42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

^^^^^^^

Putting something else besides mushy peas under your mattress Grrrr

And another thing (still not having a strop) I just want you lot to know that if my copy of McArthur Park by Richard Harris wears out, I'll sue you all on Judge Judy

I know nuffin about gas fridges but would this help Max with her consumption dilemma....or is it to expensive to convert re getting in the pipework or whatever feeds them?

I guess having a light on all night if they are the more power hungry ones is a draw which means engines just gotta be run more, so leccy lights have to be sorted to those that don't want so much battery juice.

I am sure the collective on here will be able to advise best way forward...

Meanwhile Skipton calls....

I hope sun shines and waters calm....

Enjoy your day

If Max is having electrical issues caused by charging problems then it seems to me sensible to cut electrical usage down as much as possible for the time being . Asap .

Ascertain whats not functioning as it should - lots of folk on this site are only to willing to help - and prioritise what to fix first .

So , no fridge .... for now & i would strongly recommend a few LED replacement lightbulbs perhaps . If you cannot afford the whole boat then just the most often used ones .

Take a bulb out of the fitting and take it with u to the nearest chandler - they may or may not stock what u need . They may be able to order some for you .

Above all else remain positive Max . I think as many do that your doing a fine job and the learning curves are steep , but for the time being why not look at how to minimise your impact on your electrics - just for now .

As i say , i live on my boat - no shoreline . No fridge in winter , led bulbs , no boring TV , and therefore minimal drain on my batteries - i live this because i LIKE to not because i have to - so it can be done .

Well done again - by this time next year you 'll be better informed , with your first winter behind you and in many ways you 'll be very well informed about the systems on your boat because you ve had to take a very " hands on " aporoach to how it all works

cheers

If Max is having electrical issues caused by charging problems then it seems to me sensible to cut electrical usage down as much as possible for the time being . Asap .

Ascertain whats not functioning as it should - lots of folk on this site are only to willing to help - and prioritise what to fix first .

So , no fridge .... for now & i would strongly recommend a few LED replacement lightbulbs perhaps . If you cannot afford the whole boat then just the most often used ones .

Take a bulb out of the fitting and take it with u to the nearest chandler - they may or may not stock what u need . They may be able to order some for you .

Above all else remain positive Max . I think as many do that your doing a fine job and the learning curves are steep , but for the time being why not look at how to minimise your impact on your electrics - just for now .

As i say , i live on my boat - no shoreline . No fridge in winter , led bulbs , no boring TV , and therefore minimal drain on my batteries - i live this because i LIKE to not because i have to - so it can be done .

Well done again - by this time next year you 'll be better informed , with your first winter behind you and in many ways you 'll be very well informed about the systems on your boat because you ve had to take a very " hands on " aporoach to how it all works

cheers

Another spadeful of common sense here from that nice Mr Chubby. Especially the first sentence.

He's been through the same learning process on here as you MissyMaxy. PAY ATTENTION to what he says.

Learning to manage your electricity generating/consumption is by far the most difficult bit of CCing.

They re very kind words MtB ,

Its good to see the forum still doing what it does best . This is where forum does and should shine - helping each other .

I cannot offer specific advice as my technical know how is limited to what ive been forced to learn in order to fix broken stuff on my boat .

Its thru the member of this forum that ive learn t what little i have . I cannot pass on techy stuff but can encourage and can make suggestions - others more knowledgeable can offer specific info .

This thread is a heartwarming one amidst so much other goings on , so hang in there MM it 'll all be fine

We had an electrical overhaul a couple of years ago. New alternator,new batteries,new fridge, some,not all LED light conversions.

We have a 12v Television. Charge iPhone,iPad,dongle via 12v.

When running the engine charge everything we can,including torches through inverter. Turn up the fridge.

Engine not running, we,as a rule use the least the better. If you're not in the galley turn the lights off etc.

Someone once explain the water jug principle.

You have a two pint jug of water fed by a trickle. You pour out a pint. (Half), I takesvery little time. To fill back up to two pints (full), takes ages. In the meantime you take a bit more water out, you now have less than half a jug full. If you keep taking more than you have managed to refill by trickle the jug will eventually empty. (Flat batteries). You have to at sometime either stop taking water or turn the tap on full. (Run the engine for a lond period.)

I always remembered this theory.

Someone once explain the water jug principle.

You have a two pint jug of water fed by a trickle. You pour out a pint. (Half), I takesvery little time. To fill back up to two pints (full), takes ages. In the meantime you take a bit more water out, you now have less than half a jug full. If you keep taking more than you have managed to refill by trickle the jug will eventually empty. (Flat batteries). You have to at sometime either stop taking water or turn the tap on full. (Run the engine for a lond period.)

I always remembered this theory.

Its a good analogy, assuming the trickle of water filling it up is your solar panels. If not, where is the trickle coming from?

There is a complication though. If you completely empty the jug (i.e. run the batteries flat), the jug will never fill up again with two pints. It will reduce in capacity to only 1 7/8 pints.

And if you do it again, it will lose more capacity and only refill to 1 3/4 pints. And so on until your batteries have too little useful capacity and then they are goosed. I've an idea this has happened already to Missmax's batteries.

To avoid this happening you must never discharge your batteries more than half. (Massive generalisation but broadly correct.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Now you have complicated it. I was trying to keep it simple for MissMax.

