42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

Depends how long it takes him to sort out my plumbing.

May have to use the bull whip and kettle drum if he doesn't move fast enough ( dressing gown belt and a tube of Pringles in reality. Blooming poor ain't I )

Oh stop it. You'll have them queuing up.

You have a kettle drum? Does it make tea?

Like I said before. Nip down here to Wiltshire with yer bote and I'll sort it out in a flash :)

Oh stop it. You'll have them queuing up.

You have a kettle drum? Does it make tea?Like I said before. Nip down here to Wiltshire with yer bote and I'll sort it out in a flash :)

Well you can make tea in it but then the pringles go all soggy :)

She did give me a lot of verbal afterwards which I was offended by :( she also left me with hairy eyeballs on my tear stained face.

I fixed the gurgling whooshing sound all by myself . I put a screwdriver in the hole and hissing started then icky stuff came out. No more noise now and the radiators did start to get warm (fell asleep before checking properly). Where does the air come from?

She did give me a lot of verbal afterwards which I was offended by sad.png she also left me with hairy eyeballs on my tear stained face.

I fixed the gurgling whooshing sound all by myself . I put a screwdriver in the hole and hissing started then icky stuff came out. No more noise now and the radiators did start to get warm (fell asleep before checking properly). Where does the air come from?

That's actually a very good question, if it's a "vented " system with a header tank you can get air sucked in through the expansion pipe but you can also get air in sealed systems. I'm having this issue at the moment with one of our properties and I cannot identify how air is getting into it as it is most definitely leak free. The only explanation is there must be a joint or joints where air can get sucked in but water can't get out. Whatever, it is really frustrating.

"Air" in central heating systems may not be a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen.

With steel radiators, one of the corrosion processes produces hydrogen and magnetite, which is a black sludge, as opposed to the brown stuff which often discolours the water. Magnetite tends to stay in the bottom of radiators and pipes, and so isn't obvious until the system is taken apart.

One test is to hold a flame near the bleed valve when bleeding the radiators. If the "air" pops or burns, it's hydrogen.

e.t.a. More common in sealed systems than open ones, although it can happen in both.

Edited by Iain_S

I had black stuff coming out. Is it bad? I can't handle anymore boat spending at the moment sad.png

We have it in some of our radiators at home. Its corrosion on the inside of the rads and pipes. We have one particular rad in the hallway that needs bleeding on a regular basis.

I wouldn't overly worry about it for now. Just keeping remembering to bleed the air out.

It's not good (corrosion never is!), but isn't worth worrying unduly about, unless the radiators are needing bled every week.

Eventually, the black (and brown) stuff settles at the bottom of radiators and compromises the efficiency of the system.

The cure is a corrosion inhibitor in the system, either anti freeze on something from the Fernox range.

If I had black stuff coming out of a radiator, I'd probably be taking them out for a good flush through. Bit of a messy job, though, and probably one for the summer, when you don't actually need a heating system laugh.png

It was the screw bit that I twisted. It's on a pipe that leads from the stove and takes hot water to both radiators. The stove has stopped making the weird creepy noise. I'll check if the radiators are heating properly tonight.

I'll have to pay a person to sort out the flushing job. If it involved bashing things with a hammer I'd be fine, but knowing my luck I'd end up sinking the boat :(

Would suggest max that you prioritize what needs money spending on, you mentioned the solar, but i would wait till next march for that, need to fix the important things first, heat, engine, water, cooking....

If you can move, stay warm, heat water and eat a hot meal then thats the basics, everything else can wait till money becomes more readily available.

After reading those posts, I'm off to find a quiet place and cry sad.png

I'm reminded of that bit in the film "The Railway Children" where Bobbie tells Dr Forrest about the Russian Szczepansky.

"I've never seen a man cry" she confesses, "Haven't you?" he replies "I do it all the time..."