Back Door Catch issue

Keajre

Featured Posts

Dear Friends,

I'm looking for a solution to find some kind of catch for the backdoors. The way the doors open is possibly quite unusual as they only open 90° . So it makes finding a catch to keep them open more challenging. I don't want to use the hook style where you have to attach the hook each time. Rather I'm looking for something that I can just push the doors open and the catch will engage automatically .

I have searched several Chandlers but I can't find anything.

Any thoughts for ideas are gratefully received

post-24573-0-08145900-1465630116_thumb.jpeg

Oh I do hope you get some really good suggestions! Mine's got cabin hooks and they're really not good as the damned things chip the paint. Fitted slightly more thoughtfully they may have been better, but more tapped holes by the current ones are somewhat undesirable. My musings have been about magnets, but I've not found the right mix of components yet. I'll watch your thread with interest.

I was also going to suggest magnets, you can get small powerful ones. You could attach at the point were the door hits the cabin by double sided tape to see if it works out ok, and then Araldite to make it permanent.

How about a couple of gas struts?

Problem is the ones for cars are maybe have too much force (100N or more) where as the ones for cupboard doors are available at 50N (sometimes called 50Nm on ebay because the sellers don't know the difference between Newtons (N) of force and Newton Meters (Nm) a measure of torque) may not be very rain/rust resistant. But for a few quid on ebay it may be worth a try.

Added

Of course the other concern is they will push the door fully open even if you only want it part open

I am beginning to think this is not a winner.

Edited by Chewbacka

Forget chandlers what about the door stops that hold doors open fastened to the floor some are a toggle arm some are a toothed catch that the door runs over .

Hardware shops are a boaters friend.

Edited by b0atman

We have magnets on our doors and the cockpit sides. They work a treat. Our boatbuilder didn't like the idea of hooks as you can catch yourself on them. We added thin rubber discs to them to stop the bang as they engaged.

Ps they've been on for two years with no issues at all.

Edited by MHS

I was also going to suggest magnets, you can get small powerful ones. You could attach at the point were the door hits the cabin by double sided tape to see if it works out ok, and then Araldite to make it permanent.

I like this is idea, but the point where the back door touches the cabin is only a very small surface area, also the contact point is close to the hinge so it causes a leverage affect.

I do like the idea of magnets though thanks

We have magnets on our doors and the cockpit sides. They work a treat. Our boatbuilder didn't like the idea of hooks as you can catch yourself on them. We added thin rubber discs to them to stop the bang as they engaged.

Ps they've been on for two years with no issues at all.

Sounds ideal! Would it be possible to get a picture if that OK? Thanks

Forget chandlers what about the door stops that hold doors open fastened to the floor some are a toggle arm some are a toothed catch that the door runs over .

Hardware shops are a boaters friend.

Only trouble is, the doors open between two deck boards, in the middle is the drainage duck.

How about a couple of gas struts?

Problem is the ones for cars are maybe have too much force (100N or more) where as the ones for cupboard doors are available at 50N (sometimes called 50Nm on ebay because the sellers don't know the difference between Newtons (N) of force and Newton Meters (Nm) a measure of torque) may not be very rain/rust resistant. But for a few quid on ebay it may be worth a try.

Added

Of course the other concern is they will push the door fully open even if you only want it part open

I am beginning to think this is not a winner.

Ah interesting idea thanks. I guess soon as you opened the catch / lock the doors would Spring open? Could work, though they might rust I suppose

post-24573-0-77941100-1465716542_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Keajre

Hi Kearje

We are going on board on Tuesday, so will try and upload photos from my iPhone.

We have been so pleased with our set up. I will see if I can check what pull they have. It's certainly quite a few kilos each. We deliberately wanted to have to give them a firm tug to have to part the magnets.

Obviously you need to get a north/south pair so they attract, and don't try putting them together before mounting!!!!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by MHS

Hi Kearje

We are going on board on Tuesday, so will try and upload photos from my iPhone.

We have been so pleased with our set up. I will see if I can check what pull they have. It's certainly quite a few kilos each. We deliberately wanted to have to give them a firm tug to have to part the magnets.

Obviously you need to get a north/south pair so they attract, and don't try putting them together before mounting!!!!

Cheers

Mike

Looking forward to seeing!! Thanks very much :-)

Thanks, they look pretty good might give em a go

The screwfix type we have on our bathroom door. It's great. Perhaps not obvious from the pic but the button bit to the right (the bit that goes on the door) is spring loaded so if you bang the door open it's cushioned a bit. The bit on the left can be orientated either vertically as shown, or horizontally from a wall etc.

The screwfix type we have on our bathroom door. It's great. Perhaps not obvious from the pic but the button bit to the right (the bit that goes on the door) is spring loaded so if you bang the door open it's cushioned a bit. The bit on the left can be orientated either vertically as shown, or horizontally from a wall etc.

And will hold at any angle

Thanks, they look pretty good might give em a go

A number of reviews on the Screwfix site refer to them going rusty outdoors, otherwise they look ideal. If you do try them, please let us know how you get on with them outdoors.

I'm with the magnet vote, but thinking in reverse, how about something that pushes the door open.

Advantage is nothing on the outside.

Disadvantage, will depend on space and what force they will exert. Might just give you an idea though http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-Surface-Mounted-Spring-Arm-AUTOMATIC-DOOR-CLOSER-/191194961491

Probably will go rusty it was my first thought tbh. Waiting for MHS to post a picture of their solution . . . :-)

I hope to do it later today, and post links to the specific kit I used. Back on board this afternoon. Cheers Mike

Hi these are the magnets and bump stops that I used. They show a small amount of rusty colour. They have been on for 2 years, and I've not had a go at polishing them up.

With a combined 22kg pull, this sounds a lot, but it's perfect. The bumpers will reduce this slightly, and you use your body weight anyway.

Magnets

http://www.first4magnets.com/circular-disc-rod-magnets-c34/20mm-dia-x-10mm-thick-x-5-2mm-c-sink-neodymium-magnet-11kg-pull-p2958

Bumper stops

https://thestickystuffcompany.co.uk/magento/1912-6-b.html

Cheers Mike

post-15003-0-65448900-1466003084_thumb.jpeg

post-15003-0-29310600-1466003202_thumb.jpeg

Awesome, thanks Mike, I am going to follow suit. I have seen very similar magnets on eBay. I will buy, fit then post on here! Thanks so much for taking the time to post your design.

That being said, the actual gap is only 20mm or less hmm

post-24573-0-08017600-1466066317_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keajre