Fishing hook danger

biggles47

Featured Posts

I recently had to cut off a hook which was dangling down from a tree at face height just 20 yards south after the main road bridge at Braunston. The question is, how on earth could a fisherman do this? Or could it have been deliberate?

I hate to think of the consequences of getting a fishing hook stuck in your face whilst the boat is moving.

I recently had to cut off a hook which was dangling down from a tree at face height just 20 yards south after the main road bridge at Braunston. The question is, how on earth could a fisherman do this? Or could it have been deliberate?

I hate to think of the consequences of getting a fishing hook stuck in your face whilst the boat is moving.

Easy - bad cast puts line into the tree.

Fishterman unable to untangle, and breaks line in the process.

You see loads of fishing gear in trees and bushes.

I wouldn't have thought it was wide enough there to need to cast. More of a dangle I would have thought.

Ah but fishermen inexplicably always believe the biggest fish are on the opposite side of the canal, have you not noticed this?

AND, grown up fishists use them stupidly long poles these days. Only those playing at it use a rod and reel which which they can cast. Hence my suggestion it was a child fishist.

Chances of getting a dangling hook stuck in your face are vanishingly small. Even in the unlikely event of it aligning with and coming into contact with your face it would most likely just brush over your skin. Far more likely to catch in your clothing if anything, I'd say.

Years back, I returned from a weekend's boating and around half ten at night on the Sunday my Spaniel started pawing at her face.

I discovered a fishing hook embedded in her face, I could only imagine it had been hanging from a tree.

An emergency vet call out shortened my pocket to the tune of a couple of hundred.

The dog was okay, but we could have all done without it.

It's not just us humans. When our dogs were three/four months old, they trotted along the tow path towards an angler, one of the dogs stuck her nose into his 'tackle box' and came out with a hook attached to her nose. After a bit of a giggle we removed it. Funnily enough this episode has not been repeated, yet!

I once had to reel in a duck that decided the best thing for it to eat was a baited hook on the stern deck , it went into the water and came to a sudden halt with much loud quacking and screeching , it was never my intent a duck should try and eat the hook but never the less some dickhead woman complained I was so cruel while I attempted to take out the hook from the ducks beak , I expect she was having much the same reaction as you seem to be having by jumping straight to the it must be a deliberate act thought , you also never said or explained how you removed the hook that presented the danger to you and other boaters , or did you deliberately leave it and if so , where you as reckless or deliberate as you think someone else was.

I once had to reel in a duck that decided the best thing for it to eat was a baited hook on the stern deck , it went into the water and came to a sudden halt with much loud quacking and screeching , it was never my intent a duck should try and eat the hook but never the less some dickhead woman complained I was so cruel while I attempted to take out the hook from the ducks beak , I expect she was having much the same reaction as you seem to be having by jumping straight to the it must be a deliberate act thought , you also never said or explained how you removed the hook that presented the danger to you and other boaters , or did you deliberately leave it and if so , where you as reckless or deliberate as you think someone else was.

If that was addressed to the OP, he said he cut it off.

When we moored on the Broads I seemed to spend my life removing fishing line and hooks from bankside trees and shrubs. Trolling by holiday boats were the biggest culprits.

The local wild birds and fowl suffered greatly, a very tame moorhen that came to our boat every day went missing for a few days. When it rocked up it had line round it's leg which had swelled right up. I caught it to render aid and the leg fell clean off with only a couple of drops of blood, I had to take it to a waterfowl sanctuary. Similar story with a couple of swans and also a Egyptian Goose. I often pulled in hundreds of yards of line caught up in the trees.

Phil

Yes, some of the treble hooks [if thats what they still call them] that i have found along the canal were big enough to catch a bloody shark.

I suspect that such hooks are attractive to young, inexperienced fishers. I failed to retrieve a large and rather beautiful lure from a tree that looked for all the world like a goldfish. It fell in when I touched the branch

Richard

In April on a camp site in Slovenia whilst walking the dog I came across a sobbing child who had been 'hooked' by her 12 year old brother just above the back of her right ankle, the hook was deeply embedded and about 1" long. I picked up 'Winky' and with brother in tow (literally) went to the nearby reception who were clearly quite experienced in this sort of thing.

Their simple expertise impressed me and I think it is worth handing on....

1 Brother and fishing rod separated and sent to fetch parents

2 Ice lolly given to 'Winky' & ice cubes applied to ankle

3 (the yucky bit)Fish hook pushed right through so that the point popped through the skin

4 Point and barb snipped off with side-cutting pliers and the shank simply reversed out, just like my wife taking out an ear-ring!

Some very natty purple antiseptic was applied in time for the distraught parents return and off they went.

Doug

Ah but fishermen inexplicably always believe the biggest fish are on the opposite side of the canal, have you not noticed this?

Fishing habits beat me! Why fish from one side of the cut with a 15ft pole, when you could go to the other side and fish with a 3ft pole?

Because the best fish will be on t'other side of 'cut!

I suspect that such hooks are attractive to young, inexperienced fishers. I failed to retrieve a large and rather beautiful lure from a tree that looked for all the world like a goldfish. It fell in when I touched the branch

Richard

More likely they are being used to 'foul hook' carp or pike. A practice used by some of our local seasonal workers.

I rescued a bat hanging from a fishing line few years ago ungratfull sod bit me, jumped out of my hand and landed in the canal last seen swimming for the bank

Good work - I like my wildlife to be wild!

Richard

Wild? WILD?

He was totally batty!

• Greenie 1