But you are correct. Battery life is not simple. I buggered a set of batteries,fairly new, by not knowing and understanding what I was doing or not doing.

Don't worry. We all have. I still seem to do this annually.

Me too.

I recommend you learn all about batteries. Then you'll know HOW you are buggering them annually!

I'm thinking about splashing out on better batteries in the hope they'll do better but I'm sure I'm quite capable of buggering them up too.

I'm thinking about splashing out on better batteries in the hope they'll do better but I'm sure I'm quite capable of buggering them up too.

I've just done this actually.

The thing about Trojans is that at £120 each they are not a lot more expensive than el cheapo leisures, but they (reputedly) put up with a lot more abuse before turning and biting you. You can discharge them down to 20% for example, rather than the 50% advisory limit on cheapies.

But you still need to charge them properly. If you consistently put back less than you use, they will still knacker themselves. So instrumentation to display true state of charge is essential. An ammeter is very helpful to have too. Then suddenly it all gets very easy.

Great thread, just finally caught up, we are also having problems with our fridge, though I think it is the thermostat and should be able to fix. Batteries have just been replaced, previous owner replaced 2 110ah batteries with 2 100ah batteries leaving a bank of 1x110ah plus two 100ah batteries. Which if I am correct would leave the 110ah attempting to charge the 100ah batteries.

Central heating now being sorted, well next week. Some great advice on this thread, so a big thanks to MssMadMax, for starting it, and for forum members for their input.

LED lights, as Max you have the long tubes, it may be worth buying a real of white 12v LED's such as this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122111108996you can cut the strip at selected intervals, fully waterproof and cheaper than buying individual bulbs, self adhesive, just a little bit of soldering to do. CPC do a 5 meter real for £20. From a consumption point of view you could also choose different amounts of LED's per meter, just to give you another option of course.

I do realise from your previous posts you may not be the most technical person afloat, but in reality a simple job for the marina guys.

You are doing excellent by the sounds of things, kept it up and the posts coming..

From another newcomer it really is a steep learning curve, but an enjoyable one at least, well sometimes anyway....

• Greenie 1

The thing about Trojans is that at £120 each they are not a lot more expensive than el cheapo leisures, but they (reputedly) put up with a lot more abuse before turning and biting you. You can discharge them down to 20% for example, rather than the 50% advisory limit on cheapies.

But you still need to charge them properly. If you consistently put back less than you use, they will still knacker themselves. So instrumentation to display true state of charge is essential. An ammeter is very helpful to have too. Then suddenly it all gets very easy.

Which model of trojans did you get?

Great thread, just finally caught up, we are also having problems with our fridge, though I think it is the thermostat and should be able to fix. Batteries have just been replaced, previous owner replaced 2 110ah batteries with 2 100ah batteries leaving a bank of 1x110ah plus two 100ah batteries. Which if I am correct would leave the 110ah attempting to charge the 100ah batteries.

Imagine 3 connected water tanks, 1 big and 2 small, all filled to the same water level. How much water will flow from the big tank to the small tank?

Imagine 3 connected water tanks, 1 big and 2 small, all filled to the same water level. How much water will flow from the big tank to the small tank?

That to me is an imponderable as it depends on the shape of the tanks. If the two small tanks are tall and thin while the large tank is wide and flat water will flow one way if the reverse shapes are used (Large tank tall and thin small flat) the water will flow the other way.

It would depend on whether the tanks are at the same level or not. If all three tanks are level, the water will not flow either way until the level of one tank drops. Then the water will flow in that direction regardless of it being a big tank or a small tank.

Which model of trojans did you get?

I've got Trojans, 31XHS they are fantastic. I don't let them go below 50% though.

In Nigel Calder's book he advises a very simple way of selecting batteries - weight. Basically buy the heaviest you can manhandle into the battery compartment. I've lost the data but I think the Trojans are just over 30 kilos each which might cause problems with some boats I've seen.

Max, a fridge runs at about 5 degrees. In winter on a boat do you really need one? Putting food in a box near the baseplate or against the cool metal sides below water level will probably be fine. Review it again in the spring.

We have a little hatch in the floor that keeps stuff surprisingly cool against the base of the boat.

Max, a fridge runs at about 5 degrees. In winter on a boat do you really need one? Putting food in a box near the baseplate or against the cool metal sides below water level will probably be fine. Review it again in the spring.

We have a little hatch in the floor that keeps stuff surprisingly cool against the base of the boat.

'Probably' eh?

How would that work then, given the daytime temp now is about 17c and at night it falls to about 7c?

I fail to see how food stored at an average temp of about 10c is gonna be as safe as in a fridge.

Have you actually measured the temperature on your baseplate? What was it?

• Greenie 1

Mike, you're right if you think that using a fridge is better than not having one. But, if money is tight the expenditure might wait a little longer.

I lived many of the years of my youth not owning a fridge at all. We used buckets of water for the milk and a meat safe for other things. I have survived. I'm sure Max, with care, can as well. I was simply trying to suggest that food in a cool place will keep better than warm spots.

I think my base plate is roughly at the temp of the canal at that depth. I might even measure it! What is yours in the south of the country?

We don't have a fridge at the moment, a cool box + ice sees us through 2 or 3 days easily - to the point where over winter I'm not too worried about getting it sorted just now.

Where are you getting the ice?

Ice will make all the difference between a box outside being too warm and being a safe temp.