Septic tanks and emptying cassettes

Chalky

Featured Posts

Where we moor has a septic tank sewage system and we can't empty the toilet cartridge into it due to the blue killing the bacteria that make the tank function. What can we use in the tank that won't cause a problem with the tank but will still keep the loo 'fresh'?

Any of the 'green' toilet fluids should be OK; Brewers yeast tablets also had/has supporters.

Nothing at all is also OK provided it's not too warm and the cassettes are emptied fairly frequently.

Either way you will need to give the cassettes a really good clean first.

N

Nothing at all is also OK provided it's not too warm and the cassettes are emptied fairly frequently.

Yikes! I find that in the summer months I have to 'double dose' my cassettes with Elsan Blue ie: twice the recommended amount. I seriously doubt that using nothing would be pleasant!

Strange, I would sooner smell effluent than elsan blue.

To OP as per post #2, we use Odourloss in our black tank.

If previously used 'blue' then a thorough clean of tank/cassete is necessary or the blue will kill the good bacteria.

• Greenie 1

The ingredients of toilet fluids is an absolute minefield. Beyond the obviously undesirable formaldehyde, it is extremely difficult to find what's in them. The actual colour is NOT a guide. I use Elsan Organic, which is in fact green, and also claims to be completely 'green', but Bio Blue, which is blue (!) also claims to be 'green'. A previous green (coloured) one which I used at one time I eventually found with some difficulty to contain the same biocide as is used to disinfect cruise ships of Norovirus, so I don't know what that would do to a septic tank. As I said, a minefield.

We have been using cheapo fabric conditioner for some years now, very effective and the last couple of weeks have been trialing BLOO Foaming powder, it looks like we shall use a combo of the two products.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

We have been using cheapo fabric conditioner for some years now, very effective and the last couple of weeks have been trialing BLOO Foaming powder, it looks like we shall use a combo of the two products.

Phil

Does it actually foam? That could be interesting!

Yikes! I find that in the summer months I have to 'double dose' my cassettes with Elsan Blue ie: twice the recommended amount. I seriously doubt that using nothing would be pleasant!

It isn't - I have forgotten to put blue in on a couple of occasions and the out put is pretty disgusting.

Where we moor has a septic tank sewage system and we can't empty the toilet cartridge into it due to the blue killing the bacteria that make the tank function. What can we use in the tank that won't cause a problem with the tank but will still keep the loo 'fresh'?

May be worth while looking into the SOG vent system to fit to the cassette system as it doesn't require blue/green fluid I have this set up fitted to my camping car & it is excellent ;

I hav for years used Asda Biological washing liquid. no smell and no bad chems like blue.

not sure if its ok for septic tanks but cant see why not

Well obviously septic tanks (such as we have at home) are for any household waste water, which includes from washing machines. The only thing we avoid is large amounts of bleach, and I expect that applies to formaldehyde as well (not a common domestic item!). But washing powder of any kind would be OK.

We run a glamping business and all the tents have a bathroom with shower and Thetford Excellence portapottis. The commercial products are nasty - formaldehyde etc - and definitely not friendly to septic tanks. We use sodium percarbonate which is an oxygen bleach and one of the main ingredients of Nappisan. I buy it in 25 kg sacks as we do over a thousand changes during the summer season. It works very well, no smell and is good for septic systems. Dissolve a heaped tablespoon in warm - not hot water or you will blow up your portapotti with excessive oxygen production - and put half in the bottom chamber and half in the reservoir to help lubricate and keep the bowl clean. It is also excellent for bleaching whites.

• Greenie 1

We installed septic tank sanitation system last year at the boat club and were told by the EA that under no circumstances should blue be used. We have been trying various alternatives including Silky RX, Elsan Green, yeast tablets etc.

Silky RX seems to work for holding tanks but does produce a 'sweet' smell, it doesn't work for those who have tried it in cassettes, probably because it needs a longer to establish a culture.

To be honest we have yet to find the perfect solution, even those trying green as an alternative have been disappointed with the results.

We run a glamping business and all the tents have a bathroom with shower and Thetford Excellence portapottis. The commercial products are nasty - formaldehyde etc - and definitely not friendly to septic tanks. We use sodium percarbonate which is an oxygen bleach and one of the main ingredients of Nappisan. I buy it in 25 kg sacks as we do over a thousand changes during the summer season. It works very well, no smell and is good for septic systems. Dissolve a heaped tablespoon in warm - not hot water or you will blow up your portapotti with excessive oxygen production - and put half in the bottom chamber and half in the reservoir to help lubricate and keep the bowl clean. It is also excellent for bleaching whites.

Never heard of 'sodium percarbonate' before, so I looked on Amazon, it looks amazing stuff, and being eco friendly too. Apparently it works much better than 'Vanish'. Off now to order some.... thank you!

To be honest we have yet to find the perfect solution, even those trying green as an alternative have been disappointed with the results.

Unfortunately I thinks it's a fact that as products are either made safer for health and safety reasons or to make them environmentally friendly the very component that makes them effective is the very one that needs to be removed and substituted.

Regrettably the substitute ingredient never seems to be as effective as that which it replaced resulting in an overall inferior product in lots of cases.

Over many years of caravanning and boating we have almost continuously used 'proper' Blue. No doubt at some point it will be outlawed meaning we will have no alternative other than to use another product, but until then 'Blue' it is for us.

Jennifer McM, on 08 Aug 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

Never heard of 'sodium percarbonate' before, so I looked on Amazon, it looks amazing stuff, and being eco friendly too. Apparently it works much better than 'Vanish'. Off now to order some.... thank you!

'Ow much?? (thirteen quid for a kilo)

cheaper on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1KG-Sodium-Percarbonate-Pure-Granular-Coated-Oxygen-Cleaner-Bleach-FREE-P-P-/221233276862?hash=item338287e7be:g:yAMAAOSwBahU4xbY

Even cheaper at Tesco, own brand at £3-00 a kilo.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Even cheaper at Tesco, own brand at £3-00 a kilo.

Phil

Thank you Phil, but.... not being a chemist by any stretch... is there anything in the ingredients that might be dodgy to ecosystem?

I'm a nervous newbie boat.gif

Ingredients:

Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate, Linear Alkyl Benzene Sodium Sulphonate, C12-15 Alcohols, Citric Acid, Tetra Acetyl Ethylene Diamine, Protease Enzyme, Amylase, Parfum [Parfum, Hexyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Eugenol, Coumarin, Linalool, Limonene]. Tesco colours oxy power stain remover powder 500g contains amongst other ingredients: >30% of Oxygen based bleaching agents <5% of Non- Ionic Surfactants, Anionic Surfactants 100g contains: 0.33g Peracetic Acid (From 40g Sodium Percarbonate & 0.5g TAED Also contains Enzymes and Perfume., For an Ingredients Datasheet visit www.dpi.uk.net, This product has not been tested on animals. We fund research into alternatives

Thank you Phil, but.... not being a chemist by any stretch... is there anything in the ingredients that might be dodgy to ecosystem?

I'm a nervous newbie boat.gif

Not a chemist either but use the stuff in our washing machine which empties into the water, the fish are very happy round the boat as are the Otters and water fowl including Kingfishers, Cormorants etc etc.

There are no warnings on the packaging so I'd hazard a guess and say it's OK

If it was hazardous I figure that the water companies would have demanded it be withdrawn from sale years ago.

Just my opinion

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Industrial grade sodium percarbonate is pretty hazardous. If you are going to use it at least read the MSDS sheets and don't smoke! It's used to make explosives and should not be stored in or near combustibles. And don't mix with any other cleaning chemicals.

• Greenie 1