* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

I can see the enormity of the task even though not everyone can appreciate it.

Would you be willing to send out copies of files of the recordings to members here to spend the hours necessary reviewing them perhaps? Then perhaps we can organise ourselves to share out the work.

No small task, but assuming the boat is visible on a camera when static, it only needs a daily dip sample at first light to spot which day it went, then a review of that day at fast forward to nail down the time, then a review of the important footage. If it's a case of watching a camera pointed at the marina exit and playing 'spot the boat' it's a bit more challenging, but fast forward with a quick rewind will still help move things along.

The Video files for cctv are humongously large, probably impractical to share them.

I haven't managed to get a post code for a canal towpath yet. And, yes, I have tried on a couple of occasions when we called the police

Richard

I don't know how they are allocated. But if, for example, you said that a boat was moored in PE14, that would narrow it down enough to make a search easy.

There has been no follow-up to the rumoured sighting in Godmanchester yet. Has anyone looked around there?

I haven't managed to get a post code for a canal towpath yet. And, yes, I have tried on a couple of occasions when we called the police

Richard

Postcodes are for the convenience of the mail deliverers. No buildings, no letterbox, no postcode. An area might be caught up in a wider area postcode in the rural but it's not guaranteed, and in urban areas a postcode can be one address. When I worked managing and supporting a police command and control system, one of the jobs was constant updates of the gazetteer of locations where no postcode existed - beauty spot car parks etc. I put all the bridge numbers for the bits of the Basingstoke in the county on it, but not may of the dispatchers would know to ask for it. We had to call an ambulance to the boats a few weeks ago: used the road and number for a nearby cottage and stood outside to redirect them.

I don't know how they are allocated. But if, for example, you said that a boat was moored in PE14, that would narrow it down enough to make a search easy.

Got it! Yes you could use the area part of the postcode, although in our case that would cover the entirety of Kenilworth and the surrounding area

Richard

This raises an interesting point. How did he ask where the boat was moored, given the boat has no name?

How did he describe it? Did he quote the CRT number? Name the builder? State the colour and age? Or what?

He asked for the pontoon. So he knew the boat and the pontoon but did not know the marina

No small task, but assuming the boat is visible on a camera when static, it only needs a daily dip sample at first light to spot which day it went, then a review of that day at fast forward to nail down the time, then a review of the important footage. If it's a case of watching a camera pointed at the marina exit and playing 'spot the boat' it's a bit more challenging, but fast forward with a quick rewind will still help move things along.

The Video files for cctv are humongously large, probably impractical to share them.

I am doing that

He asked for the pontoon. So he knew the boat and the pontoon but did not know the marina

Without wishing to add to the rife speculation - that does rather suggest he was acting on instructions from a third party.

He knew the pontoon???!!!!

This is beginning to look more like a 'take back' by the builder or finance company than a theft.

How on earth would he know in advance which pontoon it was moored on, one wonders...

Repossession is rarely announced in advance. That would be counterproductive. I would expect the owners to have been written to after the event though.

• Greenie 1

Copy of email to findmyboat:

"I was handing out leaflets at Great Haywood just now and a boater told me she saw a boat very similar to yours but green, yesterday, heading north on the T&M between Weston and Aston marina.

She was very uncertain about the ID but I thought I should pass it on. I'll copy this to CWDF in case there's someone about between Stone and Aston who could look for it."

Meanwhile, we've leafletted AngloWelsh and Great Haywood marinas, boats tied between the junction and Haywood lock and boats tied on the Wide. We'll do it again this afternoon after boats have arrived for the night here. We've put a copy on the side of the boat and Sheila is sitting in the well deck doing crochet and talking to anyone who stops to read the leaflet.

This is beginning to look more like a 'take back' by the builder or finance company than a theft.

How on earth would he know in advance which pontoon it was moored on, one wonders...Repossession is rarely announced in advance. That would be counterproductive. I would expect the owners to have been written to after the event though.

Could have been the guy who chatted to Chris and Graham about their boat. Very easy to steer the conversation round to where they moor...

Bloomsberry reporting in

Just cycled along the towpath from Shobnall in Burton-on-Trent up to the Nadee in Willington with no sighting of any suspicious boats.

It's unlikely they would be this close to Mercia but as someone has stated, it may have changed hands by now and the person who has it could be unwittingly heading towards the scene of the crime.

How on earth would he know in advance which pontoon it was moored on, one wonders...

Repossession is rarely announced in advance. That would be counterproductive. I would expect the owners to have been written to after the event though.

Really??

When it comes to property or boat with a secured marine mortgage on it I think you will find you are incorrect on that point.

I wouldn't recommend sharing CCTV files, they come under the data protection act.

Also if they do hold any evidence that is relied upon in court they may become inadmissible if they have been viewed by unauthorised parties.

No, it looks like loose talk, normal talk, at a lock when out on a cruise. The questioner knows what he wants but the boater is, as usual, happy to talk to all about everything.

