Having a senior moment...

Captain Pegg

Featured Posts

When did that happen? I started teaching in 68 and can't remember ever coming across that.

About the time the cane was 'banned'

About the time a 'ruler across the knuckles' was banned

About the time throwing the black board rubber was banned

About the time that taking part was more important than wining

About the time when if you didn't 'win' at sports day, it was because you were 'not yet ready'

About the time when if you didn't 'win' at sports day, it was because you were 'not yet ready'

I would tend to agree with the last 2 but I can't agree about the child abuse. Would you expect/allow your boss (assuming you have one) to do any of the first 3 to you?

While I may not agree wholeheartedly with your first three points, there is a case for some form of physical punishment, not using implements though.

My wife taught secondary schools through the 70's 80's and 90's and found that discipline went down hill throughout this period. It got so bad that parents would come into school and take their children out of detention class, which was the final punishment left to teachers after everything else was banned. This made it impossible, because if one child was removed, how do you keep the others in.

I remember that I tried my best not to let my parents know I was disciplined in class because I'd get worse at home for being naughty. These days some parents assault teachers for trying to hold order.

Bob

• Greenie 1

some PC folks have chosen to label smacks as abuse. that just confuses the issue with serious physical or sexual abuse which are done for the pleasure of the abuser.

silly really, smacking and the like is the way many of the higher animals teach their young in the wild and it was the way humans taught their offspring for millenia until the PC brigade arrived, potentially causing a reversion in the progress of civilisation.

True I wouldn't agree on smacks being abuse but having been caned at school there is a world of difference between caning and smacking. Have you ever felt the effect of the strap (I think correctly called tawse) which was used in scotland.

There is a fine line between abuse and smacking and the first 2 listed are definitely abuse and the third when it hits also abuse. If not in a school I think all three would be classed as assault.

Why is it acceptable to allow this for children when an adult wouldn't accept it? Using your animal example animals sort "adult" problems by violence should that also be acceptable in our society?

detention class, which was the final punishment left to teachers after everything else was banned.

Then the head was at fault, as they could refuse to have the child in the school. I have taught children who were excluded from the local schools and the parents had to move 20 miles to get them into a school (remember we are a very rural area).

The child came in on the proviso he didn't breath out of tune and was as good as gold for the 3 years until he left.

True I wouldn't agree on smacks being abuse but having been caned at school there is a world of difference between caning and smacking. Have you ever felt the effect of the strap (I think correctly called tawse) which was used in scotland.

There is a fine line between abuse and smacking and the first 2 listed are definitely abuse and the third when it hits also abuse. If not in a school I think all three would be classed as assault.

Why is it acceptable to allow this for children when an adult wouldn't accept it? Using your animal example animals sort "adult" problems by violence should that also be acceptable in our society?

Then the head was at fault, as they could refuse to have the child in the school. I have taught children who were excluded from the local schools and the parents had to move 20 miles to get them into a school (remember we are a very rural area).

The child came in on the proviso he didn't breath out of tune and was as good as gold for the 3 years until he left.

...er, I suspect that this has gone just a tad off topic!judge.gif

Howard

Just angers me when they do that.

I use to get on a bus at school with a kid like that. He was a propper twat

Watch out billy, I used that word on here once to describe the kind of trolls we get on this forum. Although I got 8 likes from the general membership I also attracted a holy roller whom I imagine could look through a keyhole with both eyes at the same time.

I got into an interesting exchange of dialogue as he reported my profanity and of course the poor old mods had to get involved.

yeah, but ...............

we wouldn't be able to discuss these matters in a separate thread 'cos one of the mods would deem it political.

Yes and I could guess which one it would be...

Watch out billy, I used that word on here once to describe the kind of trolls we get on this forum. Although I got 8 likes from the general membership I also attracted a holy roller whom I imagine could look through a keyhole with both eyes at the same time.

I got into an interesting exchange of dialogue as he reported my profanity and of course the poor old mods had to get involved.

I've had similar. It's a unique word in that the regional variation it its meaning is wider than the Grand Canyon.

Around here it means a twit, only a bit worse. A pillock, perhaps. So it is widely used in general conversation in my family and circle of acquaintances.

In other areas of the country it apparently means a vagina, so I can see why some people go off the deep end when they see it used on here.

A Canada McGoose Burger, would that be tasty d'you think?

(not sure if this is getting the thread back on topic or not....)

I was once told the method for cooking Canada Goose.

1. Bring 2 pans of water to boiling point.

2. Put the goose in one and a brick in the other.

3. When the brick is tender the goose needs another hour.

Oh dear, what bollox.

Well my friend was still there on Saturday. I resisted the temptation to give them a 'kiss' with the back end of the butty. It is the place where Atlas & Malus normally stop to give the D of E group their final brief on clearing up as they head back to base. The toll islands are really useful for the pair as they are for single handers. This particular one is good for getting a brew and preparing the boat for Netherton Tunnel and generally doing what needs to be done. To block one for at least three days is selfish.

As I passed I held my arms out wide and mouthed 'why?'. The guy came out and said 'live and let live pal'. That just suggested to me he knew it was wrong. As it happened Paul on Atlas knew the offside was deep enough. We ended up stopping in the next bridge hole.

When I returned a few hours later on Vulpes I tried to go outside the island as fast as possible and to be fair there was no complaint from within. So maybe he at least practices what he preaches.

Edited by Captain Pegg

The toll house at Smethwick locks was restored by the BCNS I think. And almost immediately burnt down. The toll islands are a bit of a mess and some have very little water in them. I am not sure that the one at Windmill End is the only one not on the new Main Line (as opposed to toll narrows). The one at Bromford has at least had the brickwork on the island itself restored.

The toll house at Smethwick locks was restored by the BCNS I think. And almost immediately burnt down. The toll islands are a bit of a mess and some have very little water in them. I am not sure that the one at Windmill End is the only one not on the new Main Line (as opposed to toll narrows). The one at Bromford has at least had the brickwork on the island itself restored.

Tame Valley has 3 toll islands, one at each end and one by Rushall Junction.

I think that the toll island narrows on the New Main Line were dredged not that long ago, even with deep water the boat is going to slow down in a channel that is little wider than a narrow lock.

One of the New Main Line islands seems to have 3 lanes, it would be nice to see the middle one cleared out and usable.

Tame Valley has 3 toll islands, one at each end and one by Rushall Junction.

I think that the toll island narrows on the New Main Line were dredged not that long ago, even with deep water the boat is going to slow down in a channel that is little wider than a narrow lock.

One of the New Main Line islands seems to have 3 lanes, it would be nice to see the middle one cleared out and usable.

I should have known about the Tame Valley. Have been from end to end in the recent past. I agree that they will always be restrictive - the idea was that every boat had to stop after all - but the one at Smethwick is particularly slow. I think that is also the one that looks as though it has the additional channel.

On another topic I have seen two boats named Firefly quite close to your home over the past weekend. Do you know of these imposters?

Edited by Captain Pegg