Having a senior moment...

Captain Pegg

Featured Posts

image_zps83msrfyv.jpeg

When a number of your boating prejudices are confirmed in one go all you can do is laugh out loud. I was really hoping a head would pop out and tell me to slow down as I passed but as they seemingly hadn't thought about how shallow the outside of the stop narrows at Windmill End might be I couldn't give them that opportunity. In return for my bemused look through the cabin windows I got a cheery wave. Ignorance is bliss.

When I told Paul - my partner on Atlas & Malus - about this boat he said 'oh that one again, that's the boat we saw at Tipton trying to moor up with the bow thruster' (which we noted at the time was making bugger all difference despite the very loud whining sound). That comment made my day.

They were there at 0900 yesterday morning and still there at 2100 yesterday evening. If they are still there tomorrow they will be in the path of an ex-GU pair wanting to get home in a hurry.

• Greenie 1

Novice question??

What is the slab for and why is it there.?

Not that I know a lot about the BCN but it may have been a toll island / gauging point something like this:

1024px-Winson_Green_Junction_toll_island

The one pictured would of had a little office in the middle of the island.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toll_point

v0_web.jpg

http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw197.2.13.60

Edited by Ray T

They have at Smethwick top lock:

12885326465_2e4c79a1ef_z.jpg

Trouble is the locals don't appreciate them perhaps?

toll_house_smethwick_top_lock_0526b.jpg

http://www.grannybuttons.com/granny_buttons/2007/05/the_lost_ball_o.html

Sadly,this replica toll house no longer has a roof as the local 'yoof' have set it on fire a number of times.?

Novice question??

What is the slab for and why is it there.?

It is a toll island at the start of the Dudley No. 2 canal, I believe I went on the offside of it last time in came back fron Horne Basin (just of the heck of it), but that is not to say that it is deep enough for a working boat on the offside, so a completely rediculous place to moor.

Wasn't that boat featured on one of the old Waterworld programs, is it the same owners?

Just angers me when they do that.

I use to get on a bus at school with a kid like that. He was a propper twat on that you just wanted to punch all the time coz of it. We use to have a nice bus shelter but he kept smashing it eventually the council gave up repairing it but when it rained he would then throw a paddy as we all made him stand next to the side where the glass window was and he use to get soked (funny really) anyways his mum called the council and complained so they repaired it funny enough it never got broken again after he got wet!

Prob is i dont even think its a bordom thing i think its just stupidity bit like go to the beach as there is a post in the sea what do you do think lets see who can hit the post (we have all been there at some point with something like this) and i think it just spreads from there one preson smashes a window so another comes and brakes another eventually you run out of windows so there has to be a next. I love seeing the buliding but its pointless if there efforts are just going to be destroyed and unfortunately there just isnt much the cops can do about it.

Not that I know a lot about the BCN but it may have been a toll island / gauging point something like this:

1024px-Winson_Green_Junction_toll_island

The one pictured would of had a little office in the middle of the island.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toll_point

v0_web.jpg

http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw197.2.13.60

How does the toll man get to his office?

Just angers me when they do that.

I use to get on a bus at school with a kid like that. He was a propper twat on that you just wanted to punch all the time coz of it. We use to have a nice bus shelter but he kept smashing it eventually the council gave up repairing it but when it rained he would then throw a paddy as we all made him stand next to the side where the glass window was and he use to get soked (funny really) anyways his mum called the council and complained so they repaired it funny enough it never got broken again after he got wet!

Prob is i dont even think its a bordom thing i think its just stupidity bit like go to the beach as there is a post in the sea what do you do think lets see who can hit the post (we have all been there at some point with something like this) and i think it just spreads from there one preson smashes a window so another comes and brakes another eventually you run out of windows so there has to be a next. I love seeing the buliding but its pointless if there efforts are just going to be destroyed and unfortunately there just isnt much the cops can do about it.

it all started when schools started preaching 'respect', meaning respect for children, not respect for other people and their property.

in my day respect had to be earned, was not a 'human right', and yoofs who vandalised stuff never received any respect.

Edited by Murflynn

DrBurkstrom, on 28 Aug 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

You could rebuild them as cruise-through restaurants for boaters. Get your lunch handed straight to you at the tiller.

Macdonald's on the canals

!Yikes!

(I'll have a burger with duckweed salad, please....)