Female single hander

Tristesse

Featured Posts

Regards falling in,keep a ladder connected to your boat when moored up.

Could be helpful to you,or someone else who needs to get out.

Being moored here on line,in a boatyard, we've seen lots of single female liveaboard owners.

One moored lives here,New 60 x 12 and never been on a boat of her own before, and she's of slight build,and takes it out for short cruises on her own.

Col

We knew another slight in build lady,who lived aboard on her own.

She cruised every where,including the Thames, seen selfies of her going under Tower bridge.

She had done it for many years,but have now moved into a canal cottage up north a it.

Still keep in touch

Col

You can understand concerns (male or female) with 'headlines' like this :

From 'the other side' :

Vicious towpath attack

Friday, 26 August 2016 07:58

A TEENAGE girl resisting a man who attempted to steal her phone whilst walking the Dudley Canal towpath was viciously attacked, pushed into the water and her head held under.

The 17 years old girl was walking towards Purlin Wharf at 7.45pm on Tuesday night when he tried to grab the phone from her hand, but she resisted him, but he then attacked her, pushing her into the water as she would not let go of it, Alan Tilbury tells us.

Held her under the water

Luckily she could swim, and attempted to climb out, but he grabbed her and attempted to hold her under the water, but as she thrashed about he let go and ran off as another walker appeared and helped her out of the waterway.

The girl was obviously left very shaken by her ordeal, thinking at one point she was going to be drowned.

Taking it very seriously

The police are taking the attack very seriously and describing the man as mixed race in his late 30s to early 40s, around 5ft 8ins tall, of muscular build with short black hair and with a Dudley accent. Officers have been on the towpath and want to trace the man who pulled her out of the water.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

You can understand concerns (male or female) with 'headlines' like this :

From 'the other side' :

Vicious towpath attack

Friday, 26 August 2016 07:58

A TEENAGE girl resisting a man who attempted to steal her phone whilst walking the Dudley Canal towpath was viciously attacked, pushed into the water and her head held under.

The 17 years old girl was walking towards Purlin Wharf at 7.45pm on Tuesday night when he tried to grab the phone from her hand, but she resisted him, but he then attacked her, pushing her into the water as she would not let go of it, Alan Tilbury tells us.

Held her under the water

Luckily she could swim, and attempted to climb out, but he grabbed her and attempted to hold her under the water, but as she thrashed about he let go and ran off as another walker appeared and helped her out of the waterway.

The girl was obviously left very shaken by her ordeal, thinking at one point she was going to be drowned.

Taking it very seriously

The police are taking the attack very seriously and describing the man as mixed race in his late 30s to early 40s, around 5ft 8ins tall, of muscular build with short black hair and with a Dudley accent. Officers have been on the towpath and want to trace the man who pulled her out of the water.

While I understand the concern that type of article will be appearing in local papers all over the country with the main difference being the attack took place in the street.

• Greenie 1

Well, that's a different matter. Unfortunately, I think there was a thread somewhere here from a female boater feeling unsafe on her own, but on the other side of the coin plenty of threads about improving boat security, and internet, phone coverage etc., (for staying in touch).

Having just boated through London where there are quite a few ladies by their selves and then looked at all the bars and grills on the doors and windows of the flats in the area one has to say is a boat a safer bet than a flat?

Having just boated through London where there are quite a few ladies by their selves and then looked at all the bars and grills on the doors and windows of the flats in the area one has to say is a boat a safer bet than a flat?

They seem to attract a lot more attention from would-be thieves, undesirables and general weirdos who can go from the towpath and onto someone's boat in a single step.

I got mugged on a stretch of Camden towpath while walking home on a foggy, dark Autumn evening. Not that late, around 18:00. Something I don't usually do, would have been on my bike but for having an arm in a sling due to a broken shoulderblade. Two guys waiting just after a bridge, I walked past, one of them called out to ask me the time. I turned round, sussed out what was happening, turned and started running. Hampered by the arm, got caught and flung to the ground. The standard advice is to hand over your valuables, but I was so pissed off having just come out of hospital, I started kicking out and shouting for help (the arm was zipped up inside my jacket). This went on until one of them bent over and punched me in the gob to shut me up. To be honest, I was running out of steam and ideas and no-one was coming to help, even though there's a busy road just above the canal. After tossing my card wallet out on the ground, they took it and ran off.

Things I thought about afterwards: 1) take the standard advice 2) shout RAPE instead of HELP (still probably won't help in London) 3) get a powerful torch with a 'temporarily blind your assailant' mode

Edited by Sir Percy

I single cruise. I'm on the South Oxford having been out weeks from the river Stort. Just be sensible and moor up with other boats ( whether they are still there when you get up is a different matter), if you don't feel comfortable keep moving. Talk to lots of people at locks / when moored up, you make friends and contacts and boaters look out for each other. You will love it :-)

Swing bridges are easy for a girl... just wait for a bloke to come along and they'll be falling over themselves to help!

This is true. A short skirt doesn't work at lift bridges when I wear one

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Hi, I was wondering if there are any single women living aboard. I have been bitten by the narrow boat bug and I am seriously considering getting my own boat. However, I am on my own. Is it possible for a woman on her own to handle a narrow boat?

There's a lady of a "certain age" moored opposite us in the marina with a 70-or-so-foot Hudson Tug.

She goes off cruising by herself for months in end.

I know a lovely lady in her 70's who single hands as well, she made me jump this morning shouting 'oy' when i past her at 6am.

I say go for it, i single hand as a newbee but ive never done locks alone.

Too scared.

I feel reassured about the handling, wondered about the safety aspect. My family don't seem too keen on me taking off alone.

If you mean in regard to your own personal safety and vulnerability as a lone female I would wager you would be safer on the waterways than you would living in some other parts of the UK. The general crime rate seems pretty low and what there is relates to petty crime such as theft.

I can't recall one report on here or anywhere else of a Lome female being subject to any form of attack. Of course whether you actually 'feel' safe or not is another matter, no doubt Starry or Lone Wolf can advise as to how they ensure they minimise what small risk there is and can advise much better than me if this is indeed what concerns you.

Edited by MJG

Completely unrelated in some respects but not in another.

We often meet sole lady caravanners and campers. There was a young Austrian girl we met on our site in Italy this week who was happily back backing around Europe for the summer.

Occasionally she was joined by friends in the different countries she was visiting but in the main she was alone for most of the time.

She kept rellies informed of where she was headed for each day and rang in when she arrived. She also used her iPhone to let trusted rels know where she was.

Overkill perhaps??? but it helped her feel safe on her travels.

When I was looking at marinas I was taking to the manager as Whixall marina in Shropshire and they have 4 single women liveaboards, so absolutely,. And I know it may be different to CC, but the principle remains - they (I assume) cruise sometimes so handle a boat alone.

I cant think of a single reason why anyone couldn't do it if they wanted to.

Are you sure, your subscription payment cleared, including your regular user discount

Richard

Having just checked the payments I've made over the last 10 years, I couldn't find this subscription payment, which may have something to do with the fact that I only subscribe if my regular user discount is at least 100%.

Peter.

Another (quite new) solo liveaboard female here. Handling the boat is no problem. I think it's more technique than strength. I don't have so much experience or knowledge about boaty stuff like engines or electrics yet but am learning a lot and people are so helpful (especially on this forum). I have only been down the GU once mainly, so can't speak about safety in other places. But so far I have not felt threatened anywhere. Personally I would avoid mooring in industrial, derelict, or dark areas.

If you are on facebook I can refer you to a number of boating women-only closed groups. I find them great for moral support and the occasional bit of bitching. If you want to join them, send me a private message.