What's the Problem with fenders down while cruising?

pig

Featured Posts

As per title.

I've owned my boat for 18 years, and always chug along with my fenders down.

Why is it frowned on?

I lift them in locks where there may be a width problem (Hurleston etc), but I can't see why it's a bad thing to have them down doing their job all the time?

Puzzled of Napton.

As per title.

Why is it frowned on?

I lift them in locks where there may be a width problem (Hurleston etc), but I can't see why it's a bad thing to have them down doing their job all the time?

Puzzled of Napton.

It does seem a bit odd to say they are doing some job when you are cruising but that you take them up at locks. What sort of cruising do you do that you need fenders when you are "chugging along"? What sort of boat is it that needs this protection?

Edited by Tam & Di

Initially, because of what I'd read on here, I used to lift them when cruising, then one day thought "why do I do this".

Couldn't think of any reasons, so henceforth have left them down. They only come up for locks, but I'm open to persuasion.

Initially, because of what I'd read on here, I used to lift them when cruising, then one day thought "why do I do this".

Couldn't think of any reasons, so henceforth have left them down. They only come up for locks, but I'm open to persuasion.

Mine only go down when I moor up! I do that less often than you go through locks

Richard

As per title.

Why is it frowned on?

Puzzled of Napton.

Personally I can't see the point of having them down whilst moving. I only use fenders on one towpath side of the boat when moored.

I think seeing a boat drag its fenders through the water is untidy and looks inefficient. I doubt it makes any real difference though in terms of boat speed or fuel used.

Just what I think of course but I am not particularly upset at seeing fenders down under way and folk are entitled to do as they please on the matter but what I do know is that I don't and won't do it.

I leave mine down simply because so few locks and they are wide plus it saves a lot of faff when I moor up, often the banks are quay headed in a very rough fashion with bits of iron work etc

Anyway if someone wants to cruise with fenders down why shouldn't they? It's their boat

Phil

• Greenie 4

Mine only go down when I moor up! I do that less often than you go through locks

Richard

Good point.

What I don't like is sharing a wide lock with another narrowboat with its fenders down. It can get a bit tight on some locks.

Good point.

What I don't like is sharing a wide lock with another narrowboat with its fenders down. It can get a bit tight on some locks.

Now, that's something you might do with us. I often drop a fender between us and another boat in a wide lock. The locks down our way are very generous

Richard

I now use small airplane tyres as my fenders as these even work with my 70 footer when moored on slight bends. I stick them on the roof when using locks.

Fenders should be lifted at EVERY lock if you are using narrow locks(and wide to be safe if travelling with another boat), you never know when a fender will catch on a lock ladder, a retaining bolt, a sticking out brick or other obstruction.

Least damage is a lost fender, followed by snapped retaining hook, then snapped welded fender holder, ripping out of a fender holder, hung boat, hung 2 boats!!, injury to bystander or crew from snapping item....

I have seen all these happen in the last 10 years boating. I have fallen foul of 1, 2 and 3 - some of the boats I have moved have had fenders which are impossible to remove without damaging action - so left in place....(3 was my own boat, on a single lock move to top up with water)

We use fenders only when mooring, and only bank side.

We get them from locks where they have been pulled off but the lock sides.

So that's why I don't find so many fenders now. I'm in danger of having to buy one!

Richard

Now, that's something you might do with us. I often drop a fender between us and another boat in a wide lock. The locks down our way are very generous

Richard

Yes it does depend on how wide a wide lock is of course and if the boats are likely to knock together hard but I am thinking of where using a fender can tighten things up in a lock that is only just OK for two boats.

If a boat insists on using them where I think it may cause an issue I will let the boat go on by themselves.

Edited by churchward

Yes it does depend on how wide a wide lock is of course and if the boats are likely to knock together hard but I am thinking of where using a fender can tighten things up in a lock that is only just OK for two boats.

Damn, we are back to thinking about what you are doing when you are boating

Where will that sort of behaviour end?

Richard

;)

I leave em down. Can't see the problem. Some protection when coming in to a lock landing and even in most locks. Obviously, up when in known tight locks.

We are currently on the Thames. A few pipe fenders pale into insignificance when you see the multi fendered festooned cruisers.

There must be many boats like ours which have fender eye sockets quite low down on the hull. This together with a slightly sloping gunwale makes lifting the fenders impossible, much as we would prefer not to cruise with the fenders down. Since moving close to the South Oxford we have invested in some fender hooks but have yet to deploy them so are not sure how successful they will be. Have any other boaters here used them?

Edited by Lysander

There must be many boats like ours which have fender eye sockets quite low down on the hull. This together with a slightly sloping gunwale makes lifting the fenders impossible, much as we would prefer not to cruise with the fenders down. Since moving close to the South Oxford we have invested in some fender hooks but have yet to deploy them so are not sure how successful they will be. Have any other boaters here used them?

I spent some time on a very tidy boat last week with fender eyes on the gunwhale. The fenders were easily removable, being held on with wooden wedges

Having served time at sea, the owner wouldn't be seen dead with fenders down underweigh. Learned standards stay with you

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Have any other boaters here used them?

Yes. We only use fenders on the bank side when we moor but one advantage of hooks over eyes along the gunwale is the height can be easily adjusted and they can easily be moved along to where they are needed. Not to mention easy to lift when you move off.

Yes. We only use fenders on the bank side when we moor but one advantage of hooks over eyes along the gunwale is the height can be easily adjusted and they can easily be moved along to where they are needed. Not to mention easy to lift when you move off.

Thank you. I hadn't thought about the ease of adjustment angle.

Thank you. I hadn't thought about the ease of adjustment angle.

Google 'Sheet Bend'. It's a very simple knot. We have a loop on each fender and attach it to the boat with a sheet bend, making it very easy to adjust the height of a fender

Richard

Google 'Sheet Bend'. It's a very simple knot. We have a loop on each fender and attach it to the boat with a sheet bend, making it very easy to adjust the height of a fender

Richard

I don't need to Google - I have a book called "50 Knots you Need To Know" which comes with its own pieces of practice string... clapping.gif

Edited to add: Thank you anyway - it's useful to know what these knots are actually for!

Edited by Lysander