42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

I saw this and thought of this thread. I'm fairly sure there's none in Yorkshire, but you never know?

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/oct/24/australia-giant-spider-mouse-carry-horrifying-impressive?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Shouldn't that post have a warning before others may click the link as the giant spider may offend.

Why did I click the link :(

(Goes to the statue I built of Dave P that's made of empty cake boxes and corks, and gives it a jolly good kicking)

I'll drag the boat back through the gate during the day, much to dark at 4am.

Some score came on the boat and knocked my torch that has been in the same place for over a month :( hope they get barnacles on their bottom

Some score came on the boat and knocked my torch that has been in the same place for over a month ...

Does that translate to :

When cruising along at a steady speed and approaching a swingbridge, I pulled into the bank to moor up and await for the assistance of a passing boater - I misjudged the position of the bank and hit it with a 'bit of a bang', my torch rolled off the top of the boat and into the canal - I have had that torch for a whole month.

I blame that boater that wasn't there to help me with the bridge.

Does that translate to :

When cruising along at a steady speed and approaching a swingbridge, I pulled into the bank to moor up and await for the assistance of a passing boater - I misjudged the position of the bank and hit it with a 'bit of a bang', my torch rolled off the top of the boat and into the canal - I have had that torch for a whole month.

I blame that boater that wasn't there to help me with the bridge.

Your kidneys will be gone before nightfallhelp.gif

Edited by peterboat

Note to self:

Replace Mr Enfields kidneys with a sack of women on a hen night (that'll teach him) may their white stilettos keep him up all night Grrrr

I'll have you know I was having a nap when my torch (also door holder) was snatched my a hoodlum who bounded onto my boat rocking it and telling his chum the door wasn't locked. I began barking and the boat rocked again when he legged it.

Been told to move my boat. Apparently chap seems to think this is not a mooring spot. Chap says boaters don't stop here. Chap buys a home next to a visitor mooring!?!

PS

Did no one think of telling me I am a six foot Jamaican chap with a pit bull. Why am I the last to know these things :(

Off to drag me boat back to the hole.

Been told to move my boat. Apparently chap seems to think this is not a mooring spot. Chap says boaters don't stop here. Chap buys a home next to a visitor mooring!?!

I once lived in a tiny village where a couple moved in and complained that the cockerel and cows were keeping them awake. Do people not think when they buy a home?

It is good seeing that things are improving for you (and they are, even if they don't seem like it at times!) i really hope we get to meet up on a canal somewhere one day.

Note to self:

I'll have you know I was having a nap when my torch (also door holder) was snatched my a hoodlum who bounded onto my boat rocking it and telling his chum the door wasn't locked. I began barking and the boat rocked again when he legged it.

In all seriousness - maybe your experience is a common occurrence and local boaters know not to stop there, there are known 'problem areas' around the system, maybe you just happened to find one.

One of the many paradoxes of canal life is why people who hate canals and boats buy houses next to the canal. The best example is the owner of the house at Greenberfield top lock who is a bit of a legend on the Leeds Liverpool.

Just don't complain when you wake up and find your other half missing ( he'll be my bridge monkey forever Mah Ha Ha ha)

Back just after bridge 192 again in Silsden, the darn thing kept on swinging back on the boat so I had to wedge myself between it and the boat, thankfully my body fat saved me from the worst of the crushing (Thank you Mr Kipling).

I'm going to lurk around here for a while. If I have to face another bridge I will start taking hostages.

I did get help on two of the bridges by passing cyclists who made it a family event :)

I like it here as there are lots of fields and houses are in the distance on the other side so my cats can be as cat like as they want. Pups still a special moonbeam, she's just discovered she has a tail (deftinatly adopted).

PS

With great regret I have now realised that I will have to repainted my boat :( my Bitumen is coming off in chunks (A pox on Mr Cuthound) .

I have a 12V drill. Can this be used to prep the boat.

I want it to look like the Starsky and Hutch car so I can chase certain members down (every single one of you) and drive through card board boxes that are conveniently stacked around the canal.

May explain why my Torch got kidnapped Mr Enfield ( nights are much more frightening now)

Don't worry Mr Neil2, I'll find him then knit very loudly outside his home while doing donuts ( and Bakewell tarts)

Don't get me started on reversing (dragging) the boat back across bridge 197 in order to get to the turning hole. Blooming gymnastics event getting around the railings then I got stuck across the canal because the hole had moved so I had to make my own turny-roundy-bit.

Definitely going to need a new undercarriage :(

Max I don't know much about painting boats but I suspect a drill may not be the best gadget. I know its very tempting to have a go with whatever to hand but just maybe wait until those who know lots come along to give advice. Ive used lots of gadgets for stuff I shouldn't and its easy to mess up.

