a bit of a poor show from Chris or Graham, that they (as far as I know) have not had or been in any contact with the forum that spent so much time and effort helping them out.

Perhaps Yank has heard from them?

i think yank on the cut and chris and graham only signed up here to find their boat knowing it had a chance of being found if posted here.

edited to add : they have both been on the forum since yesterday.

Edited by GoodGurl

Can't see why we should expect an update or anything else apart from the satisfaction of knowing that we helped a bit. I didn't bother to update the forum with the state of my gearbox after getting helpful replies to my query, but I will if you like.

i)But did we help?.................. We don't know.

ii) Thank goodness

iii) No thanks

As it was stated before that the boat (while missing from it's owners) moved in response to comments on here, through places already searched particularly. It's likely that the resident of the boat during that period was familiar with this forum, so any comments posted now by anyone who knows (rather than guesses) is likely to prejudice the legal proceedings if any.

Probably the owners of the boat are among the about 50% of the forum's members who post very little.

As it was stated before that the boat (while missing from it's owners) moved in response to comments on here, through places already searched particularly. It's likely that the resident of the boat during that period was familiar with this forum, so any comments posted now by anyone who knows (rather than guesses) is likely to prejudice the legal proceedings if any.

Probably the owners of the boat are among the about 50% of the forum's members who post very little.

By the looks of it, the owners have been posting a lot less than very little, after their boat was found.

Peter.

Hello peeps

I am reading this blog with great interest...

I have located a boat which I would very much like to buy, but the owner is very much of the old school of canal boating and sees no need for any documentation, proof of ownership etc, etc and to be frankly honest I am worried about parting with any cash... I really REALLY want this boat and am moving heaven and water to to secure it... I have shifted nearly all the obstacles and jumped most of the hurdles, but cannot get over this worried feeling.. And reading your blog about a missing boat makes me think how often does lighting strike..

Best regards

Nookyboat.gif