re positioning a wood burning stove with no back burner

tortuga guy

Featured Posts

Hello again everyone, the used 39ft semi trad that i am thinking of buying has the wood burning stove by the bow doors, i am worried that someone or myself may fall on it, BSS recommends it not to be there, is it a very complicated operation ?, is it common to re-position stoves ? , what happens to the hole left in the roof ?, and is it an expensive to have a qualified technician to do it for me ?, sorry for my ignorance, thank you all.

i suppose the most difficult part is making a new hole, does anyone know a good technician for the job , i dont see that in services offered in boat yards anywhere, thanks to all by the way

I cut mine with a jigsaw. The roofs pretty thin steel. Try and get hold of a copy of the "Narrowboat Builders book" which was produced by one of the canal comics a few years ago - it turns up on ebay. It covers everything about fitting out.

i suppose the most difficult part is making a new hole, does anyone know a good technician for the job , i dont see that in services offered in boat yards anywhere, thanks to all by the way

Pop into Stowe Hill when you finally get up this way, we may advise leaving the stove where it is.

it is NOT cheap to move - insulating new area, restoring old area, cutting new hole, welding a plate over old hole, re-siting and securing stove, resealing flue and new collar...not mentioning changes to existing cabin interior etc!!

The majority of narrow boats have their stove by the front doors and they pass BSS every four years with no problems.

I am not sure where else in a 39 foot semi trad boat one would put a stove without mucking up the usable accommodation. I had a 50 footer trad with a lot more room and the bow was the best place for it. Oh in many years of use I never fell onto it or touched it getting in and out.

Edited by Geo

With just 39feet of boat, is this actual boat or cabin length, you can't afford to put the stove just anywhere. Space is At a premium so best keep it in the corner. How you will see any benefit, heat wise, moving it to the middle of the boat is beyond me. Leave it where it is and save yourself a lot of money.

Perhaps phoning a few yards for an approxamite quote will make you decide. The cost might shockyou.

My stove is near the back door. To avoid accidental contact I installed a 30mm vertical steel pole floor to ceiling.

Apart from protection it is surprisingly useful as a grab-rail (of course).

Plus you can always practice your pole dancing skills.

Hello again everyone, the used 39ft semi trad that i am thinking of buying has the wood burning stove by the bow doors, i am worried that someone or myself may fall on it, BSS recommends it not to be there, is it a very complicated operation ?, is it common to re-position stoves ? , what happens to the hole left in the roof ?, and is it an expensive to have a qualified technician to do it for me ?, sorry for my ignorance, thank you all.

When you first move onto a boat it's a good idea to live with everything as it is for a while before making big changes. See how you feel about the stove (and life onboard) after winter.

Edited by blackrose

Halcyon is 36 feet long with the stove at the front door. In the 3 years I've owned her (first boat) I have never so much as touched the flue pipe. I have a handle fitted to the side of the door jam with a piece of rope about 18" long tied to it, this is perfect for holding onto and steadying myself when going in or out.

Kevin

My stove is near the back door. To avoid accidental contact I installed a 30mm vertical steel pole floor to ceiling.

Apart from protection it is surprisingly useful as a grab-rail (of course).

that is the solution i think, thank you mate

thank you all