this topic is locked

Featured Posts

Maybe :

1) You have not 'signed in' so you cannot contribute.

2) You have been banned due to previous bad behaviour

3) You only want to contribute to threads which contain, humour, politics or religion - all of which have been 'locked'.

I've just wet myself laughing at your post Alan. Gotta go change my pants now.

Phil

• Greenie 1

Maybe :

1) You have not 'signed in' so you cannot contribute.

2) You have been banned due to previous bad behaviour

3) You only want to contribute to threads which contain, humour, politics or religion - all of which have been 'locked'.

Hi , I have signed in , I have not been bad , I do like humour but not politics , religion is whatever you want it to be . how do I get unlocked ?

why does it say this on all the things i read on the site , i can not join in the fun ?

Are you saying you're finding ALL topics ae locked? Or just the tiny minority of topics you want to comment in?

How many locked topics are you seeing in each page of say, "View New Content"?

The thing is, only about one in a hundred topics gets locked and usually because the thread has turned combative and/or nasty and posting rules keep getting broken, and the action is taken to close down the troublesome discussion.

Best advice is start your own thread if there is something you feel driven to say on a locked topic.

Just paste the link to a topic or two...........I suspect you're only looking at Virtual Pub topics. As has already been explained, A post count of 10 or more is needed to post in the Virtual Pub. (Posts in the virtual pub don't count towards the post count either). So you need to post in areas other than this to increase the post count.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=86734#entry1870761

I have seen this displayed at the top right of the page, on a number of occasions recently, when opening a thread, but the thread is not actually locked.

Maybe our technical bods can throw some light on this..........I can't reproduce it now tho'

Just paste the link to a topic or two...........I suspect you're only looking at Virtual Pub topics. As has already been explained, A post count of 10 or more is needed to post in the Virtual Pub. (Posts in the virtual pub don't count towards the post count either). So you need to post in areas other than this to increase the post count.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=86734#entry1870761

Good idea. Then the rest of us can check if it is locked for everyone or just the OP.

Posting up a screenshot showing the locked topics would be helpful too.

(To get a screenshot on a Windows machine, press the "PrtSc" button, or something similar. This copies the current screen image to the clipboard then you can save it as an image file.)

(To get a screenshot on a Windows machine, press the "PrtSc" button, or something similar. This copies the current screen image to the clipboard then you can save it as an image file.)

And Ctrl+PrntScrn copies just the active window instead of the whole desktop.

The same thing has been happening to me recently. At the top of the page where it say's 'reply to this topic' it say's 'this topic is locked'.

Typically it's not happening today.

Next time you see this, it would be interesting to know if the text reply box is still present at the bottom of the page, or missing.

Next time you see this, it would be interesting to know if the text reply box is still present at the bottom of the page, or missing.

I never thought to check if reply box at the bottom of the page was present. If it happens again I'll check and grab a screenshot.

Reading the topic of The Shrophire fly without being logged in the dark red flag at the top right of the topic was saying that the topic was locked,

It did this yesterday or maybe the day before, then, I saw someone had added to the thread. but it was still saying to me that the topic was locked.

I am now logged in and if your reading this all is well again!

I do apoligise if this makes no sence at all!

Nipper

Just to add that, I have just logged out and looked at the Shropshire fly topic and it is again locked!

Edited by nipper

It would be useful if the mods/admin could announce changes to forum rules/policy etc. I can't remember seeing any announcement about this new thing about needing 10 posts before posting in the VP.

They tell you nothing, that way you have to buy a program.

Phil

why does it say this on all the things i read on the site , i can not join in the fun ?

I don't think it says it on everything you read unless you only read the virtual pub posts. At least that is what I see. every post in the virtual pub has a gold notification top right of the first post in the virtual pub that says This Topic is Locked.I also do not know whether that notification is there if you are logged in. It is definetly there if you read the virtual pub posts whilst not logged in.

Me again , ok just checked and I can reply , as I am , to other topics except the one I want to ? so why do I have to look at stuff and comment on it , just to enable me to comment on stuff I want to , I come on here for a bit of fun and to stop me buying things on ebay !

Thanks all for the feedback.

Happy to take a look at the issue mentioned by the OP. - as mentioned and if it happens again please can you kindly provide the URL/web address that you see at the time along with a screenshot if possible. I see instructions have already been given but if you need help with this let us know.

Also, is it possible for you to outline steps you reached before encountering this problem, for example:

1. Visited canal world main page

2. Clicked View New Content

3. Clicked on the corresponding link to view the topic

This will help us troubleshoot it further.

Cheers

Me again , ok just checked and I can reply , as I am , to other topics except the one I want to ? so why do I have to look at stuff and comment on it , just to enable me to comment on stuff I want to , I come on here for a bit of fun and to stop me buying things on ebay !

If you are referring to the suggestion that you need a number of posts before posting in the virtual pub. I would suspect it is a sort of way of trying to ensure nobody joins the forum just for the virtual pub and has no interest in the boating side.

Just my guess.

Replying to my own post, yesterday I tried logging out and picked a random thread to view. Immediately I found the 'Thread Locked' button displaying at the top of the thread. No 'reply' box either at the bottom.

I signed back in and the "Thread Locked" button changed back to "Reply".

If I do not log in when I read the virtual pub posts I get this. EERRMM I have "attached this file so don't know if this works."

If I do log in then I get this.

The first one with the red circle is what I get if I do not log in. Also this only happens in the virtual pub and not on other CWDF forums.

post-10427-0-80213700-1472200791_thumb.jpg

post-10427-0-77185200-1472200851_thumb.jpg

Edited by pete.i

I may be wrong, but I thought that you couldn't respond to a thread or start a new one unless you are logged in.

haggis

My understanding too, but previously one was invited to register or log in rather than be told (incorrectly) the thread is locked.