Oozells loop - Pubs?

linnit

Featured Posts

I wasnt a fan of the Fiddle either, a souless place, shame.

The place I do like more each time I go is the cafe/bar on gas street. Good sadlers beer and decent food at a low price. It's not a pub but a very good alternative.

The Flapper had 3 excellent beers earlier this week, all at strong end of 4%!

Edit to add: not a fan of the malt house either. Will no longer do pubs that have 'managers' and the welcoming blackboard.

(The Fountain, Tipton, there's a proper pub, will be having a few in there tomorrow afternoon)

Edited by Goliath

(The Fountain, Tipton, there's a proper pub, will be having a few in there tomorrow afternoon)

The Fiddle appeared to me to be someone with no pub experience playing at having a pub and running it entirely to their own satisfaction.

The Fountain, on the other hand, appears to understand it's place in the market and in the community and fair nails it.

The Fiddle appeared to me to be someone with no pub experience playing at having a pub and running it entirely to their own satisfaction.

The Fountain, on the other hand, appears to understand it's place in the market and in the community and fair nails it.

The Fountain will be under new management in the new year. In the meantime they have stopped doing food.

:)

The Canalside (nee Cafe)

The place I do like more each time I go is the cafe/bar on gas street. Good sadlers beer and decent food at a low price. It's not a pub but a very good alternative.

I agree, "The Canalside" (nee Cafe) is a great location, good choice of ale and cider and wholesome food. It is thriving and evolving and should rename itself The Worcester Bar.

Edited by nikvah

The Fountain will be under new management in the new year. In the meantime they have stopped doing food.

Oh! There's a potential shame. I hope the change of hands works out ok.

There were 3 old boys sitting in the corner singing harmony when we were in there having lunch early one afternoon. Far from being pished blokes entertaining themselves at everyone else's expense, they were terrific!

The Canalside (nee Cafe)

I agree, "The Canalside" (nee Cafe) is a great location, good choice of ale and cider and wholesome food. It is thriving and evolving and should rename itself The Worcester Bar.

That would cause enormous confusion to the average landlubber. I must confess I much preferred the Canalside Cafe before they did it up. I wouldn't eat there either now, since their hygiene rating dropped to zero. They expanded their bar into the former kitchen and now use an unsuitable kitchen upstairs for cooking.

My favourite drinking holes in the city centre and just beyond include:

The Craven Arms,

The Wellington,

The Old Joint Stock,

The Post Office Vaults,

The Victoria,

The Old Contemptibles,

The Shakespeare,

Bar Du Vin,

The Jekyll and Hyde,

The Woodman,

The Lamp,

The Gunmakers,

The Pig & Tail,

Tilt (hard to find but well worth it)

The Queens Arms,

Bacchus,

The Lord Clifden.

All far better than the Fiddle & Bone.

That would cause enormous confusion to the average landlubber. I must confess I much preferred the Canalside Cafe before they did it up. I wouldn't eat there either now, since their hygiene rating dropped to zero. They expanded their bar into the former kitchen and now use an unsuitable kitchen upstairs for cooking.

The Craven Arms,

The Wellington,

The Old Joint Stock,

The Post Office Vaults,

The Victoria,

The Old Contemptibles,

The Shakespeare,

Bar Du Vin,

The Jekyll and Hyde,

The Woodman,

The Lamp,

The Gunmakers,

The Pig & Tail,

The Queens Arms,

Bacchus,

The Lord Clifden.

Well, if the Fiddle & Bone has closed down they will be better.

The Canalside (nee Cafe)

Worth reading about the Cafe :-

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/canalside-cafe-pub-used-out-9798684

The Craven Arms,

The Wellington,

The Old Joint Stock,

The Post Office Vaults,

The Victoria,

The Old Contemptibles,

The Shakespeare,

Bar Du Vin,

The Jekyll and Hyde,

The Woodman,

The Lamp,

The Gunmakers,

The Pig & Tail,

The Queens Arms,

Bacchus,

The Lord Clifden.

I wouldn't have much argument with this list but the absence of the Prince of Wales and the presence of Bacchus strikes me as a little odd.

I went in the big one at the bottom and asked for an ipa. I was told if I wanted ale they only had John smiths or Guinness. Went back to the malt house but only because of the view and fantastic heaters outside and they had real ale.

Another vote against the bottom Wetherspoons on Broad St.

Went in midsummer with the wife. Tables full of empties and swimming with dregs. Definitely a menacing atmosphere. Retired gracefully without ordering. I am a Spoons fan but this was the worst I have been in.

George ex nb Alton retired

I wouldn't have much argument with this list but the absence of the Prince of Wales and the presence of Bacchus strikes me as a little odd.

It's not a definitive list, but the POW only does tiny bags of scratchings, so loses points. Bacchus scores points for its hilariously kitsch interior.

Went in midsummer with the wife. Tables full of empties and swimming with dregs. Definitely a menacing atmosphere. Retired gracefully without ordering. I am a Spoons fan but this was the worst I have been in.

You've never been in the Stourport one then?

I went in the big one at the bottom and asked for an ipa. I was told if I wanted ale they only had John smiths or Guinness. Went back to the malt house but only because of the view and fantastic heaters outside and they had real ale.

Point of order: Broad Street doesn't have a bottom, it's flat. Also, both Wetherspoons there are big. One is branded as a Lloyds Bar and is called the Solomon Cutler. It's the better choice for breakfast as the bar is usually marginally less sticky from the night before. The other is a proper Wetherspoons called the Figure of Eight. I wouldn't willingly drink in either during the evening, or Broad Street generally. I was in O'Neills a couple of night ago. Marginally better than Spoons.

It's not a definitive list, but the POW only does tiny bags of scratchings, so loses points. Bacchus scores points for its hilariously kitsch interior.

You've never been in the Stourport one then?

Alas the powers that be decree that I am rationed on my scratchings anyway (so is the dog).

I agree that you have to see Bacchus, I'm just a bit doubtful that you need to drink there. Mind you, they used to do reasonable food if you could handle the damage to your wallet.

You don't have to go to Stourport - the Square Knot? Square Peg? in Corporation St can have its moments.

Sounds like most of the Wetherspoons I've been in to be honest.

Alas the powers that be decree that I am rationed on my scratchings anyway (so is the dog).

I agree that you have to see Bacchus, I'm just a bit doubtful that you need to drink there. Mind you, they used to do reasonable food if you could handle the damage to your wallet.

You don't have to go to Stourport - the Square Knot? Square Peg? in Corporation St can have its moments.

Oh God! The Square Peg. I think it got a whole chapter to itself in Dantes Inferno.

Edited by Dave_P

Sounds like most of the Wetherspoons I've been in to be honest.

Quite. Never understood the attraction that some people seem to have toward Wetherspoon's pubs. I guess it may have something to do with price.

Also glad Dave_P clarified his inclusion of the Bacchus in his list. A pub that has moulded plastic books in moulded plastic bookcases. I believe I have only been there once this century.

Spent three hours in the Craven Arms yesterday evening. It was my last day working next door in the Mailbox. We are off to the other side of Broad Street next week so I will have to find a new lunchtime escape route to the canal.

JP

Quite. Never understood the attraction that some people seem to have toward Wetherspoon's pubs. I guess it may have something to do with price.

From my point of view, it's more that they're pretty much the only place you can rely on serving a good cider, particularly in the northern Midlands and the North.

JP

The price plus the fact they are safe and predictable.

JP

The price plus the fact they are safe and predictable.

• Greenie 1