How do we live?

Retardedrocker

Featured Posts

Thing that attracted me to the water is that I like boats, ones with nice lines and good design. I like classic cars for the same reason.

Other reasons...

Feeling of the Boat cutting threw the water.

Feeling of moving a large object effortlessly. I have the power!

Can change your scenery on a whim, country today, city tomorrow.

Can live in a new place quite easily.

I think you can live frugaly and simply and still have some gadgets. I don't watch TV but I have an automatic washing machine. I like to read but it's a Kindle. I used to have a laptop, phone and camera, now just a phone. Modern simple maybe.

Edited by boathunter

There's simple, and then there's simple - need some battery power in the olden days; do all of the stuff with the large lump of iron that clatters and bangs in the back: now (well apart from winter that is); sit back and feel the solar panels do their stuff. No maintenance, no fuel, no hassle.

Part of the enjoyment I have of living aboard (and cruising again after 5 years on a mooring) is the simplicity of financial interactions - pay your licence and insurance every year, and everything else when you need it; no contracts to tie you into knots.

I am luxuried and techno'd up; but again, it makes things simple - no hunting down the fabled laundrette mentioned in the years-old canal guide, the ability to find out that the last pub in the vale has closed before you make the three-mile hike to it's iron-sheeted front door (and I've done that several times back in the last century), no wondering when someone's going to be along to fix the knackered lock/emptied pound...

But yes, some of the wonderful serendipity of the old life has gone - the right book in the sani station swap pile, the new wonderful landlords in a previously pants (but the only) pub, the back-street garage that has just the right (belt/filter/oil etc) at the right price and is open of a wet and windy evening. Some, of course, still continues with the lovely, lovely people one meets, and the sights and sounds around your travels....

• Greenie 1

I think you made this up. Crystal sets don't need any power!

Yeah, I've just checked it and you're right! Powering it that way was her idea - your observation, the fact that the boy scouts look like 2 blokes out of the Chippendales and the involvement of industrial quantities of baby oil is beginning to make me somewhat suspicious! ;)

Living on dry land it's almost inevitable you end up with more than you need, on a boat there are serious limitations by comparison, in terms of space, fuel/power supply, water etc. So you do tend to look at your way of life and whittle it down to what is really important to you - this is much of the appeal and I think the reason why newcomers to the canals find it such a liberating experience.

I wouldn't sit in judgement on say a boat with a posh galley, or a sophisticated sound system, it's more than likely the owner of that boat has made a sensible decision as to what aspects of modern life they really can't do without. On dry land we usually have what we can afford, whether we need it or not.

We "live" on the boat for four months of the year and I'm astonished at what I can do without. My own personal must have though is decent lighting, fortunately with modern LED's there's practically no limit these days.

Bad design is having a screw driver that will only hang a specific door. I resent a company trying to push me in to their monopoly. Its vulgar.

Totally agree. Fancy designing something simple to use and marketing it at a price that reflects the development costs. The bastards.

Totally agree. Fancy designing something simple to use and marketing it at a price that reflects the development costs. The bastards.

That really did make me laugh out load.

Thanks MTB and all other contributors. There were some very thoughtful responses and, to be honest, that's not absolutely what I expected.

I foresaw a number of 'well I've got....... and 'why shouldn't I have.......

For myself, I'm also in the 'to each his own, camp and I'm very comfortable with my (fairly) simple lifestyle.

Cheers,

T.

Best decision I made was not to have a fridge. Fresh food and no worries about power generation.

I remember reading an article by Bones describing the tyranny of an onboard fridge.

As we were preparing to come home, we'd emptied and turned off the fridge for our final weekend onboard.

We were connected to the mains (which we almost never do) and suddenly discovered we weren't using any significant power from the batteries.

It really brings it home how much our boaty lifestyle is dictated just by the fridge.

Rog

Why not have all this modern stuff. For those criticising the gadgets, one wonders what you used to post on here, a carrier pigeon? Presumably those that frown on having all this stuff still have their boat pulled by a horse, no plumbed in water, no electric, dig a hole in the ground for their no2s etc...
Why should I live like a caveman? I live on board all year, I'd much rather have my own washing machine than have to go trekking off to find laundrette lugging all my laundry with me, then have to pay, then have to sit there & wait for it.
I like to have a fridge, I dont necessarily want to go shopping every day, plus I like my drinks ice cold. I dont have to plan my life around a fridge, I make sure I'm set up to run 1 just fine.
I like to have a computer, why should I be without a computer just cuz I'm on a boat, I have the worlds knowledge at my fingertips with a computer & an internet connection, & I'd rather do that on my computer than on a phone.
I like to have a phone, handy things for getting on the internet, staying in touch with people etc.
I like to have electric, very useful stuff, & I'm set up so that my fridge gets enough electric.
I like to have a TV, no big deal if I cant get a signal, other places I can get a signal, I like watching the F1 amongst other things.
I like to have solar panels, saves me having to get up early 9 months of the year to start the engine to charge the batteries cuz I use stuff that uses electric.