I think its hard work painting boats..I think you have to sand down all the old surface and winter months too damp for paint to dry ..maybe best plan would be to let it all shed off over winter and deal when the sunshine comes back.

Concentrate on what you can do now...

You are doing great....

Thank you Patty-Ann (your royal awesomeness)

Just that my boat is looking less 'Stealthy'and more 'Skip'. I'll carry on painting inside.

Still haven't used my drill yet sad.png

I'm still perplexed about why you painted it black with hull blacking when the reason you bought it was because it was BLUE!!!!!

Gurls, hopeless...

Thank you Patty-Ann (your royal awesomeness)

Just that my boat is looking less 'Stealthy'and more 'Skip'. I'll carry on painting inside.

Still haven't used my drill yet sad.png

Thats Ok..I knows a little..but not a lot..but Im quite happy to share the little I know. I used my drill to make big holes in plasterboard in Horror House which I then had to fill in to disguise from folks who criticise so I then used it to drill holes in Knotweed stems to fill with weed killer....So u will find a use but don't just drill holes anywhere cos there might be electric wires under. Be very careful and ask on here first..there are (whispers) men who know lots.

I can see why u used black bitumen..I brought a tin of that to use on my roof but changed my mind and gave it away.

Thats Ok..I knows a little..but not a lot..but Im quite happy to share the little I know. I used my drill to make big holes in plasterboard in Horror House which I then had to fill in to disguise from folks who criticise so I then used it to drill holes in Knotweed stems to fill with weed killer....So u will find a use but don't just drill holes anywhere cos there might be electric wires under. Be very careful and ask on here first..there are (whispers) men who know lots.

I can see why u used black bitumen..I brought a tin of that to use on my roof but changed my mind and gave it away.

Off topic and im sorry but how well did the knotweed treatment work?

I'll continue 'off topic' to answer this ..stem injection amazing results..it died within weeks last year..regrowth much smaller and not large enough to repeat stem injection..has been sprayed..anticipate another year of spray and area 9 metres from boundary will probably be just about clear. None in my garden now..

Apparently treatment here had best result of any she had done..we believe this is because i followed up treatment with bonfire and burnt all the dead stems and crowns that i managed to dig out. My knotweed pyre could be seen from top of hill. Digging out crowns is best as they can regrow..takes lot to zap them

However if the treated area is cultivated or soil disturbed knotweed may regenerate. The most you can do is push into dormant state but the dormant state can last years. Though having said that there are areas that the root system is dead and rotted.

Fascinating subject and a war I may well win!

I am considering extending treated area next year as it was so amazing. Swansea is worst affected area in country and I firmly believe in doing my bit where this invader is concerned.

Off topic and im sorry but how well did the knotweed treatment work?

Edited by patty-ann
  • Greenie 2

I'll continue 'off topic' to answer this ..stem injection amazing results..it died within weeks last year..regrowth much smaller and not large enough to repeat stem injection..has been sprayed..anticipate another year of spray and area 9 metres from boundary will probably be just about clear. None in my garden now..

Apparently treatment here had best result of any she had done..we believe this is because i followed up treatment with bonfire and burnt all the dead stems and crowns that i managed to dig out. My knotweed pyre could be seen from top of hill. Digging out crowns is best as they can regrow..takes lot to zap them

However if the treated area is cultivated or soil disturbed knotweed may regenerate. The most you can do is push into dormant state but the dormant state can last years. Though having said that there are areas that the root system is dead and rotted.

Fascinating subject and a war I may well win!

I am considering extending treated area next year as it was so amazing. Swansea is worst affected area in country and I firmly believe in doing my bit where this invader is concerned.

Thats great news, im aware stem injection is the bee knees and im glad its worked so well

We had knotweed in the garden when we bought this house about 25 years ago and I did the stem treatment too. It certainly reduced the knotweed but most years I see wee shoots starting to come up. It is very persistent stuff!! I treated some in the village woodland the same way and that was much more successful probably as the ground was not disturbed later.

haggis

Edited by haggis

I heard you need to get down into the soil and remove a whole chunk of it. Blooming expensive job.

Cat litter sausages really work YAY.

(You're thinking I'm doing something in-lady-like with cat doings aren't you. Well you're wrong)

Cheap kindling

Oy you two at the back Grrr. Santas only giving you jellied eels in your stockings.

whys my cauliflower dripping? So does my coolent header thing :( put the dangle pipes over a bucket. Bedroom blooming cold last night. Radiators don't work and I here a gushing noise in the pipes.

Please send MTB in a stamped addressed envelope ( most likely return him in more or less the condition he arrived in).