Ex Hire Boats

Ragdoll Blues

Featured Posts

It really depends on how good the hire boat was in the first place, some are excellent value, but others were built to a fairly low spec, just good enough to survive the projected hire period. Like any other boat, you really need to know who built the shell and who undertook the fitout.

I know 3 people who bought ex Black Prince hire boats several years ago and they are all still very happy with their purchases and the warranty. Of course that is no guarantee that a boat bought from them now would be as good but they have a good track record.

I would have got one myself only they didnt have any semitrads when I was looking.

Top Cat

We have an ex-Canal Time boat, and have had a very happy couple of years so far with it.

Of course, these boats are not everyone's cup of tea, but I have noticed how much nicer other boaters are since we put the BCN Challlenge sign on the front! So much so that I haven't taken it off!

We have an ex-Canal Time boat, and have had a very happy couple of years so far with it.

Of course, these boats are not everyone's cup of tea, but I have noticed how much nicer other boaters are since we put the BCN Challlenge sign on the front! So much so that I haven't taken it off!

Yes, we get much the same looking like a hire boat

Richard

No! Its the name of the boat that does that! cheers.gif

I have heard a lot of good things about ex black prince boats. You can see they're designed to withstand more wear and tear compared to your typical boat. If I ever look to buy another boat, I'd certainly consider one.

I know 3 people who bought ex Black Prince hire boats several years ago and they are all still very happy with their purchases and the warranty. Of course that is no guarantee that a boat bought from them now would be as good but they have a good track record.

I would have got one myself only they didnt have any semitrads when I was looking.

Top Cat

I've had my Black Prince boat for 9 years. It had two previous owners between its life as a hire boat and me owning it. And it's in good nick. They're great boats. :)

Goodgurl of this parish also has an ex Black Prince hire boat.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I've had my Black Prince boat for 9 years. It had two previous owners between its life as a hire boat and me owning it. And it's in good nick. They're great boats. smile.png

We have had our Alvechurch boat for thirteen years (!). We have been the only owners. It's a bit rough and ready. We love her. smile.png

Ex hire boats are what they are. They have too many berths and not enough storage for a liveaboard. On the other hand, they are usually built in a way that is easy to maintain and simple to change. We are recycling Tawny's front bunks into a double bed at the moment

Richard

Mine definitely had too many berths (slept 8-10 before I converted two of the cabins into living space). But it also has masses of storage (three floor to ceiling wardrobes, two floor to ceiling shelved cupboards, one floor to ceiling hanging cupboard for wet gear, one half height shelved airing cupboard, plus kitchen and bathroom cabinets)

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Mine definitely had too many berths (slept 8-10 before I converted two of the cabins into living space). But it also has masses of storage (three floor to ceiling wardrobes, two floor to ceiling shelved cupboards, one floor to ceiling hanging cupboard for wet gear, one half height shelved airing cupboard, plus kitchen and bathroom cabinets)

TBH, that probably represents the changes between the building of Tawny and Mabel Stark*. Over time hiring has become less about the number of people and more about the comfort of the boat

Richard

*I love that name, it always makes me think about lion taming

It really depends on how good the hire boat was in the first place, some are excellent value, but others were built to a fairly low spec, just good enough to survive the projected hire period. Like any other boat, you really need to know who built the shell and who undertook the fitout.

Most replies by ex-hire boat owners seem to pooh pooh your post......any recomendations as to which those hire companies are that only build for the life of the hire period?

Most replies by ex-hire boat owners seem to pooh pooh your post......any recomendations as to which those hire companies are that only build for the life of the hire period?

Not really, we have had positive comments about three very large Hire Companies, all of whom already had a good reputation for decent quality boats. But there have been quite a few much smaller Hire Companies over the years, and some of them had very poor boats. Besides, I wonder how many people who have bought a low grade ex-hire boat are going to come on and say "I made a really bad mistake"?

Edited by David Schweizer

We're looking for a longer boat at the moment and I haven't ruled out an ex -hire boat, most of the modern day fleets seem to have been built by Colecraft, Reeves, Wilsons etc all respected builders. Teddesley have been selling off their fleet many of which were built by John Horton who used to work at Allen's - (they have a nice trad for sale at the moment but we're looking for a cruiser/semi).

The big selling point of ex fleet boats is the track record, certainly if you buy from one of the well known names. But in the context of the current market I think they are priced too high. For example we would probably want to change the heating - almost always gas - to diesel, fit a solid fuel stove, get rid of the second bed, upgrade the furnishings, fit a cratch cover, probably a stern cover as well, and probably have it repainted, certainly if it looks like a hire boat. Compare the cost of all that with buying a private boat of similar age and it doesn't make a lot of sense. Having said that, the options that Black Price advertise may be negotiable around the asking price so who knows.

Re spray painting - I guess that means they are using two pack/epoxy?

Ex Vikings afloat boat here, had it just over a year, ripped nearly all the inside out as was not suitable for a live aboard, two bathrooms, two bedrooms and the horrible seating/dining part was no good for me.

The one thing i would say is they get bashed around a lot, mine has some large dents in the bow, a life with no cratch cover on the front means the lockers/seats in the bow are rotten and need cutting out, being a cruiser stern also means you need to check for rust in the engine bay due to not being kept dry.

Didnt have a hook up either, only one socket on the invertor, now have full 240v through the boat.

All that aside though i love it, hopefully in the next few months it will be almost complete in terms of the fit out, just the horrible paint job to get rid off now.

My old boat was an ex hire boat pinder shell Black Prince fit out loved her she was sprayed any number of times over her life. I was very pleased with her handling and as I changed her inside to suit me a great buy that provided me with years of cruising pleasure

I see ABC Boat Sales have 2 more of their 70' Swan class boats for sale (Nov 2016)

http://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/mute-swan/

http://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/black-swan/

and one of the 48' Viking boats

http://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/valkyrie/

Currently listed -all are cruiser stern & the 70' have diesel central heating

Another ex Viking Afloat boat on a Colecraft hull. It came with a lovely Bukh DV36 and Aquadrive. We must have had it 16 years now and although I modified the front cabin a little and completely remodelled the back cabin over the years it has proved a very satisfactory purchase. Decent ex hire boats are often far easier to maintain with good access to all important parts. None of the batteries on the swim with fixed decking 3" above them.

I think that may be because they only buy the better ones, I have seen several hireboats on what I would call low end hulls