• Greenie 1

So who's criticising? Certainly not me.

I have pretty much the same gadgets as you, except for solar, but no doubt I'll get round to it one day and I agree that boating isn't camping or living in a cave, although that might be fun as well. I stayed in a troglodyte house in France for a couple of weeks, but even that had all mod cons.

I'd question having the world's knowledge via the Internet. You have access to a small part of the knowledge and a vast amount of uninformed opinion, but we all believe what we believe.

I'm just off to draw a bucket of water from the cut. If I boil it overnight, I might get a decent cup of coffee in the morning.

Cheers,

T.

We're all 12v, except occasional 240 via inverter when I make bread, so 5 mins once a week. Solar, genny in depths of winter for 2 hours every 3 or 4 days. No tv. Lots of internet, hand washing frequently on stove in metal bucket through winter, cook on stove, forage when possible, no hook up, need to move for water, full time liveaboard, ditched the turbine, scavenge wood, shop at aldi and end of date stuff elsewhere. Broke. Love boat life! :)

Edited by Ally
  • Greenie 2

Really? Why?

and just as I was considering getting one!!

When I worked for BT, I was involved in a project to assess the viability of wind generators to power telephone exchanges across the country.

The investigations revealed that only 4% of installed wind generators (in 2007) generated their claimed output, and all of those were offshore, in Scotland or Cornwall.

They were installed to actually generate power at the Satellite Earth Station in Goonhilly Downs, Cornwall, and at many other places for PR purposes.

I do think we are at a stage in the western world where, for the first time perhaps, we can start to think of new technology as being optional.

Much of what has gone before has made life easier, or enabled us to do things quicker, saved time, effort, whatever, and the only barrier in the past has been whether you could afford it or not.

But there are so many things today that the marketing people have persuaded us we need rather than leaving us to work out whether life really is better for the acquisition of such things. And as such trinkets are invariably cheap, relatively, and folk have more disposable income these days, we don't stop to think how important they are. I remember thinking this for the first time when we bought a house that had an electric garage door.

The interest in "retro" technology IMHO has nothing to do with people trying to recapture their youth, it's more a realisation that in our haste to adopt the latest fad we have lost something of real value. For example nothing would persuade me to go back to driving a car from the 1970's, but the digitisation of music and photography, for me, is a backward step.

I feel we each find our own level with regard to new technologies.

Look around at the 'gadgets' we have, and the capabilities of the gadgets, and compare with what is actually used consistently.

I like candles, books, wireless, and spend more time on my guitar than I ever do watching tv.

That doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, and does not reflect on anyone else's choice either.

A chacon son gout :)

Rog

Didn't know whether to put this here or in the Virtual Pub, but here I am, so here goes.

This all popped into my mind for two reasons. First, the ever higher specification of new boats: you know the sort of thing, granite work tops, jacuzzis, power showers, servants quarters etc and secondly something I read on a post (can't remember by whom) about 'two lights and a pump lifestyle'.

One of the things that attracted me to life aboard was the minimalist thing; only using what you need, no waste, simple and the two approaches don't seem compatable. Can you, or more to the point, should you try to turn a narrowboat into a 5 bed 3 recep. detached house in 2 acres?

Don't think I'm criticising anybody, because I'm not. We all do what we all do, but I'm interested.

Cheers,

T.

My first liveaboard boat in 1989 had 12 volt only and not much of that. The water pump was foot operated and not electric, the engine was hand start only and inverters were not around at all. We loved the boat and lived on it for five years. Our present ( 9th ) boat has all singing and dancing lectrics for everything which we use becaiuse they are there and we are now older!! We like this boat too but the fancy stuff simply isnt needed. Same with cars now full of nonsense like my heated seats etc that never ever get switched on. wacko.png

Tim

• Greenie 1

I use a kettle and a bucket to wash. Permanently dirty and have a unique smell (stink). Use Audible books and go shooting and walk the dog .

This is the only website I browse now, no moreYoutube or pirate sites (I miss Major Crimes). Try to get to bed by 8pm as I'm pooped and would have been up since 4am (empty dog)