Engine left running rant

Jrtm

Featured Posts

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Why do people have the need to run there engines all day at high ish revs.

Boat behind yesterday had engine running from around 12 till i locked up at 5 as i was feeling ill after the day of having my back cabin filled with fumes i couldnt shut the doors due to the work i was doing

I wouldnt have minded but it wasnt the cleanest of running engines.

Arrrrrrrr drives me nuts.

Rant over.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Why do people have the need to run there engines all day at high ish revs.

Boat behind yesterday had engine running from around 12 till i locked up at 5 as i was feeling ill after the day of having my back cabin filled with fumes i couldnt shut the doors due to the work i was doing

I wouldnt have minded but it wasnt the cleanest of running engines.

Arrrrrrrr drives me nuts.

Rant over.

Explain that the fumes are affecting you, and ask him to turn it off. Or move away a bit.

No, I'm serious. When he says that he "locked up", I think he means that he locked the boat's doors, rather than going up a flight of locks. So, why "norty"?

I think Junior was taking the micky and you took even more of junior biggrin.png

Tim

The ones that get my goat are the ones who come and moor up next to you when there's half a mile of clear mooring, point their exhaust at your doors, leave the engine running (filling you with fumes) as they lock up and go for a two hour walk. And the fact that you can move your boat doesn't make it any more irritating.... one lot on the VM at Church Minshull just went and sat at the other end of their boat and lit a barbecue. And then looked at me strangely (admittedly not a rare occurrence) when I upped sticks and moved to the other end of the mooring and tied up again.

I don't think there's any solution to it. If we insisted on cleaner running engines then the vintage engine mob would have a moan. If we have to move the boat away a bit, it kinda illustrates its not possible to actually talk to someone and sort it out. And if we imposed the same rules on boats as cars (not to run engine when stationary for long periods of time) then there would be uproar and problems generating power etc. At least it was an engine, not a genny, which can be much more annoying.

Boats next to each other, running smoky diesel engines, is part of canal life, so it seems.

Maybe the solution is much more provision of electric hookup at visitor mooring spots (the only one I can think of is Llangollen, obviously there's plenty more permanent moorings with hookup) but it has (significant) challenges of its own and there will still be a desire to be independent/moor in isolated places without hookup.

I don't think there's any solution to it. If we insisted on cleaner running engines then the vintage engine mob would have a moan.

Written, I suspect from your terminology, by a man who has a modern engine!

My gripe is boaters with noisy and smelly mini-generators parked on the back deck run late into the evening to operate the TV (they know it is a nuisance because they shut their doors to keep their own noise and smell out - with the TV volume turned up for good measure!

• Greenie 3

The ones that get my goat are the ones who come and moor up next to you when there's half a mile of clear mooring, point their exhaust at your doors, leave the engine running (filling you with fumes) as they lock up and go for a two hour walk. And the fact that you can move your boat doesn't make it any more irritating.... one lot on the VM at Church Minshull just went and sat at the other end of their boat and lit a barbecue. And then looked at me strangely (admittedly not a rare occurrence) when I upped sticks and moved to the other end of the mooring and tied up again.

Jeez, bit nippy out for a bbq innit?

Or heating the hot water for a shower or two.

smile.png

Or running his dialysis machine? You never know!

Edited by Dave_P

Written, I suspect from your terminology, by a man who has a modern engine!

It was written with an eye towards the possible EU legislation (which we're now unlikely to take up) regarding POSSIBLY requiring new build boats in the future to have emissions equipment such as DPF filters, cats, electronic control, etc so that their exhaust emissions are much lower, similar to how cars have evolved in recent times. Its a bit of a myth to think that a diesel engine with no visible smoke is "clean". I suspect if legislation like this were introduced, lots of people would have a moan (not just vintage engine users) but their voices would be the loudest, since they'd wish to retain their engines. Someone with a modern engine probably isn't bothered if it was a Mitsushitaboata ML3-R34X-EU3 or a Mitsushitaboata ML3-R34X-EU6.

It was written with an eye towards the possible EU legislation (which we're now unlikely to take up) regarding POSSIBLY requiring new build boats in the future to have emissions equipment

I'm sure it was - but your use of "mob" and "have a moan" ( rather than, for example, "enthusiasts" and "express concern") were a dead giveaway.

By the same token, you can tell from the tone of my posts that I DO have an old engine (though, compared with some I've seen, a fairly clean-burning one).

I don't think there's any solution to it. If we insisted on cleaner running engines then the vintage engine mob would have a moan. If we have to move the boat away a bit, it kinda illustrates its not possible to actually talk to someone and sort it out. And if we imposed the same rules on boats as cars (not to run engine when stationary for long periods of time) then there would be uproar and problems generating power etc. At least it was an engine, not a genny, which can be much more annoying.

Boats next to each other, running smoky diesel engines, is part of canal life, so it seems.

Maybe the solution is much more provision of electric hookup at visitor mooring spots (the only one I can think of is Llangollen, obviously there's plenty more permanent moorings with hookup) but it has (significant) challenges of its own and there will still be a desire to be independent/moor in isolated places without hookup.

Plenty of CRT visitors moorings have electric hook up around here.

Cromwell Lock, Bardney Lock, Boston to name just a few.