leaving the locks

kingswood

Featured Posts

Fine if it's possible, but certainly won't work for all. It's often advantageous to have one boat set off first to ready the next lock in a flight given there may be only space for one boat on the lock mooring, whilst the others crew close both gates of previous.

As with all lock advice it can only be particular to a single lock or maybe a flight with the same features though. In this case you have the added variable of another boat and crew. Best to discuss with them how they prefer to work things. I usually find after couple of shared locks into a flight, a routine is established which works well for all.

when sharing a double lock what are people thoughts on leaving ie together then stopping just outside the gate then both crews can hop on I have done this this a couple of times and I like it,

If the other crew are happy to yes we do. Cant be doing with pulling over to the bollards all the time. Ill be happy to do some synchronised locking with you any time.

Edited by tillergirl

If its a flight the crew can walk between then one person (only) can lag behind and close up, while one person can go ahead and get the next ready. So both boats could leave together and proceed together, but no need to stop to pick up crew.

If its a flight the crew can't walk between (or the last of the flight) then typically I'd let one boat go ahead (get the crew on in the lock, straight out the lock no need to stop) while the other closes up then picks up the crew.

If there's only one crew member (and 2 boats with drivers = 3 people total) then it depends whether you're going up or down - let the boat(s) driver(s) sort out the stuff on their level, the crew goes ahead or stays behind for the other bit.

when sharing a double lock what are people thoughts on leaving ie together then stopping just outside the gate then both crews can hop on I have done this this a couple of times and I like it,

If possible much the easiest way. Keeps both boats under better control the whole time.

It is important to wait in the tail of the lock as some short intermediate pounds have significant swirling currents which are hard enough on your own but much harder when two together. Hence the need to go at a reasonable pace between the locks, timing arrival for the opening of the gates.

One of the points to say to someone nervous (or unused) of doing this is that it is easier to judge the left-right position with two as you know that both will fit! Hence, each only need to look at their nearside for position. The better steerer can also help to correct any errors by the other by gently maintaining the right approach with a slight nudge if necessary.

Of course, a more traditional approach would be to go strapped together but that is less than easy if different lengths.

Also provides good opportunities to talk steerer to steerer!

However, do remember to agree who will signal to approaching boats especially if there are two using the same technique. One pair has to part to let the other through the middle so a hand signal is appropriate. usually the pair that leave scond take the middle path - but if one pair is deep draughted then they will usually need to take priority.

Of course, a more traditional approach would be to go strapped together but that is less than easy if different lengths.

This only Needs one steerer so no one to talk to

Yes, definitely.

And in a flight where the locks are closely spaced, boat between them side by side, and enter the next lock together.

And this, definitely easier than going in separately and trying to keep over while the second boat comes in!

Best of all, when possible - but then you don't need the second steerer so they can go and set ahead :-)

IMG_3665.JPG

Edited by Chertsey

Yes, definitely.

And this, definitely easier than going in separately and trying to keep over while the second boat comes in!

Best of all, when possible - but then you don't need the second steerer so they can go and set ahead :-)

It's fine until you meet two boats coming the other way, who don't know the etiquette.We were coming up Hatton earlier in the year and met a breasted pair coming down. We were manoeuvring to pass on either side before they had fully opened the gates and gave them a clear run through the pound.

We offered to do the same again later on to two boats coming down in one of the shorter pounds but they insisted on coming out separately and both passing on the right. What a palaver!

You conflated my comments more than I intended!

If doing this on the K&A make sure that both gates are able to open fully before going through them. How do I know this?????

..............Dave

Was it you that stopped our boat from going beyond Devizes three or four years back? Ruined the plans of the offspring who had just taken it over to meet with us in Bristol!

(A Caen Hill lock was broken because a breasted pair forgot to open both gates and lifted the other one out of the pot!)

Same way as I know it about one of the Hanwell locks?

The Volocky told us not to do that in one lock but we forgot which one, I think my boat is slightly narrower than some and we slipped through OK

Edit

Sorry right thread, wrong posting, it was the K&A Caen Hill, Devizes .

