Stolen Boat

Mutts

Featured Posts

Remember that there is no boat equivalent of the car "log book" There is no one piece of proof of ownership, and no proof that there are no leins or loans secured on the boat. Actually it's better to keep looking for the owners history with the boat -have they anythings going back a long time relating to them, the boat and their cruising?

Well not sure to be honest... Only things I was told... And people tend to tell you only what they want to,,, Difficult!!

When Arthur talks about 'owners history with the boat', look for stuff that verifies he hasn't popped up out of nowhere with this boat for sale.

First of all ask where he got it from, and when. Then look at where is is moored. Go and have a chat with the moorings manager, off the record, and ask how long he has been a customer and moored the boat there, for example. If he goes back years with that mooring then it's probably knosher even if the boat changed. Ask the manager if you can carry on mooring it there perhaps. And how long it has been for sale. People will tell you stuff spontaneously once you get chatting.

Next, try to get to visit him at his home address. Maybe to pay a deposit! Then when you find out where it is, call CRT and ask them to confirm the name and address is their currently registered licence holder for that boat. They WILL confirm if YOU tell them the correct information in my experience. Or even just ask to see some correspondence from CRT naming both him and the boat. All legitimate owners will have reams of this!

If the chap is a liveaboard CCer then it all gets more difficult. Where is he planning to live when he sells it to you? Have a chat about this and see if it all hangs together.

.....are you really that 1% Mikey??

Been at the cooking sherry again I see Matty!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

An album of faded prints clearly showing the vendor and the boat proves that there is history connecting them, which may say more than most other things that he has the right to sell the boat. Oh! there are things like a bill of sale for his purchase of the boat, mooring payments, service invoices,

The more things that are missing, the more problems you could have later.

Oh! there are things like a bill of sale for his purchase of the boat, mooring payments, service invoices,

The more things that are missing, the more problems you could have later.

I think mooring payments in particular are the hardest to fake. Even if he has no receipts, a trip to the boatyard and a chat with the moorings manager there will confirm or contradict whatever you've been told. Never cast iron proof but if they confirm the seller's name and that he has been a customer for 'x' years then the boat is almost certainly his to sell at least.

Divorce disputes aside!

Dratted bad form and all that ... wot wot?

I think it's time admin posted a sticky advising ......

Don't come on here moaning about your life effecting issues, worries and problems ..... expecting us to solve your problems and inconvenience ourselves in your hour of need, unless: -

* You're prepared to jump for our general entertainment afterwards

* We see copious amounts of meaningless posts from you as payment: -

You could at least talk meaninglessly about Coal or Toilets

Honestly it's beginning to resemble Waitrose on here since they started giving free coffee and emptied Asda.

Whatever next?

• Greenie 3

Dratted bad form and all that ... wot wot?

I think it's time admin posted a sticky advising ......

Don't come on here moaning about your life effecting issues, worries and problems ..... expecting us to solve your problems and inconvenience ourselves in your hour of need, unless: -

* You're prepared to jump for our general entertainment afterwards

* We see copious amounts of meaningless posts from you as payment: -

You could at least talk meaninglessly about Coal or Toilets

Honestly it's beginning to resemble Waitrose on here since they started giving free coffee and emptied Asda.

Whatever next?

Yes, that's at least an interesting subject that we haven't talked about much lately.

Maybe because by now everybody has installed trouble free compost loos.

Peter.

Hello peeps

I am reading this blog with great interest...

I have located a boat which I would very much like to buy, but the owner is very much of the old school of canal boating and sees no need for any documentation, proof of ownership etc, etc and to be frankly honest I am worried about parting with any cash... I really REALLY want this boat and am moving heaven and water to to secure it... I have shifted nearly all the obstacles and jumped most of the hurdles, but cannot get over this worried feeling.. And reading your blog about a missing boat makes me think how often does lighting strike..

Best regards

Nookyboat.gif

All I got for mine when I bought it was an undated receipt for the cheque, with an illegible name and address scribbled on it. As no-one's come to take it off me for the last thirty years, I reckon I'm OK. In the end (if a private sale), it comes down to whether you trust them.

All I got for mine when I bought it was an undated receipt for the cheque, with an illegible name and address scribbled on it. As no-one's come to take it off me for the last thirty years, I reckon I'm OK. In the end (if a private sale), it comes down to whether you trust them.

When I bought mine, I asked for copies of photo id and utility bill for proof of address. Doesn't guarantee anything but an honest seller shouldn't refuse.