42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

Oh dear. Technically I got to Silsden but due to bashing my bottom repeatedly I have landed just past the houses before bridge 192.

May need a new bottom sad.png to to use my legs than do the leap of faith onto the boat.

There was no sensible place to moor on the towpath side, blooming rocks or culls very blooming place. Least cats won't get locked in the men's room.

Need to find shops and laundry place. Only had to do one bridge alone smile.png ( still have my windows)

Well done..you got there..

I think with the stem/stern issue just ask the lovely people on here to use pointy end and blunt end..no confusion then.

Well done..you got there..

I think with the stem/stern issue just ask the lovely people on here to use pointy end and blunt end..no confusion then.

Yes, give them a stern warning and they'll bow to your wishes.

I was using the pointy end rope (may explain why I nearly lost my windows)

I'm off to find Aldi and locate a laundrette. No one has told me what I can do with my rubbish! I demand answers ( if it's not to much trouble)

PS

YAY me. I never had to stalk Nightwatch today :)

.......at leat there is tommorow (ain't that right Mr Chris)

Bag your rubbish and put it on your roof.

There's a washing place five minutes walk away to the north of the canal turn second left.

Aldi is south of the canal five minutes walk from the bridge.

When we were in Silsden, we moored on the Skipton side of the Main Bridge opposite the newish houses.

I was using the pointy end rope (may explain why I nearly lost my windows)

The centre line may be better too pull the boat initially, I do it on the bridge near the end where the boat is to fend it off the bridge if need be. The blunt end rope is mostly so you can continue pulling the boat once when you run out of centre line to pull! But using this blunt end rope tends to move the boat back to the towpath and blunt end towards the bridge so you will still need to fend off. The more bridges you do the more you'll get use to how your boat moves with the ropes and you'll just do it naturally.

Thank you Robo. Bridges was on the Big Boaty Fear List before I tried it myself :)

Silsden Boats have a rubbish bin for boaters as well as water and what- nots which is good as I didn't want to keep the pup poop with me any longer

ADVICE TIME PLEASE

I have a full tank of fuel and water and I get hot water from the engine when it's in gear.

Should I keep on lurking slowly forward towards Bingly Locks as there is a turning point just before it.

I don't go fast and I am enjoying the boating bit so far

Thank you in advance (except you Grrr you know who you are. Where's my muffin you promised me )

I don't go fast so will spend time frolicking and communing with nature ( or screaming and chasing it off the boat)

TA

When it's in gear? Does it not heat the tank with just the engine running, in neutral

I think it probably does or will do if run for long enough at a higher rev. Since Max became a nautical wizardess Water Orchid hasn't really gone any distance until recently, when Max found she had hot water. It's possibly doing the batteries some good also, unless they have died a death waiting for a proper charge.

Max. I was going to suggest having a look at Silsdens yard, but didn't want you walking all the way there to find they are all locked up.

There's some nice canal between where you are now and the top of Bingley Locks.

Thank you Robo. Bridges was on the Big Boaty Fear List before I tried it myself :)

I would say most boaters even quite experienced ones don't know how to do a swing bridge single handed and won't even attempt it, the fact that you have got this far says a lot.

ADVICE TIME PLEASE

I have a full tank of fuel and water and I get hot water from the engine when it's in gear.

Should I keep on lurking slowly forward towards Bingly Locks as there is a turning point just before it.

I don't go fast and I am enjoying the boating bit so far

Thank you in advance (except you Grrr you know who you are. Where's my muffin you promised me )

I don't go fast so will spend time frolicking and communing with nature ( or screaming and chasing it off the boat)

TA

Its quite nice at Bingley, limited mooring at the top of the lock flight if the hire boats (if there are any) are there. There is a bit if a shelf on the right hand side as you are looking towards the top lock so you might need to put the gangplank out for the animals. There used to be a good cafe there but its a few years since I was there so i dont know what its like now. Shops and services aplenty in Bingley, only ten minutes walk away.

Its worth watching boats using the staircase, one of the wonders of the waterways. Oh, and the Damart factory is between the 5&3 rises if you need any unmentionables to keep you warm in the winter. Open every day except Sunday.

Edited by Stewart Kirby

Thank you all for the kick up the bum and the motivation :)

Next time I go out (Saturday or Sunday morning) I will take pics of the electric gauge thingy. I do know it drops pretty sharply to below 75% after the engine has stopped and no electric being used in the boat. It goes to the very light green bit touching yellow nearly ( I don't do techi thingy bobs)

Haven't done a lock on my own yet but I don't mind waiting ( they are moosive).

Going to clean my stove and chimney tomorrow as I have found lots of chunky ash on the roof. Is that supposed to happen? Filled up coolent header with water ( is that ok) Pennine Boats did anti freeze the engine or where ever you put anti freeze)

Might as well keep plodding forward then :)

So far the forum has forced me to buy this boat, forced me to buy this weird pup, forced me to fix the boat up including ripping out stuff and now forced me to go on my first 'Big grown up girl' expedition.

This forum forces me to do a lot of stuff :) (apologies to Bingley)

(Fingers crossed they force me to paint Cuthounds boat just like mine)

Edited by MissMax
  • Greenie 1

(Fingers crossed they force me to paint Cuthounds boat just like mine)

Well done Max for getting the hang of things.

You might want to paint your boat like mine. It's a lovely shade blue. Oh hang on wasn't yours blue once...

Edited for spillung.

Edited by cuthound