Edit

Sorry

Edited by ditchcrawler

Just a few years ago we were starting down the Hatton flight when another boat turned up. No names, no pack drill, but Hasta La vista! Mr Second Boat suggested to my wife - she who commands the tiller - that we tie the boats together for the duration of the flight. She agreed, and that's what we did, but then he strode off, and from then on one or more locks were always set for the two boats. Meanwhile, having got over prospect of steering two tied boats into all the locks, everything went like clockwork. So all I can say to the gentleman, whom we have met many times since, is 'muchas gracias'

David Schweizer and I have managed with a 45ft and I think David's boat was 55ft - stand to be corrected here, traversing the Braunston Flight.

One steering the other lock wheeling.

Edited by Ray T

Just a few years ago we were starting down the Hatton flight when another boat turned up. No names, no pack drill, but Hasta La vista! Mr Second Boat suggested to my wife - she who commands the tiller - that we tie the boats together for the duration of the flight. She agreed, and that's what we did, but then he strode off, and from then on one or more locks were always set for the two boats. Meanwhile, having got over prospect of steering two tied boats into all the locks, everything went like clockwork. So all I can say to the gentleman, whom we have met many times since, is 'muchas gracias'

Same happened to me but the other way round and the lady took our boat with her while 3 of us worked the locks

Strapping two boats together is my prefered method but somee people are reluctant to do it for some reason.

Top Cat

I can understand their reluctance. We rafted up with another boat once and ended up going a mile and 6 locks out of our way. Moral of the story: only raft up AFTER making sure the other boat is going in the same direction. ;)

And in a flight where the locks are closely spaced, boat between them side by side, and enter the next lock together.

Hatton flight going down is wonderful for this, great fun. Boats coming up think you are abreasted pair and react appropriately, peel off either side. It also reduces the time for the flight.

You conflated my comments more than I intended!

Was it you that stopped our boat from going beyond Devizes three or four years back? Ruined the plans of the offspring who had just taken it over to meet with us in Bristol!

(A Caen Hill lock was broken because a breasted pair forgot to open both gates and lifted the other one out of the pot!)

No, it was certainly not us. I think the Caan Hill lock is a narrow entrance rather than the gates not opening though we have got stuck in there twice (we obviously don't learn very quickly), A lock on the Seend flight just below Caan Hill has gates that don't fully open and we have been stuck in that one too. In all cases we have eventually managed to extricate ourselves and done no damage (except perhaps to our pride). Caan Hill does suffer from quite a bit of boat damage, I suspect some boats rush so they can boast about how quickly they do the flight.

..............Dave

Much as I want to trust people until proved otherwise - there is no way I would be prepared to let anyone (even another 70' boat) tie up to me in a lock. I need complete control of my position to ensure I don't get entangled in gates, cills etc.

Maybe I'll mellow with more experience, next year will be my 45th since I started boating so perhaps I'll loosen up.

It's fine until you meet two boats coming the other way, who don't know the etiquette.We were coming up Hatton earlier in the year and met a breasted pair coming down. We were manoeuvring to pass on either side before they had fully opened the gates and gave them a clear run through the pound.

We offered to do the same again later on to two boats coming down in one of the shorter pounds but they insisted on coming out separately and both passing on the right. What a palaver!

As long as you let the other boat know what you are doing you can do this

SDC10325.jpg

SDC10326_1.jpg

SDC10327.jpg

Much as I want to trust people until proved otherwise - there is no way I would be prepared to let anyone (even another 70' boat) tie up to me in a lock. I need complete control of my position to ensure I don't get entangled in gates, cills etc.

Maybe I'll mellow with more experience, next year will be my 45th since I started boating so perhaps I'll loosen up.

Well, I've been in the fortunate position of boating with people who are much more experienced than me and who I know and trust. I still think that's rather a sad comment though. After all, if they didn't trust me, how would I learn?

Edited by Chertsey