Copy of email to findmyboat:

"I was handing out leaflets at Great Haywood just now and a boater told me she saw a boat very similar to yours but green, yesterday, heading north on the T&M between Weston and Aston marina.

She was very uncertain about the ID but I thought I should pass it on. I'll copy this to CWDF in case there's someone about between Stone and Aston who could look for it."

Meanwhile, we've leafletted AngloWelsh and Great Haywood marinas, boats tied between the junction and Haywood lock and boats tied on the Wide. We'll do it again this afternoon after boats have arrived for the night here. We've put a copy on the side of the boat and Sheila is sitting in the well deck doing crochet and talking to anyone who stops to read the leaflet.

Could have been the guy who chatted to Chris and Graham about their boat. Very easy to steer the conversation round to where they moor...

I'm stationary at Aston Lock at the moment, been here for 3 days due to the lock closure at Shardlow. Definitely nothing here. Nothing moving between Shardlow (probably even Derwent Mouth to be honest), and above Weston Lock. Shardlow Lock won't be repaired for at least 5 days, possibly a week and no room to turn round anywhere so everything at a standstill down here. Hope that helps x

Really??

When it comes to property or boat with a secured marine mortgage on it I think you will find you are incorrect on that point.

Finance companies threaten in advance to repossess, but I suggest they never write in advance saying they'll be turning up at (say) 10am on Monday morning to collect the car. The car would never be there if they did this.

I'm stationary at Aston Lock at the moment, been here for 3 days due to the lock closure at Shardlow. Definitely nothing here. Nothing moving between Shardlow (probably even Derwent Mouth to be honest), and above Weston Lock. Shardlow Lock won't be repaired for at least 5 days, possibly a week and no room to turn round anywhere so everything at a standstill down here. Hope that helps x

Thank you for the input. The Aston Lock where you are is different from the Aston to which Bruce refers. Bruce's Aston is the lock midway on the Trent & Mersey just by Aston Marina.

Finance companies threaten in advance to repossess, but I suggest they never write in advance saying they'll be turning up at (say) 10am on Monday morning to collect the car. The car would never be there if they did this.

My understanding is the obligations under a marine (and domestic) mortgage are different from Hire Purchase.

I also think you are unhelpfully barking up the wrong tree.

Edited by MJG

My understanding is the obligations under a marine (and domestic) mortgage are different from Hire Purchase.

I also think you are unhelpfully barking up the wrong tree.

All tree need barking up.

Helpfully barking up the right tree (in your opinion) has yielded nothing so far.

Thank you for the input. The Aston Lock where you are is different from the Aston to which Bruce refers. Bruce's Aston is the lock midway on the Trent & Mersey just by Aston Marina.

Sorry to confuse things. If you need help in my area, please let me know. I have a bicycle and nothing much to do for a week!

Good luck x

Looking at the plotted map, we seem to have a gap in declared searchers between Hawkesbury and Braunston, through Nuneaton and Rugby. Anyone in that area?

Jo

I did from Marston to Cov basin on foot yesterday, Beaker did Atherstone through Nuneaton a few days ago i believe as he found the plates at Harshill.

I think ditchcrawler has gone down the ashby and headed/heading down the north oxford?

Looking at the plotted map, we seem to have a gap in declared searchers between Hawkesbury and Braunston, through Nuneaton and Rugby. Anyone in that area?

Jo

im going through hawkesbury today heading to braunston, also another forumite is heading that way in front of me.

Hi all

The boat was spotted moored at bridge 32 on the Trent and Mersea, next to the Fayre and Square pub. which is about an hour and a half from Willington and Mercia Marina, by a CRT checking license plates. This was on the 11th of July, so it our guess that he stopped the same day as the theft. We do not know the time he took our boat I.e. Morning or afternoon, nor the time the CRT member logged our boat.

This seems to be a fairly critical piece of information, but not hugely picked up up on in the posts that have followed it.

Assuming the CRT checker has recorded the boat correctly, it establishes that the boat was already out of the marina on that date. Assuming that the taker isn't wishing to hang about, it would surely, as you say, be fairly likely that was the date it was removed.

How hard is it to look through CCTV recordings for just 1 day?

So am I right in thinking that the boat was taken 15 days before it was reported?

It seems fairly conclusively so, doesn't it, though nobody is really picking up on this.

As has been said, if it was, and the person removing it is serious about getting away, I think any part of the connected waterways in the UK is just as likely as the areas being concentrated on. Probably more so, in fact, why would they be anywhere just a few days cruising away when they have had a fortnight to be many many miles away?

I know there is focus on where the plates were found quite correctly but on the off chance it is a deception and the boat is considered going up the T&M have C&RT declared the boat not to have gone through Harecastle tunnel ? Also thinking about this if the boat did not have a name how easy is it to just put any number on... Or a number of one of the othe MCC boats?

Has anyone checked the Caldon yet.... Sadly I am too far away but happy to do a few night bridge hopping via the motorbike next week if not?